Stretching routine

sCratchZ

White Belt
Reaction score
What is good stretching routine for a beginner ? I have streched all my life in p.e classes, soccer pratice and boxing classes but now I am not doing any of the 3 and I would like a streching routine to go along with my weight lifting and conditioning workout .

Strange no one has answered you yet.
I'm kind of curious as well because I find myself getting pretty sore after Muay Thai.
I need good stretching as well.

The search function is your friend.

search.

but as you ask try yoga.

ashtanga yoga is particularly good.

For the past week I've been following the Pavel Tatsouline Super Joints programme. I always proceed stretching with foam rolling, and the first thing I stretch are my hip flexors. I think anyone who sits all day at work or school would be in a similar situation of having extremely tight hip flexors. After foam rolling and stretching the hip flexors, stretching everything else becomes much easier.

I've had great sucess with "Elastic Steel" but the cost was bit of a rip. I'm going to yoga now with the wife and I'm getting to the point of being able to do splits.

I'm getting to the point of being able to do splits.

gay

Yoga is pretty sweet though, for mobility and flexibility. The Pavel books, in particular "Super Joints" have some really good stretches for mobility.

It might be gay but my wife likes the new angles of my attack;)

Splits were allways impossible for me till one day I decided to use an exercise ball to sit on to take the pressure of the stretch off. As I gained flexibilty I just let some air out of the ball to make it smaller. No need for those expensive stretch machines. Plus on the ball you can roll your hips around to work the range of motion.

I don't stretch a lot.

I do

Shoulder dislocates
Pec stretches
Deep squats with an arched back, this also helps with ankle mobility
Hip stretches (deep lunge position)
Hamstring stretch (bend over, touch toes, keep back straight)
Quad stretch (grab your ankle behind your butt while standing, flex glutes)
Groin stretch (sit on floor, soles of feet touch each other, try to touch knees to the ground)

If you want to do high kicks or whatever, you probably have to stretch more.

I actually found that trying to kick high helped getting my kicks higher but that concept dosen't sell many books.

I don't stretch a lot.

I do

Shoulder dislocates
Pec stretches
Deep squats with an arched back, this also helps with ankle mobility
Hip stretches (deep lunge position)
Hamstring stretch (bend over, touch toes, keep back straight)
Quad stretch (grab your ankle behind your butt while standing, flex glutes)
Groin stretch (sit on floor, soles of feet touch each other, try to touch knees to the ground)

If you want to do high kicks or whatever, you probably have to stretch more.

This is pretty much what I do as well. In addition I do a few more shoulder mobility movements, but that's about it. For the hips and legs after doing what you listed I do some slow stretching - trying to pull my leg over my head, things like that.

And ya, I've been trying to do the splits too. I use a chair though.

One thing I found that was helpful was to move my hips around wherever I am. So when doing the lunge stretch I'll reposition my hips, like Shakira sort of, then try and sink down a bit further. Same with the splits, I'll move some side to side a bit.

I also do like a hulla-hoop/belly dancer movement to loosen up my hips.

Is that gay?

DW probably has some input on lower body flexbility.

Would it be beneficial to stretch once in the morning and once at night? For flexibility purposes.

They say that's the best way although I've any combination of two a day works for me such as one after working out and one before going to bed. The key here is to not get too sore to stretch that often so take it easy on the stretches.

Tonight I took some of your eight year old advice like reading a book. I got a decent stretch. I do pizza delivery so hip flexors were essential. Thanks for being great sherdog wisdom progenitors and I hope u enjoy this strong eight year removed bump from a semi drunk Bumfuk townie in saint paul wit the chalcedony pony. Dawgin it up.

Back