Street fight - Biting against BJJ

BJJChess

Rock&Roll forever BABY
@Yellow
Reaction score
Recently some bro posted here a video where some instructor shows how biting can be powerful against BJJ. He was on the bottom, the top guy had a side mount, and the bottom guy started to bite him like crazy, neck, ribs, etc. It made me think... does BJJ really works if the guy is ready to bite your neck and can basically end the fight in a few seconds? What are your opinions?

If you have proper side control, he isn't biting you.

He isn't biting you when he's in kesa, if he tries to grab your dick just block it and arm lock him with your legs.

How does a bit end a fight in seconds?

I've been bitten by someone in a fight. I had the guy in a headlock and he bit a chunk out of my side. It hurt a fair bit, went a bit septic later but it didn't stop me in the slightest. I was mostly just trying to control him but had I been a nasty person i could have poked his eyes out in retaliation.

Biting when you're in an inferior position is a dangerous gamble - now you've just put biting, gouging, tearing and god knows what else on the table. You better hope it works for you or you could be in for some serious damage yourself.

Biting when you're in an inferior position is a dangerous gamble - now you've just put biting, gouging, tearing and god knows what else on the table. You better hope it works for you or you could be in for some serious damage yourself.

Yep. I think people forget that the guy in the superior position also has those weapons. And it's much easier to bite, guage etc from a good position than it is from a bad position.

This is a terrible thing to post and I almost don't want to post it, but I'm going to anyway because it demonstrates the point. It's been on youtube forever and has a mountain of views, and there appears to be no life-threatening injury done so I assume its ok, if not then please delete.

Recently some bro posted here a video where some instructor shows how biting can be powerful against BJJ. He was on the bottom, the top guy had a side mount, and the bottom guy started to bite him like crazy, neck, ribs, etc. It made me think... does BJJ really works if the guy is ready to bite your neck and can basically end the fight in a few seconds? What are your opinions?

The problem here is that the top guy can bite, too. I'm as TMA and pro biting as the next guy but these idiots who say "well you can't keep me in X hold, I'd bite you" have no clue how grappling works.

That said, I think people teaching BJJ as "self defense" should be clear to teach the dangers of someone biting you. People with mental disabilities, mental healthy issues, or are high on drugs will often resort to spitting and biting right away. While you may "beat them" you will be left with the possibility of nasty scars, infections, or blood borne disease. The ears, nose, lips and fingers will all easily come off. If you think biting my forearm to get out of a RNC will help you, just wait until it pisses someone off and they blast the back of your head with elbows and paralyze or kill you.

That is a seriously f**ked up video. Not just the morons in it but the people who made it, the people who watch it, the "adverts" after it and the whole glorification of thug "culture". Thoroughly depressing. ISIS could use it as a recruiting video. Hell, I might join.

bas rutten made a good comment on this...

just try and bite my leg when I armbar you, I'm just gonna snap your arm then worry about the bite

just try and eye gauge me when I've got you in a rear naked choke, i'm gonna put you to sleep then worry about the eye poke

Yep. I think people forget that the guy in the superior position also has those weapons. And it's much easier to bite, guage etc from a good position than it is from a bad position.

This is a terrible thing to post and I almost don't want to post it, but I'm going to anyway because it demonstrates the point. It's been on youtube forever and has a mountain of views, and there appears to be no life-threatening injury done so I assume its ok, if not then please delete.

The kid is lucky that guy didn't really want to hurt him by biting an ear or nose.

If, during a street fight, you end up in a position where your best recourse is biting, it's a good idea to not be particularly attached to keeping your teeth.

I frown on keyboard tough guy talk but If someone bit me, i'd most likely snap a limb, choke them out, piss on them and leave.

bas rutten made a good comment on this...

just try and bite my leg when I armbar you, I'm just gonna snap your arm then worry about the bite

just try and eye gauge me when I've got you in a rear naked choke, i'm gonna put you to sleep then worry about the eye poke

[YT]UiiUHFCkoZ0[/YT]

That is a seriously f**ked up video. Not just the morons in it but the people who made it, the people who watch it, the "adverts" after it and the whole glorification of thug "culture". Thoroughly depressing.

Agreed, it's hard to watch. Sadly I think I came across it because it was a linked video after some UFC interview or something.

Depends on where the bite is tbh. I've been but in a fight on the back of the neck and didn't even really realize it till after the fight. Only place to bite that will stop a fight IMO is the face.

I of course agree that when you are in a dominant position you can bite him as well even do him more harm, but when I'm fighting someone I don't want to bite him first, I'd never do that. What happens if he bites my neck and cause some serious damage? Jaws are incredibly strong... Wouldn't a strong bite on the neck finish the fight? Isn't it like killing technique? And how many people really think about protecting their necks when the fight starts? I don't know... I'm just confused. If the guy attacks the groin or eye gouge you, it is painful and uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem serious as neck biting, at least to me.

I of course agree that when you are in a dominant position you can bite him as well even do him more harm, but when I'm fighting someone I don't want to bite him first, I'd never do that. What happens if he bites my neck and cause some serious damage? Jaws are incredibly strong... Wouldn't a strong bite on the neck finish the fight? Isn't it like killing technique? And how many people really think about protecting their necks when the fight starts? I don't know... I'm just confused. If the guy attacks the groin or eye gouge you, it is painful and uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem serious as neck biting, at least to me.

I think basically you have realized that fighting is dangerous and stupid. No matter what fighting style and range you use, it's not a good idea. Terrible (probably worse) things happen while standing up than on the ground. Fighting is basically a dangerous activity.

If you have to fight, it's good to be good on the ground though. It's even better to know how to strike, have good takedowns and defense, and have a good ground game. Better still to have some awareness of strategy dealing with multiple attackers, and be trained in weapons.

Still...yeah. Better not to fight in general.

Yeah... no.

I was bitten before by someone it tried to stop in a fight, it bled and left a huge bruise but adrenaline made me barely feel it.

Pain compliance sucks in fights.

In law school, I was taking a class on Roman Law (all I studied was legal history and comparative law, more or less). At one point, my professor (a stereotypically effete and scholarly type) commented how strange it was that the Roman legal system was so concerned with people getting their noses bitten off, and wondered why it was such a problem.

As I pointed out, of course it's a major problem, in any real-world all-out fight where you are grappling the guy, biting his nose or ear are your two best targets if both hands are occupied (as they usually are). Biting other locations is far less feasible because you can't really get a good bite, and also you are just biting skin. If you bite somebody's nose off, they WILL take notice.

I'm a big believer in biting for defense if it's an all-out fight. Headbutts and biting are terrific weapons in a true all-out struggle, because so often you won't have full use of your arms.

Btw, that same professor specialized in "mutilation law," if you can believe that. Nowadays this seems strange, but of course back in ancient times and in traditional societies mutilation was one of the most important and common legal punishments in almost every human society. Even nowadays, you still see archaic remnants, as with the yakuza justice system of digital amputation.

Back