Striking - progress thread

O

The OP said specifically that he had a disability related to his knees.

To clarify. I didn't say I had a dissability related to my knees. I had a slipped disc in my back which left me in excruciating pain for 4 or 5 years. I have no further problem with this nowadays at all and I'm fitter than ever, but I mention it as a reminder to myself for how far I've come since then, and to show others that a lot of problems in life are fleeting. The experience of over coming great physical pain and basically having my entire life stalled is what likely led me to being able to avoid snapping when people give me grief - I developed an incredible level of patience and insight into a suffering I may not have appreciated before and raised my mental understanding of the world around me. I tie the spiritual/mental nature of martial arts together as one, so yes my experience with a dissability is 100% relevent to any martial arts I perform.

The other problem is just tight hamstrings and not a dissability. The tight hamstrings are also relevent to this equation as I feel that limitation has allowed me to work with my own method of kicking which is unique to my fighting style. It also makes working under a teacher difficult, as while I try my best to listen to the trainer I find the motion of some kicks unnaturally difficult to the extent I had to understand my own body to develop a kicking style that suited me. I'm not saying I wouldn't like looser hamstrings, but sometimes you gotta work with what you have.

7) saying no room at the in - what does this mean ?
I dropped round before Christmas and they said they were "full" and accepting no new members until september (they only opened last sep), so I figured the use of no room at the inn fitting to the senario. Well actually it's between saying full and saying they're taking time to focus on current members. Both of which I find unusual because the gym didn't look that full and the other is sort of exclusuion. I've been in some pretty small and packed gyms, and typically if people watch ther space, allow for jump ropes, and divide up the areas into seperate activities there's room a plenty.

Last edited:
For the kicks flexibility, flexibility and more flexibility. Your hips are really tight not letting you extend your foot and turn it horizontal on contact in your roundhouse and you're not rotating in your spins so it's between a spin side or full back kick.

Best thing I ever did is sets of 5 pivot from base stance to chamber, extend as high and far as I could, retract to chamber pivot back to base stance. Do that as slow as you can. Keep careful attention on your base leg and foot at first. It'll feel totally like shit, but if you're serious about this you'll keep at it and after a while it will improve. The next 5 speed them up but keep close attention to the points of body mechanics you're sweating in the slow ones. After a while I'd do 5 slow 5 medium then 10 fluid fast 15 fast with power. Front, Roundhouse, side, spin back, spin hook, axe kicks and more. All with that same ramping up. Then work the heavy bag to adjust for balance correction from impact.

That's just the simple mechanics for kicks, you can use the same formula for all the upper body technique, first to work good body alignment that'll produce power and speed.

Then there's the footwork segment and then combining each to finally build a solid set of fundamentals under what you are filming yourself doing.

May take a few years to work all the parts, but hey this is a lifetime commitment, LOL!

First and last!

Stretch, stretch and stretch!

@Yugo King @j123 @Sano @AndyMaBobs @Universal Kombat

I was relaxing over the holidays so didn't respond, but I went outside and did some shadow boxing from clearer angles. As I said earlier youtube picked up music in the background and put in a copyright claim, so I wound up having to shield it with unclaimed jazzy background music. I thought it actually went quite well with it so I made a longer second one below with a bit more humour to it.

I added some screen wipes to go pure blacksploitation ninja. The full clip is closer to 20 mins training footage but made this brief clip for a laugh. You can't say I wouldn't make a bad ass 1970s beat cop though.
@fluffball I told you I wasn't kidding

Try not just to stay in one place, work on taking angles, and pursing. Its more realistic. Treat shadow boxing like you're sparring with an actual opponent, if you hit them, will they stay there and continue eating the rest? Or will they move away (backstep, side, etc) or counter back? Base it off those scenarios.

Any reason why you're hung up on the spinning backfist combination?

Good choice of music.

I was relaxing over the holidays so didn't respond, but I went outside and did some shadow boxing from clearer angles. As I said earlier youtube picked up music in the background and put in a copyright claim, so I wound up having to shield it with unclaimed jazzy background music. I thought it actually went quite well with it so I made a longer second one below with a bit more humour to it.

I added some screen wipes to go pure blacksploitation ninja. The full clip is closer to 20 mins training footage but made this brief clip for a laugh. You can't say I wouldn't make a bad ass 1970s beat cop though.
@fluffball I told you I wasn't kidding

First video: arm punching with no head movement or footwork.

Second video: you don't have a unique style of kicking, you're just bad at kicking.

You have some speed, but it's holding you back. You're trying to go too fast because you're proud of your speed, but it's causing you to sacrifice form in an effort to maximize that speed. Be fast with good technique instead. The only way to do that is to slow down and actually learn technique from a qualified coach. Good luck.

Any reason why you're hung up on the spinning backfist combination?

Good choice of music.

It's fun first and foremost. And the momentum carried through from the first kick seems like a shame to waste.

Realistically I don't think I would use it in an actual fight, but it feels great to do. I guess if I was in a rough situation or jumped by multiple opponents I might throw the spinning backfist but I agree in most situations there are probably better tools to use. Kicks as well are actually something I'd consider high reward-high-risk to use. I've always felt pure boxing is the safest stance.

It's fun first and foremost. And the momentum carried through from the first kick seems like a shame to waste.

Realistically I don't think I would use it in an actual fight, but it feels great to do. I guess if I was in a rough situation or jumped by multiple opponents I might throw the spinning backfist but I agree in most situations there are probably better tools to use. Kicks as well are actually something I'd consider high reward-high-risk to use. I've always felt pure boxing is the safest stance.
For now focus on the basics:
  • stance
  • retaliating ASAP (in sparring)
  • tight guard
  • throwing combinations (majority of your strikes should be combinations and not single strikes)
  • interrupting opponent's combos with your own combo (try not to let them get more than 3 strikes on you)
  • ring control (controlling the center) / pressing forward
  • breathing
Once you have a good grasp, then its okay to move onto some more "fancier" things

TS, so far you've had helpful posters, and people talking crap right off the bat. So please allow me to fall somewhere down the middle.

Personally, before I even begin, I'd like to say we're most likely being trolled. Anyone remember that "rate my body punches" video? This is similar. And to be fair I've thought about trolling on here myself. So let's all keep that in mind. But if you're not trolling... I'll tell you why people are very skeptical.

You have next to zero technique in just about anything you posted. In a forum where typically, the frequenting people who do this, are people who take it seriously as a hobby, your lack of expertise is so much, that people here aren't used to it (except for troll threads) or first day noobs at the gym who would have been corrected instantly the moment they let off on the bag like you did.

Bwahhaha hilarious post

Shadow boxing from a clearer angle on a different camera. The footage jumps in places because the camera was slumping on the cusion so I stopped to adjust it. The others were on my phone cam this is on a video camera.

Holy shit this is horrible lol.

Oh shit stop lol. Just stop. Get your ass into a real gym asap.

So to clarify. I must be defintely speeding up the camera because people can't punch that fast. Okay you may not be speeding up the camera but the frame rate is definetely making it look faster. Okay you must be creating a quantum disturbance in time because even if it is the frame rate on the camera is bad you're still throwing a shit tonne of punches in ten seconds which means you are an inter dimensional time bending traveller. Okay you might be somewhat fast but you're relying on your speed and sacrificing technique. Even if you are really fast that's not talent anyway. Even if you are fast lots of people are faster and being able to throw 100 punches in 10 seconds is a completely normal thing which is talented for them but not for you.

So in a nut shell we've gone from the accusation of speeding the camera, to admitting it might not be sped up, to saying it's not even impressive anyway. It was either fast enough to create doubt of its authenticity, or it's impressive, which is talent. Is being really fast a sign of talent or not?

I am listening to helpful advice, and I appreciate that effort. But it now feels as though I've been spun in a circle. If I lift a 600lbs weight over my head, get called a faker then it turns out to be true and get told that it's not even impressive anyway. Then why was I called a fake?

So to clarify. I must be defintely speeding up the camera because people can't punch that fast. Okay you may not be speeding up the camera but the frame rate is definetely making it look faster. Okay you must be creating a quantum disturbance in time because even if it is the frame rate on the camera is bad you're still throwing a shit tonne of punches in ten seconds which means you are an inter dimensional time bending traveller. Okay you might be somewhat fast but you're relying on your speed and sacrificing technique. Even if you are really fast that's not talent anyway. Even if you are fast lots of people are faster and being able to throw 100 punches in 10 seconds is a completely normal thing which is talented for them but not for you.

So in a nut shell we've gone from the accusation of speeding the camera, to admitting it might not be sped up, to saying it's not even impressive anyway. It was either fast enough to create doubt of its authenticity, or it's impressive, which is talent. Is being really fast a sign of talent or not?

I am listening to helpful advice, and I appreciate that effort. But it now feels as though I've been spun in a circle. If I lift a 600lbs weight over my head, get called a faker then it turns out to be true and get told that it's not even impressive anyway. Then why was I called a fake?

You want so bad to be talented and it's going to fuck you over. You are pretty quick, anyone who's saying you aren't is wrong, but I have bad news for you: fast guys are a dime a dozen in striking. Just like strong guys are a dime a dozen in grappling. Because you have a little speed you're throwing shitty arm punches with no leverage or built-in defense. Speed is an advantage that will be multiplied by technique, but trying to sprint your way through with bad technique is gonna get you hurt. Put your ego aside. Accept the fact that you aren't very special. Don't worry, I'm not either. Maybe one day you can be something special, but you're gonna need expert coaching for that like anyone else. More importantly, you're gonna have to deal with a lot of loss and a lot of failure. You're gonna have to deal with people much faster and much better than you. Yet here you are trying to convince an Internet forum how fast you are.

I'll say it again. You ARE fast. You are NOT very skilled. Invest in your skills.

just forget about the kick into spinning back fist into hook combination for a long while, it's horrible

focus on the basics

You want so bad to be talented and it's going to fuck you over. You are pretty quick, anyone who's saying you aren't is wrong, but I have bad news for you: fast guys are a dime a dozen in striking. Just like strong guys are a dime a dozen in grappling. Because you have a little speed you're throwing shitty arm punches with no leverage or built-in defense. Speed is an advantage that will be multiplied by technique, but trying to sprint your way through with bad technique is gonna get you hurt. Put your ego aside. Accept the fact that you aren't very special. Don't worry, I'm not either. Maybe one day you can be something special, but you're gonna need expert coaching for that like anyone else. More importantly, you're gonna have to deal with a lot of loss and a lot of failure. You're gonna have to deal with people much faster and much better than you. Yet here you are trying to convince an Internet forum how fast you are.

I'll say it again. You ARE fast. You are NOT very skilled. Invest in your skills.

The thing is, the speed is technique. The force behind them is coming from my feet, and that snapping motion isn't possible without technique either. If we're happy that the vids aren't sped up then the first few pages are irrelevent as are the demeaning coments. We're not going to pretend all gyms and the sherdog striking forum is loaded with purely elite talent, so laughing at someone's training footage is more of a sure sign that someone has never actually been in a gym ... or has an attitude that shouldn't be welcome in one, as laughing at people trying to train is discouraging and poisonous for any gym.

My experience in boxing gyms has for the most part been a depressing waseful experience, which hurts because I've long supported the sport. I've been bullshitted and outright abused in it but I didn't let that stop me from trying to train. At this stage it's just a waste of time.

I've started working with music more and incorporated it into the training. It's become a bit of a hobby but keeping time with the rhythm is a rewarding exercise none the less. I've also accidentally taught myself how to moonwalk as well so the experimentation is at least rewarding. To be clear, I'm not aiming for actual capoeira here, it's just kind of along those lines. Am I moving my feet enough?

(the rest isn't directed at anyone here)
The whole wannabe or tough guy attitude through combat sports is annoying. I've sufered a constant insufferable dissability for 5 years. Was brought to the point of near collapsing through an incredibly painful cortosone injection on my back nerve, a pain most humans will never come close to experiencing. I had to live thinking I might be like that for the rest of my life. I recovered and have since become one of the fittest people in my circles. I've gone rock climbing with no rope and for a time jumping off heights was one of my hobbies. I've gone travelling to the otherside of the world on a whim carrying just one bag and fighting is not a sport for me, it's just fun. I've had to sleep rough on the street on more than one occasion. One time I almost died. My first sparring match was me 170lbs against a 350lbs super HW who damaged my ribs so bad I was out for two weeks. I went back. My second sparring match was against an experienced super HW who agreed to light sparring then used me as a punching bag for three rounds. He hit me so hard it lifted me up, but I didn't fall down. I went back the next day.

So please stop acting like you're tougher than me or I'm somehow unworthy to be a fighter, most people would have killed themselves given what I've been through. I'm not even slightly depressed by it and wound up becoming more motivated. That isn't really aimed at anyone here, I'm just aware this is common logic throughout fight sports. I've gone after multiple career choices now and I keep getting blocked with this bizarre attitude that I'm somehow not able for it. If they had lived a percentage of my life, they wouldn't pass a day without crying. I don't care how tough they think they are.

Last edited:
If you're having fun then that's great, I'm shit at soccer and enjoy playing it. However I don't go on soccer forums posting videos of myself asking for an evaluation. To be perfectly honest you're getting ultra defensive at anyone who questions your perceived greatness, you seem slightly touched. Re-read "a guy"'s post. Nothing in that post indicated he thinks he's tougher than you. Nothing.

If you're having fun then that's great, I'm shit at soccer and enjoy playing it. However I don't go on soccer forums posting videos of myself asking for an evaluation. To be perfectly honest you're getting ultra defensive at anyone who questions your perceived greatness, you seem slightly touched. Re-read "a guy"'s post. Nothing in that post indicated he thinks he's tougher than you. Nothing.

I just happened to be quoting him, in that last part I said: "That isn't really aimed at anyone here" so it wasn't actually directed at him. It really should have been outside the quote. I made it a bit clearer in the post.

I also haven't said anything, intentionally at least, to flaunt some kind of "percieved greatness." A poster earlier said I was nice and polite. So if I haven't said anything in the thread like that then where did this idea that I was flaunting my percieved greatness come from?

Last edited:
Back