Street Self Defense - Leg Kicks?

AJay

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anyone able to speak to the effectiveness of leg kicks in a street fights? One of my coachs said a single kick to a guys thigh could drop him and give you time to get out of the situation however many other people say to never throw kicks in a street fight.

What's your option on it? Would you throw any type of kicks in a street fight?
Thanks!

People say don't throw high kicks because they compromise your balance, they're slow and you're often not dressed properly for it.

Simple push kicks or low kicks can be effective if you're skilled enough and can account for your shoes and pants impacting the movement. A good kick to the thigh of someone who has never experienced it or doesn't know how to defend it could be enough to get you away from the fight. But so could a good punch to the chin, jaw line, or temple.

But this is 2 street fighting threads I've seen from you so...don't get into street fights.

Anyone able to speak to the effectiveness of leg kicks in a street fights? One of my coachs said a single kick to a guys thigh could drop him and give you time to get out of the situation however many other people say to never throw kicks in a street fight.

What's your option on it? Would you throw any type of kicks in a street fight?
Thanks!

Google Phoenix Jones street fight.

u7hy6gtrefdewdwedewd.jpg

In my fight the thing that affected me the most was a leg kick.

If you're concerned about street fighting, I suggest taking Krav Maga. All the questions you're asking will be answered there.

The main reason kicks are discouraged in street fights is that your footing is usually uncertain. All the leg kicks you might practice with bare feet in a dojo won't help much when you're in dress shoes on some gravel in a bar parking lot.

Now, if you are going to kick remember that this is a street fight and so there aren't any rules so knee caps, groin, etc. are possible targets. I'd probably kick those before trying to give a guy a kick on the thigh.

I've seen leg sweeps used really effectively in fights, but frankly I've never been confident in using them myself.

Generally, as you'll learn in Krav Maga, the best use for your legs is for running away.

I tend to prefer shovel/oblique kicks to the legs for self defense purposes, but roundhouse leg kicks can certainly work well, if you have the space for them. Untrained people are generally not going to be able to take strong leg kicks, of any type.

In general, leg kicks (low kicks) are meant for the ring. They're supposed to do their damage over time, not take anyone out immediately.

Against an untrained guy, of course, who knows -- you might drop him instantly. It's happened plenty of times. But I wouldn't count on it. They ARE very safe, in the sense that your opponent won't fall down and crack his skull and suddenly you'll be looking at prison time.

So really it depends on what you mean by "self defense." Real self defense? No. Don't use them. Go for the eyes, the throat, the groin, targets that disable immediately and have other mechanisms than mere pain that prevent your opponent from fighting back. "Self defense" (read, fighting) where you're physically superior and your life isn't actually in danger? Sure, they can work and they're safer than many other options.

Lots of lame excuses from a lot of people on why you shouldn't use certain techniques from the ring in a street situation. The truth of the matter is these techniques work against high level professional fighters, of course they will be effective if employed properly against some street bum.

Lots of lame excuses from a lot of people on why you shouldn't use certain techniques from the ring in a street situation. The truth of the matter is these techniques work against high level professional fighters, of course they will be effective if employed properly against some street bum.

Yes, because fighting in a ring/cage is pretty much the same circumstances as fighting in "da streetz."

I take it you are always out and about with Thai shorts and a cup on?

In general, leg kicks (low kicks) are meant for the ring. They're supposed to do their damage over time, not take anyone out immediately.

Against an untrained guy, of course, who knows -- you might drop him instantly. It's happened plenty of times. But I wouldn't count on it. They ARE very safe, in the sense that your opponent won't fall down and crack his skull and suddenly you'll be looking at prison time.

So really it depends on what you mean by "self defense." Real self defense? No. Don't use them. Go for the eyes, the throat, the groin, targets that disable immediately and have other mechanisms than mere pain that prevent your opponent from fighting back. "Self defense" (read, fighting) where you're physically superior and your life isn't actually in danger? Sure, they can work and they're safer than many other options.

Not really. You're referring to fights that were stopped as a direct result of a low kick strategy. Plenty of fights have been ended with KO/TKO's that were setup with low kicks.

Compromising your opponents stance/base is one of the main reasons to use low kicks, something that is very easy to do against someone that 1. isn't used to defending these attacks 2. doesn't have a a good base/stance to begin with

Yes, because fighting in a ring/cage is pretty much the same circumstances as fighting in "da streetz."

I take it you are always out and about with Thai shorts and a cup on?

The setting may be different than the ring, but the fundamentals don't change.

The setting may be different than the ring, but the fundamentals don't change.

They don't, but your shot selection needs to change in a real fight. How often do you spar barehanded? How often are you throwing head kicks with shoes and jeans on pavement? Not everything used in the ring is advisable in the street and vice versa.

Not really. You're referring to fights that were stopped as a direct result of a low kick strategy. Plenty of fights have been ended with KO/TKO's that were setup with low kicks.

Compromising your opponents stance/base is one of the main reasons to use low kicks, something that is very easy to do against someone that 1. isn't used to defending these attacks 2. doesn't have a a good base/stance to begin with
<36>

The street ain't the ring, bub. You're not going to be setting up shit with a low kick in real self defense situation.

A direct quote from Motobu Choki - one of a group of influential karate masters that spread the art globally:

"In a real confrontation, more than anything else one should strike to the face first, as this is the most effective."

"Kicks are not all that effective in a real confrontation."

This is coming from a guy that spent decades striking (with kicks) and grappling.

Personally the only kick I'd ever throw in a self defense situation would be a kick to the balls or an inside leg kick.

I don't know that low kicks would be my go to in a life or death street fight (of which I've never been in). That being said, I remember when I was in high school, watching one of the early UFC's with my dad. Marco Ruas fought some huge guy (the "Alaskan Bear" or something like that). He chopped the guy down with low kicks. I looked at my dad with disbelief and said "how is that possible?" My dad asked me if I wanted to take one and I stupidly obliged him - I was rolling on the floor in agony. I wasn't completely unknowledgeable with respect to martial arts, practicing Karate and Sambo in those days. The next time I was in a school yard scuffle, I threw a single low roundhouse and dropped a bully who had at least 20 lbs on me....Trained or not, a good leg kick hurts!

Snapping front kick to the shin or knees is a classic playground move. With shoes on especially because the shoe will protect your toes to an extent. If you are wearing timberland boots with steel toe, well, then its as good as a shoe knife.

I don't know that low kicks would be my go to in a life or death street fight (of which I've never been in). That being said, I remember when I was in high school, watching one of the early UFC's with my dad. Marco Ruas fought some huge guy (the "Alaskan Bear" or something like that). He chopped the guy down with low kicks. I looked at my dad with disbelief and said "how is that possible?" My dad asked me if I wanted to take one and I stupidly obliged him - I was rolling on the floor in agony. I wasn't completely unknowledgeable with respect to martial arts, practicing Karate and Sambo in those days. The next time I was in a school yard scuffle, I threw a single low roundhouse and dropped a bully who had at least 20 lbs on me....Trained or not, a good leg kick hurts!

It's kind of an honor for TS (who just joined himself on Tuesday) that you joined today just to make your only post here in this thread.

<Gordonhat>

6A5TDeJ.gif

Snapping front kick to the shin or knees is a classic playground move. With shoes on especially because the shoe will protect your toes to an extent. If you are wearing timberland boots with steel toe, well, then its as good as a shoe knife.

Who kicks with a shoe???

Austin-Powers-Honestly.jpg

Kicks have always been my speciality especially with my background in Shotokan Karate and Kyokushin Karate and high kicks were one of my favourite weapons when I was competing in those.

However in a real confrontation the only kicks I would probably try to use are:
-kick to the groin
-push kick / mae geri / teep type of kick to the bottom part of their belly to keep somebody distanced from me and possibly hurt his body in the process.

You could possibly use a low kick, but if you're in that range you might as well strike to the face or clinch and knee.

High kicks are difficult to pull in a real street / combat scenario especially depending on what trousers / jeans you're wearing + you could easily lose balance and fall, or even sprain your groin from kicking cold without stretching. And IMO pretty much the same goes with round house kicks to the body which could easily get caught and have you end up on the floor, or again lose balance and fall.

Overall, using your hands, elbows and knees will prove a lot more efficient and less risky than trying to throw kicks in a real life situation, and I'm saying that as a kicking fan.

Last edited:
Back