Strenght vs. Technique | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Willyw, May 27, 2017.

1. DaGenius Silver Belt

DaGenius
    A couple of points come to mind.

First I believe that everyone should have a strength and conditioning component to compliment their bjj. I don't think guys realize how silly their excuses sound as to why they don't lift/run with their bjj

Your belt level is about technical or artistic knowledge. If you tap someone higher, great..but sometimes those taps come from a matchup issue as opposed to technique.

Franklegit likes this.
  2. georgegreece Orange Belt

georgegreece
  3. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    Nothing more solid than competition wins. Never met someone who doesn't compete and win that actually has solid technique.

4. MaxMMA Blue Belt

MaxMMA
    If you are tapping out purple belts then your level of knowledge is at least purple belt level. If your level of knowledge is really white belt level and you are tapping purples then those are sorry ass purples.

5. georgegreece Orange Belt

georgegreece
    No you could just have a couple of techniques that you do really well naturally.

6. Crotalis Yellow Belt

Crotalis
    That sounds less like failing to take "competitive skills into account", and more like sandbagging. You've really seen a single blue belt go through multiple browns and blacks? I've occasionally seen it where a blue belt who is young, trains every day and competes all the time beats up on an older black belt who's more of a hobbyist and doesn't train much anymore, but I can't recall a scenario where a blue belt beats up a series of browns/blacks.

7. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    If you get a belt just on beating people with strength not skill do you have to give it back when you get of steroids?

8. georgegreece Orange Belt

georgegreece
    That's why you never get off steroids.

A.S. Deep and selfcritical like this.
  9. 2008 Blue Belt

3 times a week is a good average.

Unless your the lucky few who gets to train 7 times a week, multiple times a day....3 days a week with your s & c means your learning at a good pace.

I'm lucky if I get to train 3 times a week. When I was able to I felt sharp.

10. 2008 Blue Belt

I think at some point you stall out. That works for competition to go to what your good at to win. But in the gym that sort of holds you back.

I'm just a low level blue but there is a purple at my gym who is stalling out because he does the same 3 submissions most of the time. Guys from his era just got their brown belts and new purple belts have a much more dynamic game than he does. And this guy is in good shape and has good size to him so there is no excuse for him to not expand his game more.

Even my coach said he is not in the same group as those guys who got their brown even though he trained just as long as them.

11. Dirty Holt Brown Belt

Dirty Holt
    No, you should have to give up your black belt if you cannot beat someone with no skill and only strength, because you have just proven the point that either weightlifting is a superior martial art than BJJ, the blue deserves a higher ranking, or you dont have black belt level skills.

Tchoker likes this.
  12. Thaijitsu612 Purple Belt

Thaijitsu612
    You just have to make the decision not to rely on strength when you role. RELY being the key word.

When I roll, especially with smaller people, I try to let them over power me. This forces me to have sound technique and my game doesn't fall apart against bigger people.

georgegreece and A.S. Deep like this.