STREET FIGHTER V-v5: Arcade Edition - Battle Lounge 4/6 – Streamed on Twitch! 4:30PM PST!

Lost against my first Blanka. Have no idea what to punish.

I haven't even logged into the game yet, and I have a couple of busy evenings. Gonna try to play today. I don't want to log in after everyone has their Blanka gimmicks memorized.

What are your thoughts so far?
mixed, but mostly positive. I can say this, playing blanka felt more effective and natural than the ~2 months i spent using menat. Within 2 minutes it felt right, if that makes any sense.
onto the specifics
no ex ball to deal with projectiles, unless v trigger. which is good and bad, i choose the ground roll shave, but im not sold on this yet. his bnb mk,hk,hp is dumb easy to land, one of ym favorite tricks used to just be overhad hopping chains to enrage opponenst, this still works.
s.vert ball sucks, havent found a use for it
to be honest, ex up ball seems to be only upball i found use for,
rainbow balls are mostly useless all together with no cross ups, that was the only reason to use them in sf4, now they are shelved for time being at least for me, unless some wierd situational shit happnes
coward crouch is intersting, u used to just pop out of it with balls or hops. now popping otu with punch seems to be good up close
popping out with kicks is isutational, but can do nice crossup
his command grab is not my thing, but im gonna have to rexamine this, ive seen it work well for others
his electricity input fucks me up, im used to 4 inputs, now 3 i get caught mashing a lot. need to fix this
hes very bad v akuma, or maybe im v bad vs akima
hes easy for me to use, im winning more than im losing, and i just jumped right into games with like maybe 10 minute sin the lab
overall 7.5/10 so far for effectiveness if ur just using sf4 skills. gimme a month I b aight.,
i like, living up to expectations , exceeeding some.
really miss my up balls though, theres no real good offensive openeing ive found at start, besides command grab, but that only will work once unleess opponnent is dumb stubborn.
edit - 10 pushups every loss though, my arms were sore after 40 matches yesterday.

Last edited:
got absolutely dicked in my first set of games tonight
i was not prepared, lab work time after i eat

mixed, but mostly positive. I can say this, playing blanka felt more effective and natural than the ~2 months i spent using menat. Within 2 minutes it felt right, if that makes any sense.
onto the specifics
no ex ball to deal with projectiles, unless v trigger. which is good and bad, i choose the ground roll shave, but im not sold on this yet. his bnb mk,hk,hp is dumb easy to land, one of ym favorite tricks used to just be overhad hopping chains to enrage opponenst, this still works.
s.vert ball sucks, havent found a use for it
to be honest, ex up ball seems to be only upball i found use for,
rainbow balls are mostly useless all together with no cross ups, that was the only reason to use them in sf4, now they are shelved for time being at least for me, unless some wierd situational shit happnes
coward crouch is intersting, u used to just pop out of it with balls or hops. now popping otu with punch seems to be good up close
popping out with kicks is isutational, but can do nice crossup
his command grab is not my thing, but im gonna have to rexamine this, ive seen it work well for others
his electricity input fucks me up, im used to 4 inputs, now 3 i get caught mashing a lot. need to fix this
hes very bad v akuma, or maybe im v bad vs akima
hes easy for me to use, im winning more than im losing, and i just jumped right into games with like maybe 10 minute sin the lab
overall 7.5/10 so far for effectiveness if ur just using sf4 skills. gimme a month I b aight.,
i like, living up to expectations , exceeeding some.
really miss my up balls though, theres no real good offensive openeing ive found at start, besides command grab, but that only will work once unleess opponnent is dumb stubborn.
edit - 10 pushups every loss though, my arms were sore after 40 matches yesterday.
You forgot the most important thing, are you using the story mode costume?

Probably. I was trying to figure out how to punish that move without CA. Something to make him pay every time it's blocked.

I looked and only CA works. I'll post what our Diamond Ryu in ou Ryu-Mains FB page figured out when I get home tonight.

I looked and only CA works. I'll post what our Diamond Ryu in ou Ryu-Mains FB page figured out when I get home tonight.

Nah, there's nothing he can do besides Reversal CA.

Bison's Scissor Knee, Alex's elbow, and Nash's MK sonic scythe works. I'm sure Balrog's dash punch works, lol. There's probably a list already.

Lol, good.

edit: Here's a list so far. I'm surprised Menat can't punish it.

I was watching Vesper’s Blanka stream last night and he is such a good SF player. Whenever a new character drops, I always watch his stream because he usually picks them up very quickly and has some great strategy with them. That said, he think Blanka is pretty strong. Someone asked “Do you have to jump with Blanka” and he said you really do have to jump since his V-Skill has a completely different arch than his regular jump. Blanka seems like a character you need to be random with the whole time.

I was watching Vesper’s Blanka stream last night and he is such a good SF player. Whenever a new character drops, I always watch his stream because he usually picks them up very quickly and has some great strategy with them. That said, he think Blanka is pretty strong. Someone asked “Do you have to jump with Blanka” and he said you really do have to jump since his V-Skill has a completely different arch than his regular jump. Blanka seems like a character you need to be random with the whole time.
theres something to that.
time to lift, smoke drugs, and then take my anger out on people online!
i endded yesterday up over 300lp, im hoping for 500 tonight, i have no plans until bedtime after i get swoll af.

also s blanka ball is punishble by everything, real gangstas dont use it no more.

also s blanka ball is punishble by everything, real gangstas dont use it no more.

Do you mean on block?

HP version, yep. Not a lot of pushback and Gief can even spd him afterwards.

LP definitely is not punishable on block by a lot of things (some characters can't punish it at all), but it's slow and of course he can be hit out of it. It looks like Ken can just mash jabs against it SF2 style, lol.

This Blanka seems more "fair." Not that I thought he was cheap before or anything, but I guess that's the best way to describe him. I wasn't expecting him to have a floaty jump either.

Last edited:
Back