Strength in Interesting Places IV: I'm too sexy for these logs

Kabul

• Front squats. Warmup, 6 singles @90kg.
  • Overhead press. Warmup, 5 sets of 3 @52kg
  • Chins. Warmup, 3 sets of 10 @BW

Pretty easy workout. Very low volume, especially on the squat singles as it is my first time at this weight (other than my PR last month). They felt pretty good, and they were pretty much full ROM. Would have liked to have done more, but whatever.

Nice Jaunty. I've recently started adding front squats to my routine. I like them, just trying to find my level on them at the moment.

Nice Jaunty. I've recently started adding front squats to my routine. I like them, just trying to find my level on them at the moment.

Thanks! I found them awkward as hell for a long time- it just felt like a bad position to really exert myself. But now, about 3 months into doing them consistently, they feel good.

Kabul- gym

• Front squats. 5 sets of 8 @60kg.
  • Overhead press. 3 sets of 5 @47kg, 3 sets of 5@42kg
  • Chins. 6 sets of 10 @BW
  • Pump. Bench, curls.

The amount of backoff work and volume in general has been slacking off and I've been feeling really lazy as a result. So today I thought I would do some higher volume of everything. It went okay. The front squats were pretty easy but that was kind of intentional. I suck at overhead press.

Couple of days in the guesthouse now. So the plan is a decent amount of Oly drills tomorrow morning and the treadmill in the evening. On Friday, lifting again. I'll do more work with heavy singles and then try to get some decent backoff volume. I might do overhead press again- I haven't tried prioritizing it since, I don't know, possibly ever.

Kabul- Thursday gym

Morning: Light oly drills- it's the only kind I do, baby!

Evening: 55 minutes LISS on the treadmill

Glad I was able to get to the gym twice, even if the sessions were not amazing. Tomorrow I will try to have a decent lifting session that has some incredibly small but still non-zero level of not sucking.

Kabul, 5th September- Gym

• Front squats. 8 singles @90kg, 3 sets of 3 @85kg, 3 sets of 3@80kg (with small pause)
  • Bench. 5 sets of 5 @78kg, 3 sets of 10@60kg
  • DB rows. 5 sets of 6 (each side) w/30kg DB
  • Lulz. EZ-bar preacher curls, plank, foam rolling my back

Yesterday was a total write-off- got too drunk on Thursday night and was destroyed in the morning, then was working all afternoon and into the early evening (nice way to spend my one day off of the week). More of that later. Anyway, today is some kind of holiday, the whole city is locked down, so I was able to get to the gym.

Front squats felt absolutely awesome. After the first rep of 90kg I actually couldn't stop laughing because it was so easy even though it was full ROM with pretty much no use of the stretch reflex. I guess I came forward fractionally, but even when I hit what is normally the sticking point I just went through without slowing down that much. It felt like an 80% or maybe maximum 85% effort. And all the subsequent ones did. With front squats I always felt it was so damn awkward- not just avoiding losing it forward, but I felt like I didn't even know how to properly use what strength I do have when I was in that position. Now it doesn't feel awkward and I feel I can use max effort even in a really shit position (just starting to slow down while still a little below parallel). Feels like progress is just beginning.

Other stuff... not so much to say. Just plugging away. I've realized that I've been training reasonably consistently for three months now, and there's been good progress with my front squat, but my pressing has not really improved that much. I guess overhead has made gradual gains, but I am still not especially close to where I can usually get if I work consistently for 4-5 months, and nothing I am doing makes me think I can get past that kind of level. I suppose it's partly because I am doing front squat 2-3 times a week, and each kind of press just 1-2 times. And it is partly because my front squat was seriously under-developed before, while my pressing is probably a comparative area of strength (bench pressing, anyway). But still, I'd like to get the same feeling with my pressing as I do with front squatting. A period of prioritizing one of the presses might be in order. Might go back to T3 overhead, and just do bench for assistance.

Last edited:
Can you do weighted dips at all? They've been the best thing for my bench and press recently. If I could only do minimal "push" movements they would be OHP, Bench & Dips. If I could only do 2 I'd OHP and Dips, they've been that effective.

Obviously we're not savages and can still do flyes and dumbbell pressing, but I'm spinning a hypothetical situation that accounts for the downfall of humanity - where in the post apocalyptic wasteland we can only train chest and biceps 2x per week.

Terrifying I know.

Can you do weighted dips at all?

Yeah, I can do them no problem. I've done them quite a bit in the past. But they never seemed to have that much impact on my pressing.

TBH I don't think assistance is what I need. What I need is to do the lifts with a bit more frequency, and the right mix of volume and intensity. That's why I might go back to T3. When I was doing it for bench, my bench was going up consistently. I got up to 93kg x3 and it seem like progress was going to stall- I just stopped because of my stupid rotator cuff tear. I did try it for about 4-5 weeks with overhead and it seemed to be responding really well, but then I stopped because of the trapped nerve/nerve damage thing, which again wasn't actually caused by lifting but was just stupid bad luck.

And please don't paint pictures of nightmare scenarios where we can't curl and do flies as much as we want. I need to sleep tonight.

Kabul roundup
Haven't logged much except exercise because I have been pretty busy. Going to write a little about the last couple of weeks.

Gym

Okay, I have been logging this, but I just wanted to say it is going well. Consistency has been good, the lifts are ticking up, especially the front squat. Keeping up the LISS, and feeling very comfortable doing 2-3 50 minute runs in the week as well as lifting a bit.

Explosions

Afghanistan is in a really bad state at the moment. I think I mentioned that there had been 80 bombs in Kabul alone so far this year. (There were a couple while I was there but on the other side of town.) Serious violence has spread from the South and East to a bunch of other places, including places that used to be considered safe except for some minor banditry.

They've done some major security upgrades on the guest houses we stay in: here's a picture of the room I was staying in, from the outside:

20150909_091502_zps1quauuyu.jpg

They have multiple "air locks"- you go in, they lock the door behind you, you are in a little cell of concrete and armour plate, they open the next door to let you through. And even the guest house is behind multiple checkpoints staffed by NDS (a sort of combined Afghan intelligence/special forces unit who are reputedly pretty confident).

It was actually pretty damn quiet, we didn't get locked down, no running to the safe room. But I was still pretty damn happy when I got to Dubai earlier today.

Work

Work has actually been really good.

I have been back in the Ministry that I used to work in, but the original Minister is back, and my old counterpart, who I used to work with every day, is now Deputy Minister. The old top guys used to like me but just wanted to write stuff for them (funding proposals, that kind of thing). But the current top guys actually want me to explain things, give them advice, help them decide what to do.

They had me work on a policy they plan to take the President and Cabinet, but were not happy with. I figured out what they wanted, got it into shape then had a lot of long meetings with them and various bigwigs explaining it to them. 2-3 hour affairs, arguing and discussing with the top brass. Really fun, and actually what I signed up for- makes it feel like I a lot of the other stuff I did in Afghanistan wasn't a waste, because I learned enough in the six years I was there to give them good advice.

I think that I will do this more- fly in for a couple of weeks every 3 months or so just to check up on the big policy piece. If it happens anyway. It will involve Presidential Decrees, legal changes, a bunch of big things. In general in Afghanistan they don't ever really change much fundamental, so i would be surprised if it actually happened.

Other stuff

Hmmm.... other things.

Some interesting characters around the place. One of the guys I have been working with was a *very* senior prosecutor in Rwanda- imprisoned a tonne of leading figures in the Rwandan genocide, but eventually had to leave the country and can never go back because of the number of powerful people who would like to kill him. Now he lives in the US. He was a refugee, raised in Uganda under Idi Amin. Side note, he was talking about how cool and professional the Afghan military are. He said "I feel safer with them than I do walking past an American policeman". I don't know about the American policemen (beyond what I hear from the news) but he's right about the Afghan military- dozens or hundreds are dying every day but you just would not know. It's kind of amazing.

There's a new security guy for our company who's an amateur bodybuilder. Close to 50, but about 260-270 and maybe 5 ' 8", and really not much body fat. Lifts heavy too- squats over 400 and pulls over 500, and pretty knowledgeable about a lot of S&C stuff. Talked about a bunch of stuff and while I didn't agree with everything, he seems to know a tonne more than most, and anyway he's a fucktonne stonger than me despite strength not being his thing, so what do I know? Part of me wants to say just say "fuck it" and let him train me for a while, so I would put on some muscle. But I won't be around for long enough.

My guest house there now has a bar... somehow they are getting affordable booze (by Kabul standards) from somewhere. Despite this I didn't abuse it, in fact only drank twice while I was there. Actually met a cute girl there who also works for our company. I could tell the charm (such as it is) was working. I am there so little it almost feels worth throwing out the "don't shit where you eat" rule. But the rule is good. And anyway, I kind of know how things work in those parts and very little casual stuff happens... and casual stuff is all I am capable of. Such is life.

Fun fact: Kabul has an MMA competition now- Afghanistan Fighting Championship. There were posters around town. A pic:

1379423_656840647673219_965566084_n-750x500.jpg

I'd love to go and see it, but I would probably not be allowed. Afghans are tough as living fuck, and actually do pretty well in combat sports and martial arts- a guy I know placed silver in the Asian games in judo, then won some Central Asian wrestling competition, they have some guy who placed in Tae Kwon Do. Sometimes you see guys messing around in the streets, wrestling, but looking quite technical. It's not bad for a medium-sized country that is isolated and basically in the ten poorest countries in the world. There must be some crazy foreigner here teaching them BJJ, maybe even helping them with the promotion. All credit to him, though.

What else... got upgraded on the Emirates flight out, so drank a tonne of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon. It was a 777, even had a fancy first class section, the type where you basically have your own pod with your own little table. Just three seats per row. But I was happy as Larry, as they say. When I was working there all the time, after Emirates started flying there I would often upgrade with miles. When you are there, at some level you are aware that the shit could hit the fan, and, basically, you could be killed if you were really unlucky, pretty much any time. When you get to Dubai you feel this incredible release of pressure. Somehow, being in the the business section of an Emirates flight makes you feel as if you got to Dubai early.

So anyway, head to Turkey tomorrow. The craziness continues... next week I have to go to a conference in the UK to present a paper about our Syria project. Just there for two nights then back to Turkey. Theoretically I have to go to Jordan after that but I don't want to. I could do with staying in the same place for more than 2 weeks. That front squat won't just increase itself.

Gaziantep, Turkey- catchup

Monday 7th

Jogging- 40 minutes, 3% incline, low-medium intensity

Tuesday 8th

• Split squats. Front squats for warmup; 5 sets of 8@ 55kg
  • Overhead press. Warmup; 5 sets of 8 @40kg

Today

• Front squats. 5 sets of 2@90kg, 3 sets of 3 @85kg
  • Bench. 5 sets of 4@80kg, 5 sets of 8 @65kg
  • Other stuff. Curls, shrugs, hanging leg raises, six-back iso-holds

Tuesday's workout was just a light tide-me-over until I could get to the gym today. I really like split squats, though.

Today was pretty good. Since I got 8 singles at 90kg last time, I thought I would be good for some doubles. The initial plan was just three sets but the first was pretty easy- I felt like I could have managed 3-4 reps. So I went for 5 sets. Once again, pretty satisfying. Finished off with just a little backoff volume. When I lift again on Thursday I will do more less the same top sets but a good but more backoff.

Bench was okay, not great, bad, just okay. I probably need to just be a bit more patient. If I could get some micro-plates it would help too. 5kg jumps are too much for me for bench, even using my odd semi-programming.

As always, interesting commentary and pictures interspersed with periods of jaktness.

Travels

So, headed to the UK to give a paper at a conference- about my Syria work. It's in Oxford. Haven't been there for a long time, so looking forward to it- its been on my mind to go back there for a little while. But the travel schedule is stupid. Travel 12 hours there, one evening, the day at the conference, then travel back the next day for another 12 hours. And the total time commitment? 15 minute presentation, 45 minute participation in a panel discussion.

I'd have suggested meeting up for a beer (I'm ~ 20 miles from Oxford) but I'm up to my eyes for the next couple of days.
Hope the conference goes well and you have fun in sunny Oxford.
It's not sunny at all at the moment

I love Oxford, not been for years, should really do a weekend there soon. Have fun(?).

I'd have suggested meeting up for a beer (I'm ~ 20 miles from Oxford) but I'm up to my eyes for the next couple of days.
Hope the conference goes well and you have fun in sunny Oxford.
It's not sunny at all at the moment

I'd be up for it, but I also have zero time. My parents are coming to meet me tonight, tomorrow is the conference and squeezing in seeing a friend, in the evening I'll doubtless be dragged out with some of the people from my company.

I love Oxford, not been for years, should really do a weekend there soon. Have fun(?).

It's insanely nice in the summer- all the beautiful university parks, town meadow (the fields that run from Summertown down to Jericho), the riverside pubs, punting. Then there is stuff that is nice most of the year round- the old pubs, the covered market, the University itself.

Despite the fact I will see my folks and some old work friends, it's not going to be *too* much fun. I've had insanely good times here in the past, and also insanely bad times, but this is just a flying visit and all my most fun friends left here a long time ago.

Oxford

It's weird as hell being here.

So, full disclosure, I lived here as a kid from the age of about 5-9, and then studied here, so was then here from the age of 18-25 (with one year off when I worked in Newcastle). So along with Chiang Mai and the towns in the north where I lived and went to school as teenager, it's one of the places I have spent the most time in my life.

However... all those other places, I have been back to regularly since I left the UK in 2002. Been back to London many times, been to the places I lived as a teenager (and still go regularly). But not here- so it's been 13 years. It's quite a long time. The other complicating factor is that for most of the time I was studying here I had pretty severe depression. Something about being in the place and studying: I pretty much never had it during breaks, rarely had it in my year out in Newcastle, rarely had it when I took a break from academic studies here and just spent a while teaching and doing a part-time job. But when I was here *and* studying, I got pretty bad depression a lot of the time. It was pretty nasty. I did have loads of great times- particularly after I came back from Newcastle to do my Masters a bunch of my best friends moved here as well as the next three years were just full of really, really fun stuff. But walking around today I remember the bad times slightly more than the good.

So overall, this afternoon has been weird.

Oxford

It's weird as hell being here.

I've had some dark times but not in a way that I can attribute directly to a place I've lived. That's got to feel strange going back, particularly after so long; hopefully it ends up being cathartic in some way?

*On another note, I have heard that the secret services often recruit directly from Oxbridge...

On 09/05 you mention getting drunk bit dont mention on what or how much. Is it time to pull the plug on this log? Do you even care anymore

Back