Strength & Power FAQ - READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between lifting for strength and lifting for power? Or is there a difference?

Really quick.

Bench press and OHPs in the same day, yes or no?

Really quick.

Bench press and OHPs in the same day, yes or no?

You definitely could, I used to. The second lift will probably suffer a little bit though. Maybe alternate them weekly or something for the best performance, or do something like:

Week 1: Heavy Bench followed by light OHP

Week 2: Heavy OHP followed by light bench

Going heavy on both days probably isn't going to be optimal.

Question about the Smolov.
I weight around 170 and I'm pretty sure my max will be 315 by the end of December (I think it already is).
So Im thinking about starting the Smolov in January 2009. It's kind of confusing, so my questions are

What about other lifts? Can I keep deadlifting, doing rows, OHPs and bench presses at a heavy rate?
Are the lounges just to stretch? Or I need to actually go to the gym and doing them with weights?

What is the difference between lifting for strength and lifting for power? Or is there a difference?

Simply, strength is the maximum force you can apply. Power is the rate at which that force can be developed. Deadlifting your max for a single would be an extreme example of something that involves a great deal of strength output (bar will be moving slowly) but little power output. Doing a power clean with 80% of your max would be an example of something that involves a great deal of power output (bar is moving very quickly), but a relatively low maximum strength output when compared to a max deadlift.

For an untrained beginner, simply increasing your maximal strength will also increase your ability to generate power. For more advanced lifters, developing power independently of strength can become a very complicated answer depending on your goals and level of training.

i noticed that most people split bench days and squat/deadlift days. when i tried to squat and bench on the same day (experimenting) i was way too tired to really bench at all, maybe i was just being a pussy... anyway what do you guys think about full body training or even mixing up the squats, deadlifts and benches on any given day?

I lol'd hardcore at the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference

Its just 1 question so I dont wanna start an entire topic.
Have you guys tried Power Cleans before deadlifts on the same day (Maybe an assistance excercise in between)?
I know a guy that told me it gave him good result, and I read in a couple of places that many guys got good results as well.
Anyne know something about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back