Structuring: Stupidest Law Ever?

I suppose, but if you're just some Joe Schmoe who wants to deposit more than $10,000, you have to explain yourself to the IRS. So what do you have to do then? Make several smaller deposits over time? That sounds incredibly inconvenient and illogical.

Making several smaller deposits over time is structuring. What are you trying to say?

Making several smaller deposits over time is structuring. What are you trying to say?
I'm saying let me deposit money without shitting my pants worrying about the feds knocking on my door.

also can't travel w/ more than like 9.9k in cash on you (like through customs, for instance)

at least that is what movies like Blow have taught me

If you're not cheating on taxes, you can deposit how ever the fook much you want.

Never knew about this law. It sucks and is overreach IMO. I know people who have received or paid out more than 10k in CASH for a car. Around 2003 I met a man who owns a large construction business. He sold his 1 of 107 built 1971 Hemi Cuda around 1999 for $85k cash to his friend. He wishes he kept it as it's probably tripled or quadrupled in value since then. Imagine him having to fight the IRS in court over depositing that kind of money?

Back