Strengthen lower back?

A lot of people that say they breathe are not doing diaphragmatic breathing or quite understanding how to do it. I thought I understood it, but I didn't until a biofeedback tech took the time to show me.

For some reason I thought the breathing originated from the diaphragm (hence diaphragmatic breathing?). If you have some issues with anxiety or stress, this is a really good way to stop it. When I breathe, it originates from the pelvis until you you fill up your lungs. I did something called "heart rate variability" before and my ideal count was 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out, hold for 2 seconds and repeat. For someone else it may be 3,3, 2 depending on their size? But in any event, you can do this anywhere and in any position. There's a phone app I use called "paced breathing" that can help you to do this by following along with the tone rather than having to count the numbers of in,out,hold until you get the hang of it. Try it for five minutes and see if you notice a difference in your mood. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of the breathing in this manner, but now I can change my mood within a matter of about four to six breaths. Closing your eyes will help too.

Rocking doesn't involve having you on your back, but stomach facing the floor on all fours. Rocking integrates your feet, ankles, knees, hips and shoulders which each rep.

Here are two examples of rocking (but not limited to these):

Play around with foot positions while on all fours will affect the movement as well. You don't have to move your feet for each rep of movement, but some will feel better than others. Avoid anything that is painful:

There are more versions of Rocking that you can find on Youtube simply by putting in "Original Strength rocking." That applies for the other five movements I listed as well.

Marching:

Neck Nods aren't chin tucks:

So how or who would you reccomend to to learn from to breathe properly (youtube video, in person assistance, etc) ?

So how or who would you reccomend to to learn from to breathe properly (youtube video, in person assistance, etc) ?

Hmm. Well I learned from a neuro feedback tech who taught me while hooked up to a heart rate variability device,which is a form of biofeedback. Seeing a screen of my breathing pattern (which was shallow breathing at first) was a good visual. There were two sets of patterns (my breathing) and the ideal (diaphragmatic) path that were running along each other side by side that I was trying to match.

If you want to save money by doing it on your own, you could probably learn by Youtube. I can't recommend one as I learned with assistance. I will add that if you do find a video, the best way to gauge if you're doing it right is that you feel quite a bit calmer and oxygenated.

If all else fails you can seek out a neuro feedback tech about heart rate variability or even someone that does biofeedback and they probably provide the same service.

Since I still have a low squat number ( I hit 176 lbs/ 80 kilos for 5 reps (3 series) last week and I was feeling the burn a lot in the lower back area), I'm thinking of switching to front squats for a while. My DL is stuck at 154.

I tried front squats yesterday with 40 kg/ 88 lbs and I felt it engaged the lower back area more than the back squat ( I go below parallel). I'd like to know if this would be productive for a month or so, or just stick to the good ol' back squat and just deload whenever I hit a plateau.

Also, sweet baby Jesus, the day I got the 176 lbs fatigue hit me very hard a couple hours later.

Thanks as always.
You just sound weak. Get stronger. You don’t need to target a specific weak point as someone already mentioned, because everything is a weak point. Your lower back will strengthen from doing more squats. Mark Rippetoe even mentions this in his squat tutorial videos. Your form could also be shit since you’re a novice lifter.

A lifting belt helps greatly with learning how to brace. Breathe air into your belly and then use your core muscles to push into the belt.

Your back will get stronger from squatting and deadlifting. You don't need to do anything else.

That isn't necessarily true. For example I personally need weighted back extensions, some type of weighted abdominal exercise, and something like glute ham raises to stay injury free. When I incorporate them regularly I'm very resilient to lower back injuries. When I forget to do them for months at a time, I can get minor injuries out of no where and not even from lifting.

My point is some people need specific work for legitimately weak areas. Some people don't (lucky cunts).

Back