Strengthen lower back? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Marfa, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Marfa Green Belt

Marfa
    Since I still have a low squat number ( I hit 176 lbs/ 80 kilos for 5 reps (3 series) last week and I was feeling the burn a lot in the lower back area), I'm thinking of switching to front squats for a while. My DL is stuck at 154.

I tried front squats yesterday with 40 kg/ 88 lbs and I felt it engaged the lower back area more than the back squat ( I go below parallel). I'd like to know if this would be productive for a month or so, or just stick to the good ol' back squat and just deload whenever I hit a plateau.

Also, sweet baby Jesus, the day I got the 176 lbs fatigue hit me very hard a couple hours later.

Thanks as always.

2. Oblivian Aging

Oblivian
    No offense to you TS, but the last thing someone moving that amount of weight can do is identify a specific weak point. First off, you just need to get stronger at the lifts. Second, your form could likely be off and be out of position which strains your back. There can be a place for core work, but you aren't even close to there yet. The lifts will strengthen your core.

corpse, Marfa and Sano like this.
  3. kevo1295 Brown Belt

kevo1295
    The number 1 recommendation that I would give you would be to find a knowledgeable coach who can teach you how to lift correctly. He will screen your squat and deadlift to ensure that your form is proper. Once the movement patterns are established, you can do your own thing. I see too many people rush into a program like starting strength, stronglifts, or 531, rush the process, then many people will eventually quit due to boredom or due to injury. Walk before you can run.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Marfa and Sano like this.
  4. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Agreed that the OP is weak enough that increasing virtually any lift will have carryover effects to virtually any muscle, but I'll push back and say that the training effect of squats and deadlifts past the novice stage on core musculature is.....severely overstated. Even on maximal deadlifts i've never experienced any level of notable abdominal fatigue (even compared to really basic gymnastic movements). Basic EMG studies (which of course aren't definitive) seem to back that up too.

Furthermore, just mechanistically, there's just no direct resistance against the contraction of the abs and psoas. What other muscle group would we think is developed maximally by just contracting it against the action of the antagonist isometrically? It would be like thinking all the posterior chain needed was tensing the glutes during military presses.

JauntyAngle, Kirra, Marfa and 2 others like this.
  5. Demogoblin Black Belt

Demogoblin
    yeah man , but , my posture just sucks in general i wear a shoulder- blade brace goes all around even goes around the back too ..my posture ( over the last couple of years ) and being i broke my hand a year ago, my pushups(with my broken -hand ) like are with bad form so that doesnt help my posture either .. so i wear the shoulder blade -strap brace around but it feels like i am wearing a bra and yeah im a 37 year old guy and then it radiates into my right thigh .. thing is i never get pain on the left side of my back , legs, or shoulder its weird

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 6:28 PM
  6. Demogoblin Black Belt

Demogoblin
    whenever i talk to my mom it feels like i am in a car and someone is driving up a a hill at 150 mph a hour and step slamming the brakes .. and my neck sends a electrical magnetic signals throughout my body and i can barely lift my hands ..

she talks like porky pig and talks over me and for the rest of the day or week my body feels like shit @corpse suggested a couple of things which helped .. a lot ..

but this guys in the youtube knows his shit and his stretches are not just some kinky girl who is trying to look good and get ratings ,subscribers
    those stretches just saved my life .. changed me from mr .Glass to average joe but average joe is better than mr glass

7. ThunderL1ps Black Belt

ThunderL1ps
    Good to hear.

I met him (Tim Anderson) before at the Original Strength seminar they did in Toronto a couple of years ago. Spent the day with him and one of his certified OS instructors along with maybe a group of 12-20 people. We did these exercises all day long. Really nice guy and yes, he knows his stuff. Highly recommended. I have one of his books and workshop book from the seminar. The channel is really worth exploring. If you can get to a seminar it is also worth it.

Have you tried all his resets (breathing, neck nods, rolls, rocking, cross-crawls/crawling/marching)?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    Demogoblin likes this.