Striking From The Guard

TheGZA

Excellent! But not good.
@Brown
Reaction score
Watching this video of Imanari warming up got me thinking about using strikes from the bottom to set up sweeps and subs. Does anyone here train something similar for MMA or SD? Any other good videos?

Yeah, I practice it for sparring / SD.

I get a lot of millage out of Gracie University "punch block" 1-2 and 4 ;)

There are a bunch of videos of Greg Jackson teaching how to hit from top.

If both people kind of know what to do, striking wise, it is pretty good training. If the top guy doesn't know how to ground and pound but tries anyway, it is alright self defense. You just won't need anything outside of normal BJJ stuff.

Some of the kung fu / kali trapping works from top as well, since they can't back up from you, but you can still posture, you can do some sneaky strikes.

Watching this video of Imanari warming up got me thinking about using strikes from the bottom to set up sweeps and subs. Does anyone here train something similar for MMA or SD? Any other good videos?

Cool video, btw. That dude is really good.

There are a bunch of videos of Greg Jackson teaching how to hit from top.

That's a cool seminar. If you watch Bones' fight with Hamill, he does everything in the video exactly as Greg teaches it.

Do you ever practice using elbows from the bottom like Imanari does in the video? I've seen fighters use them, but I haven't seen anyone teach the techniques.

That's a cool seminar. If you watch Bones' fight with Hamill, he does everything in the video exactly as Greg teaches it.

Do you ever practice using elbows from the bottom like Imanari does in the video? I've seen fighters use them, but I haven't seen anyone teach the techniques.

Yeah.

All those elbows exist in Silat and Muay Thai. If you learn Muay Thai clinch fighting and BJJ well enough to be able to roll and clinch fight competently, especially if you learn the punch block series and that Jackson gnp, you can basically make it up on the ground.

They are just short elbows from guard positions, thrown from any angle, during clinch breaks.

The only reason people don't get good at it is because instructors do them too hard and their students cower from the pain, so they don't fight back, so the instructor doesn't even get or stay good. You can really mash someone's face and scalp up with short elbows and they could keep fighting if they were motivated, but students won't learn to use them if the instructor is hurting people.

You have to be careful. They aren't really "set techniques" as much as skill moving, so you have to do it a lot to be good.

lol young elvis....

Thank you, thank you very much........

My side elbows to Oma Plata or leghook guard is money

10142880_ufc-fight-night-68-results-brian-ortega_40a5b676_m.jpg

http://bestinmma.blogspot.com/2015/06/brian-ortega-vs-thiago-tavares-ufc.html

i would have posted a video, but the one you did is one of the better ones ive seen

imanari is a wizard

Back