Strength Training is boring

T-Bone

Banned 2X but still here
Banned
Reaction score
I am currently doing it to enhance my bjj and MT. Been lifting on and off for decades... mostly bodybuilding routines, some power lifting, etc.

I personally change routines every 2 months or so because I do tire of the same routine. Sometimes changes related mild. Sometimes drastic.

I get little personal satisfaction from strength training, and have always felt that way. Bodybuilding routines give greater satusfaction to me.

How do you guys do strength training for years? I think I would shoot myself. :)

-T

Edit.
Had a change of heart... post 53.

Last edited:
When you are squatting 500 it will seem to you anything but borning.

Agreed, strength training is boring. But I do it for the results it brings, not its entertainment value.
I try to get my variety through the other half of my fitness routine; conditioning. Kettlebells, hills, burpees and all that - keeps things fresh.

I am currently doing it to enhance my bjj and MT. Been lifting on and off for decades... mostly bodybuilding routines, some power lifting, etc.

I personally change routines every 2 months or so because I do tire of the same routine. Sometimes changes related mild. Sometimes drastic.

I get little personal satisfaction from strength training, and have always felt that way. Bodybuilding routines give greater satusfaction to me.

How do you guys do strength training for years? I think I would shoot myself. :)

-T
I keep it interesting. You really can't see a benefit if you change it every 2 months. If anything change it up slightly. A little change can really spice things up. For instance, making it a habit to add 5lbs every 2 weeks will make it fun for me.

I think just doing the same thing day in and day out can be a grind and be boring. Some variety is good. And rest is good too.

Some people are very driven and nothing stops them. For others it's chore to stay at it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm not even very good but I never find it boring. I enjoy the continual challenge, the measurable improvements over weeks, months, years and I just feelgood about myself once I've done my lifting. It is very rarely a chore for me.

I just make it a habit. I also keep it interesting by throwing in different assistance exercises and playing drums; one form of physical exercise can get pretty boring.

I also have plenty of other hobbies to keep me entertained so strength training can go on the backburner for a bit if I want it to, which always makes it fun and fresh whenever I come back to it.

You're training in three different types of discipline - BJJ, MT, and lifting - and you can't devote all of your attention and focus on just one. And given that you're treating strength training as a supplement to your martial arts training, it can get difficult to make consistent gains, especially when you pass the beginner or intermediate level. Sometimes, you'll be stuck at a plateau for a long time (as it was for me) or you can even regress in your strength.

Strength training is a complete discipline in itself, and not just a mere supplement to a sport. My suggestion is to plan out your training schedule a week or two in advance and make varying adjustments in the intensity and volume of your BJJ, MT, and strength training. Don't go intense every day, or eventually you're going to burn out and be prone to injuries, not to mention the loss of appetite and terrible sleep quality. Seriously, that shit's not fun at all.

Because it's a sport I enjoy competing in and trying to get good at.

How do you do BJJ and Muay Thai?

What a fucking stupid thread.

I've recently switched to a less PL/BB style. I could never break 335 on my BS, so I decided to give more effort on conditioning.

When you are squatting 500 it will seem to you anything but borning.

Good point. At 165, when I was lifting heavy, I could do 405x3 for my last set. I did have knee wraps though.

It was a rush, no doubt about it.

-T

I've recently switched to a less PL/BB style. I could never break 335 on my BS, so I decided to give more effort on conditioning.

Lol I love the "I gave up" stories.

Usually, people just switch to Oly lifting and a lot of "light form work", though.

If you aren't lifting because you enjoy it then you need to set goals and use them as motivation.

405x3 for a smaller fighter who isn't focused on lifting is pretty good. What happened? If you just lost the strength because you got tired of lifting then you fucked up. You should have been able to maintain that with less time/effort than it required to get there. If you really don't likel ifting then don't. Just realize that you will be a physically weaker fighter than you could be. Assuming that you compete you might find a point where that holds you back or maybe you have enough strength to compete at a low level and that's good enough.

Never have I been bored strength training. Cardio on the other hand...

Lol I love the "I gave up" stories.

Usually, people just switch to Oly lifting and a lot of "light form work", though.

Bruh I was gonna do some light formwork today. Why you gotta be like that

I'm not even talking shit.

It's a noticeable trend.

Noob gains are a powerful motivator for constant program hopping.

You don't have to enjoy something to keep doing it. It's a myth that the best people are always motivated. If you want to get stronger then put some effort into getting stronger. If it's not that important to you then don't bother. The worlds not going to end.

Because it's a sport I enjoy competing in and trying to get good at.

How do you do BJJ and Muay Thai?

What a fucking stupid thread.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a novel idea. Why don't you start another thread saying how my thread is stupid :)

-T

Back