Strike based jiu-jitsu

Javi showed me a techniqal way to use structure to rape choke from mount lol.....

Effective

Grip strength pretty much comes with training in the gi. Do Judo/BJJ for a couple of years and grip strength won't be an issue. It's not like you have to spend time in the gym to improve your grips for gi grappling.
Or, like me when I regularly trained both, you'll wake up in the mornings unable to use your hands.

(Javi starts teaching at 3:45)​

i personally love sport bjj and hate when my coach makes us do self defense techniques. but thats just me. im way too small to have any sort of success in an actual fight with regular sized people, so self defense instruction doesnt seem worth it to me.

i can hang pretty damn well sparring with guys twice my size in a bjj setting though. thats probably the best im gonna get, and its fun for me.

People tend to relate SD bjj with bear hugs and stufff... For me, SD bjj is when punches are allowed. I train mma and bjj, initially because in bjj we didn't roll with punches. In my mind, if you don't train with striking allowed, you are not training bjj, at least not the bjj that initially attracted 99% of us. I would really like a separation of both styles Combat BJJ and Sport BJJ, so I don't have any relation with that double guard pulling and worm guard stuff going on nowadays...

People tend to relate SD bjj with bear hugs and stufff... For me, SD bjj is when punches are allowed. I train mma and bjj, initially because in bjj we didn't roll with punches. In my mind, if you don't train with striking allowed, you are not training bjj, at least not the bjj that initially attracted 99% of us. I would really like a separation of both styles Combat BJJ and Sport BJJ, so I don't have any relation with that double guard pulling and worm guard stuff going on nowadays...
something like this?

something like this?

and this is why most JJ guys that ever tried mma sucked balls.

Nice kata stuff, but they spent more time practicing kata than anything. When sparring, after all the awesome tds and tenchinques he showed, when shit went down, it was all about good old single/double leg (really ugly by th way). The sparring session was a farce, whats the purpuse of going vs 2 guys who are just playing around with you? give you fals sense of security? Wont even speak on ground fighting, it was very whitebeltish to say the least.

You can train sport BJJ most of the time because the attributes and techniques you develop for the sport are for the most part going to work fine in a real fight, but you have to roll with punches at least some of the time so that you do understand the differences. I didn't have a lot of trouble getting decent at BJJ with punches when I first started doing it having only done a lot of sport, but it did take a few sessions to get a feel for the differences.

Back