Strengthen lower back?

Marfa

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have recently gone back to lifting due to a shoulder (acromioclavicular) injury, which is mostly rehabilitated now; I feel some inflamation after hard BJJ sessions but it isn't painful. I can do some lifting 3 times a week. Gym equipment isn't the best or most appropriate, and I can't switch gyms since I train BJJ there, plus I'm a cheap rat I guess.

I have tested the exercises, squat and deadlift, to see where I'm at and the numbers are depressing. I could barely deadlift 154 lbs (Yuropean here, I'm converting the weights, bar unaccounted for since it's not an Oly bar and I don't know how much it weighs, less than 30 lbs for sure) for 5 reps without resting due to my lower back being really weak. I tried squatting the same weight and it wasn't really a problem. I'm 6'1 @ 203, around 20%bf.

My intended routine is a 5x5

- Deadlifts or squats
- Bench press or dips
- Military press
- Rows
- Add pull ups and chin ups down the line.

How do I specifically strengthen the lower back since it's my weakest point? Should I assume it's not just my lower back but my core that is underdeveloped? How to fix it so I can start adding weight?

There was a time I could DL that same weight for reps like it was nothing. :'(

Thank y'all.

Advice on better routines is appreciated, the problem is the gym doesn't allow dropping the weights so I can't really do Oly lifts.

How about snatches with dumbells or kettle bells? My lower back always feels great after a session of these.

you have a nice basic routine there.
just follow this. squats, deads, rows are all fine exercises for the erectors.

maybe you try some easy stiff legged deads, glute lifts/hip thrusts with band or plates, easy hyperextensions for a warm up.

be patient.

Equipment isn't always needed. These should help your low back. Be mindful of your shoulder injury when doing the back bridge.

Equipment isn't always needed. These should help your low back. Be mindful of your shoulder injury when doing the back bridge.

does it stretch the abdominals too? once my left hand heals ill try it

edited 4:39 : holy shit this backward wall push is totally helping my hand holy shit i can feel the deepness of the stretch !<45>

Last edited:
does it stretch the abdominals too? once my left hand heals ill try it

edited 4:39 : holy shit this backward wall push is totally helping my hand holy shit i can feel the deepness of the stretch !<45>

Good.

If you do a full bridge you should feel a stretch in your abdominals. Back bridging is a full body exercise.

I found another vid that has some regressions and progressions that others may find helpful depending on their level.

There are other versions too that involve bending backwards and walking up and down a wall.

This is all really awful advice. Literally every answer is cringey. TS start a program like starting strength. Your back will get stronger from squatting and deadlifting. You don't need to do anything else.

This is all really awful advice. Literally every answer is cringey. TS start a program like starting strength. Your back will get stronger from squatting and deadlifting. You don't need to do anything else.

He will need to add more core work as plates get on the bar though. If you want to keep adding numbers on the DL and Squat, you need to work the shit out of your core and lower body.

He will need to add more core work as plates get on the bar though. If you want to keep adding numbers on the DL and Squat, you need to work the shit out of your core and lower body.

What type of core work? The gym has some ab machines, roman chair...

I have added hyper extensions on squat days and leg lifts on DL days. Maybe some planks? I don't really know what to add at the end of the workout to improve the core.

What type of core work? The gym has some ab machines, roman chair...

I have added hyper extensions on squat days and leg lifts on DL days. Maybe some planks? I don't really know what to add at the end of the workout to improve the core.

If I'm at the gym with a friend, I will get him to put some plates on my lower back and plank it as much as possible. Romanian deads are also a go to. Overhead farmer's walks are also incredible, you will feel that shit all around your core.

So many exercises to choose from.

Do good mornings. I started including them In my program and my deadlift and squat increased

If I'm at the gym with a friend, I will get him to put some plates on my lower back and plank it as much as possible. Romanian deads are also a go to. Overhead farmer's walks are also incredible, you will feel that shit all around your core.

So many exercises to choose from.

RDL's are excellent for building low back strength. Good mornings are a great tool as well, even very light with barbell only to get warmed up.

Hollow holds or hollow rocks, plank holds (add weight as needed mentioned above) for core work. I also love overhead farmer walks...if you have access to an axel bar try that.

Bullshit.

Squats and deadlifts work the shit out of your core and lower body.

You don't NEED to add more core work to continue to add plates to your squat and deadlift. The Squat and deadlift are core work.

Assistance exercises can help if you have a specific sticking point, but few people are at a point where they NEED something more than more volume to help them increase their squat or deadlift. He's deadlifting 154 lbs. What he needs is to get under the bar and put in the work, not do a bunch of ridiculous functional exercises.

No. Just squatting and deadlifting will make all the muscles in your "core" stronger. It's all you need to do. If you like those other exercises and they're fun for you have at it, but they aren't necessary. If you can squat 2.5 x BW, your core is going to be plenty strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back