Strike based jiu-jitsu

Tomorrow!

10254009_10203635562320077_2324977963655987163_n.jpg

I agree, I had it happen to me, thought once I got a blue belt I was practically Robocop, until I was on the bottom of a self defense situation, and were it not for 1 little tip a training partner had told me in passing, that he learned from a MT coach, I would have not been able to escape the situation.

What's the tip that saved your ass?

I love ground and pound and ground fighting is my favorite part of mma. I would like to see this approach more, especially for people who need that wake up call and are to reliant off of there back.

My two cents:

"MMA": Is nothing more than a label for a sport. It isn't it's own fighting style. Amateur "MMA" in Georgia doesn't allow strikes to the head on the ground. In other states, you can, and pro "MMA" allows knees and elbows. Same "MMA" label, different rules. Hell, no-gi at NAGA is technically "MMA", since it mixes jiu-jitsu, sambo, wrestling and judo. All 4 are martial arts "mixed" together. "MMA" is nothing more than mixing different arts into a sport format.

Sport BJJ: I love it, and 90% of it is very functional in a real fight. I certainly believe it's a good idea to consider mixing in a few strikes (light, just to be aware of the openings) in case you ever get into a fight, but, not a deal breaker. If you are in it to be a great grappler and do a tournament, or sport fight with the label "MMA", then its great.

Street/"Combat" JiuJitsu: I personally find it a bit silly to mix street fighting with MMA or jiujitsu. If someone puts my in a triangle choke.....then my non-chocked arm is grabbing a gun or knife and shooting/stabbing the guy in the asshole. Seriously. Game over. Not saying BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai, etc, wont work in the "street". It absolutely will. But there are just too many variables. I'd say mix in some intense Krav Maga, with fake weapons, multiple attackers, if you want to prepare for the "street".

I personally don't do drugs or go out to nightclubs, and have almost no chance of needing to do a hand-to-hand fight in the "street". My goals are 100% sport based, so that's what I love!

What's the tip that saved your ass?
To open my eyes while being struck. In retrospect i'm sure I looked like one of the flailing TMA'rs in the gracie in action vids, until I opened my eyes and could deal with the strikes.

Last edited:
Awesome seminar! After going to the seminar I'm really interested in learning Javi's entire strike-based jiu jitsu system.

It is a shame that with the focus on sport jiu jitsu nowadays that this style of self-defense jiu jitsu won't be as appreciated as much as it should be.

Awesome seminar! After going to the seminar I'm really interested in learning Javi's entire strike-based jiu jitsu system.

It is a shame that with the focus on sport jiu jitsu nowadays that this style of self-defense jiu jitsu won't be as appreciated as much as it should be.

Good to hear. Tell me, does it really differ so much from light MMA training?

Might just have to start rolling with palm strikes or body shots a bit here and there. If nothing else it will help you to know what positions to avoid.

Good to hear. Tell me, does it really differ so much from light MMA training?

Might just have to start rolling with palm strikes or body shots a bit here and there. If nothing else it will help you to know what positions to avoid.

There are two major differences

#1 - Javi shows what works in a real fight, not what is legal under unified rules. He is going to show you how to set up an upkick from the guard and he won't concern himself so much with whether or not the attacker has one knee on the ground

#2 - The mindset and strategy. In Javi's system the idea is DEFENSE, don't take damage is the rule not "win the fight". MMA is an offense based sport, even if you aren't getting hit you can't hang out on bottom, if you want to win you have to fight your way up, but for Javi he is pervectly fine being on bottom if it means he is safe and protected. He never sacrifices defense for the sake of offense.

There are two major differences

#1 - Javi shows what works in a real fight, not what is legal under unified rules. He is going to show you how to set up an upkick from the guard and he won't concern himself so much with whether or not the attacker has one knee on the ground

#2 - The mindset and strategy. In Javi's system the idea is DEFENSE, don't take damage is the rule not "win the fight". MMA is an offense based sport, even if you aren't getting hit you can't hang out on bottom, if you want to win you have to fight your way up, but for Javi he is pervectly fine being on bottom if it means he is safe and protected. He never sacrifices defense for the sake of offense.

Great post - Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, thanks. That's really a big difference.

Several reasons I don't train MMA:

1) I like the gi, I find it much more technical and less attribute-dependent than nogi.

You can do a lot of techniques with the the gi, but they are attribute dependent upon having grip strength and stamina to obtain and maintain those holds.

You can do a lot of techniques with the the gi, but they are attribute dependent upon having grip strength and stamina to obtain and maintain those holds.

Grip strength pretty much comes with training in the gi. Do Judo/BJJ for a couple of years and grip strength won't be an issue. It's not like you have to spend time in the gym to improve your grips for gi grappling.

Grip strength pretty much comes with training in the gi. Do Judo/BJJ for a couple of years and grip strength won't be an issue. It's not like you have to spend time in the gym to improve your grips for gi grappling.

I know LOTS of gi guys who work their grip in the gym outside of BJJ. I've been training in the gi since I started, but spent at least half my mat time without the gi, I had to do some serious grip training to hang with the gi guys.

FYI

Brian McLaughlin said:
10678782_10100509880941580_9080453962752874830_n.jpg

Javier Vazquez will be back at Precision MMA for an intensive two day camp.

The focus will be using and defending strikes from the top and bottom.

This is NOT your normal seminar - there will be two 90 minute sessions each day for a total of 6 hours of training.

Javi will provide techniques, drilling and sparring time, he will watch you in action and give you usable feedback.

For any of the fighters I train, this is your chance to learn from the source.

Much of what I teach it parroted from Javi's style, you will be a better fighter if you attend this seminar.

I will be teaching a free seminar at Precision MMA Saturday September 20th for anyone who pre-registers for the camp as my way of saying thanks. I will also teach a bonus seminar at any school that pre-registers at least 5 people.

Javi's Sessions will be
  • Sat October 11th from 12-1:30 and 2:15 - 3:45pm
  • Sun October 12th from 12-1:30 and 2:15 - 3:45pm

Pre-registration Price - before October 1st
$179 for the entire camp
$95 for a single day

Day of the camp price will be $210 for the camp or $125 per day​

At what point does combat oriented BJJ just become grappling based MMA? Is there even a line? Does it matter? I just always wonder why people looking for combat based BJJ don't just train MMA and learn the whole thing.

Because I don't need to be punched in the face daily, but mixing strikes in once a week for a little realism isn't gonna kill anybody

Judo? No... Javi says judo isn't good.

Back