Stretch shortening cycle

i much rather see a video of him actually doing all this stuff he talks about. Lets see a proper hook with elastic recoil from Curious George.

I am not going to demonstrate it better than this guy:
mQJ5gn.gif

You rotate the torso, the angular vector is on the imaginary circle of the arms, the centrifugal force vector should be on the line of your opponent going outwards of the circle, just draw a force diagram if you don't understand.

http://users.etown.edu/w/wunderjt/syllabi/Chapter 13 REVISED FOR FYS.pdf
"Angular momentum may be transferred from one body part to another as total angular momentum remains unaltered § Angular momentum can be transferred into linear momentum, and vice versa"

That's like physics mechanics 1, if you've studied something biomechanics related you should know a shit more about physics otherwise I really don't get how you've passed your courses.
You didn't explain jack shit. You are just scouring wiki, youtube and google for something that you can throw in there. "The vector is on the imaginary circle of the arms, centrifugal force going out in line with your opponent" Yeah, AND SO?

Then you are pivoting to how angular momentum can be transferred from one body part to another, which has absolutely zero to do with you explaining how it pertains to the hook. Just naming forces and phrases doesn't get anywhere. Centrifugal forces is actually inertia seeking to straighten a curve path thus leading force outward from the axis of rotation, centripetal forces are the forces that acts opposite to that keeping in its fixed circular path pulling it towards the axis of rotation. SO WHAT? How does that have anything to do how to manipulate the power during punching, as in, what is your practical biomechanical example? Btw, the golf video has more to do with decreasing the moment of inertia and thus improving angular velocity, in line with the conservation of angular momentum, than centripetal force, but you didn't know that even though you posted it.

So far in this thread you have proved you don't know anything about what a slapping hook is, you don't know anything about what the stretch reflex is (elastic recoil remember?), you don't have any practical information about physics and you've been proven wrong on all accounts spewing nonsense. Your threads sucks, and I'm done with this conversation.

You didn't explain jack shit. You are just scouring wiki, youtube and google for something that you can throw in there. "The vector is on the imaginary circle of the arms, centrifugal force going out in line with your opponent" Yeah, AND SO?

Then you are pivoting to how angular momentum can be transferred from one body part to another, which has absolutely zero to do with you explaining how it pertains to the hook. Just naming forces and phrases doesn't get anywhere. Centrifugal forces is actually inertia seeking to straighten a curve path thus leading force outward from the axis of rotation, centripetal forces are the forces that acts opposite to that keeping in its fixed circular path pulling it towards the axis of rotation. SO WHAT? How does that have anything to do how to manipulate the power during punching, as in, what is your practical biomechanical example? Btw, the golf video has more to do with decreasing the moment of inertia and thus improving angular velocity, in line with the conservation of angular momentum, than centripetal force, but you didn't know that even though you posted it.

So far in this thread you have proved you don't know anything about what a slapping hook is, you don't know anything about what the stretch reflex is (elastic recoil remember?), you don't have any practical information about physics and you've been proven wrong on all accounts spewing nonsense. Your threads sucks, and I'm done with this conversation.

Stop giving definitions of high school physics terms.The golf video used the centrifugal force to increase the RADIAL VELOCITY, If you really have a biomechanics related degree and can only think of that you should ask your tuition fees back. I've wasted enough time with you people , I can only thank sane for clarifying the scc term at the second try(the first was the stretch reflex) but that's that.

The physics concept is this: https://sites.google.com/site/physicsofcatapults/home/how-a-catapult-works-the-basics

Last edited:
Stop giving definitions of high school physics terms.The golf video used the centrifugal force to increase the RADIAL VELOCITY, If you really have a biomechanics related degree and can only think of that you should ask your tuition fees back. I've wasted enough time with you people , I can only thank sane for clarifying the scc term at the second try(the first was the stretch reflex) but that's that.

The physics concept is this: https://sites.google.com/site/physicsofcatapults/home/how-a-catapult-works-the-basics

Finally something we can all agree on

so its a over complicated way of explaining how to use proper technique

That is his procedure and exactly what I wrote about his technical analysis some days back.
Lots of unnecessary discussions about trifling irrelevant details while ignoring the basic simple explanation of proper technique. Not really worth discussing as there isnt much to discuss.

@georgegreece
You are not doing yourself a favour by forcing these unnecessary dick swinging contests about physiologic / biomechanic /anatomic details were you lack proper education. Really it doesnt help anyone and thats what this sub forum is about.

Also there is no such things as slap hook in boxing, what you show is a boston slap or however they call it.

heres a slap hook for ya

mQJ5gn.gif

more

slapping with the hook tends to be a beginner mistake. How you cannot recognize that the hook in the gif you posted is not incorrect and that he is slapping as his forearm is not bent shows as sano has already mentioned you dont know wtf your talking about. there are slap hooks in boxing, its incorrect technique for a beginner, but more advanced guys can typically utilize it as a setup for something else.

heres a slap hook for ya

mQJ5gn.gif

more

slapping with the hook tends to be a beginner mistake. How you cannot recognize that the hook in the gif you posted is not incorrect and that he is slapping as his forearm is not bent shows as sano has already mentioned you dont know wtf your talking about. there are slap hooks in boxing, its incorrect technique for a beginner, but more advanced guys can typically utilize it as a setup for something else.

Nak Muay use the slap hook as well, it's a good distraction and can be used to move a high guard out of the way......

Hmm I'll be honest I didn't read much of this thread.

So someone may have said this:

The SS cycle is natural in everything we do. Think of our body as a rubber band that lengthens and shortens rapidly. this happens with we walk, run jump, punch etc. We don't need to focus on it for it to happen.

Hmm I'll be honest I didn't read much of this thread.

So someone may have said this:

The SS cycle is natural in everything we do. Think of our body as a rubber band that lengthens and shortens rapidly. this happens with we walk, run jump, punch etc. We don't need to focus on it for it to happen.

Yes pretty much but some people can utilize it more than others.

About slap hooks, these are called slaps, no one calls them slap hooks except you guys.
https://sports.vice.com/en_au/artic...tockton-slap-why-slapping-is-the-new-punching

Do you think a slap can KO a pro heavyweight? <45>

Last edited:
Some use it more than others is mostly genetics. While you can train it to an extent it's mostly dude to how you where born

No, the data actually suggests it can also be trained using plyometrics or ballistic training, something that boxing, MT, KB athletes do.

Like most of my sherdogging, I read the first page and then decided to jump in to reply without checking to see if it’s been covered:

Your stretch shortening cycle and elastic what ever Bullshit is all real. If you squatted 12” and paused for a moment before leaping straight up you will not jump as high as if you drop 12” and then immediately jump up. That’s the easiest way to understand it.

applying that to punching without loading/telegraphing your shots is tricky. You can slip and rip but I can’t really think of any other good ways to apply these principles.

No, the data actually suggests it can also be trained using plyometrics or ballistic training, something that boxing, MT, KB athletes do.
I did say you can train it to an extent.

However if you are trying to get more explosive it's easier to increase the force you produce then the speed at which you access said force.

Power = speed * strength

It's easier to get stonger while maintaining your speed than it is to increase the stretch shorting cycle while maintaining your strength.

The next logical question is why not increase both? If you are a person training to generally increase your power then I recommend you do just that. However if you are a fighter then that would be counter productive. Focus on one or the other while you are training your sport of choice.

Like most of my sherdogging, I read the first page and then decided to jump in to reply without checking to see if it’s been covered:

Your stretch shortening cycle and elastic what ever Bullshit is all real. If you squatted 12” and paused for a moment before leaping straight up you will not jump as high as if you drop 12” and then immediately jump up. That’s the easiest way to understand it.

applying that to punching without loading/telegraphing your shots is tricky. You can slip and rip but I can’t really think of any other good ways to apply these principles.

@thugpoet I am not sure about speed vs strength training, I guess you need both.

When using pendulum steps and shooting the jab you load and stretch the calf before exploding forward so you do use a stretch cycle, that's why I said Mexicans use this in some extent.
I turn the rear leg a little to the front when landing so the calf stretches more.

Not all punches can use it though e.x. jab with half step.

I understand it this way, you stretch and contract every muscle group that is involved in executing a punch with a timing starting first from the legs and ending to the hands e.x. in a leaping lead hook.
So which is right and which is wrong I don't know, use your own style whatever that might be.

Last edited:
george, do you have an actual education in this stuff? like, a uni course, degree, whatever?

because I know for a fact that @Sano does. And if I know someone has a degree in a thing and someone doesn't, can you guess who I'm more likely to trust?

Back