StRatoCastRs guide to lace up the elastic way!

yeah its a basic "shoelace" knot minus the bows you would normally throw in.

I have this on most of my lace-ups. I have a couple of guys at my gym that seem intrigued.

nice man, did you use the guide or did it your own way?

If you have your own way you should post it in a new thread, I want to see how it differs.

No, I don't have my own way. I didn't have any lace-ups and I heard that they were more supportive. And since my hands are on the large size, the only 12oz gloves I could find were fight gloves. I wanted to try out the lace ups at home to seek if I liked it, so I couldn't tie it myself. During a search I found your guide and I now have the elastics on the 12 oz Twins fight gloves for bag and mitt work.

I have small wrists, so is it normal to have the leather at the bottom of the gloves all wrinkled up from tying the laces tight around the glove? Would it ruin the leather or leave indentations?

Its not going to ruin the glove but yes it will leave marks but thats okay too cuz hitting the bag or basically using the gloves as intended will wear them out or eventually ruin them :)

Haha that's true, I just like to try and keep my gloves as pretty as I can. Thanks for the write up, always wanted to try this out

NP man lemme know how it works out after you logged some rounds in brotherman!

Thanks for the guide Strat! I used this for lace up Winnings (16oz). Elastic laces (34 in) purchased from amazon. Ended up having to get it pretty tight throughout the length of the cuff. Takes about 10-15 sec to get a glove on. Fits great.

I use this way that firstDan posted in the Winning thread a few months ago. The square knot midway through the lacing is clutch:

This is how I do it:
DSC_0441_zps84c13ae3.jpg

-First three loopholes are tight, with the leather touching. [Note when lacing I put no tension on the elastic]
-At the third hole do a square knot.
-With wraps on see if this is too tight for you, adjust accordingly.
-Lace up the rest.
-At the end, put the laces together and do an overhand knot. Do these loose enough so you can get your hands in, but not too tight that you start cussing at your own gloves. If you have it too tight, it'll be even harder when you start to sweat.

I recommend going looser the first time around, you can always tighten it later, just don't tie your overhand knot super tight. If you do it too tight, you won't be able to get your gloves back on the during subsequent rounds and you'll mess up your workout.

I ended up not liking my elastic laces and going to hickies, then back to regular laces, tying a knot at the bottom and cutting them.

great guide. i love the classic look of lace ups.

Glad this thread was bumped. Got rid of my original lace ups that I did the Strat way. Just recently got new ones and completely forgot how to lace them up...lol.

No Muhammad uses a nice fat 4-4.5 inch Velcro closure that supports the wrist nice. The elastics offer some give but again like it was specified before a lot of it has to do with a. Your hand size and b. your wrist size. If you have big hands and small wrists the elastics off almost no support. If u have small hands and big wrists this guide will work out nicely.

Strat, you suck......

I Just freaking decided to get C17's....And now i have to debate whether I want LACES OR VELCRO!!!!

Ugh.....

No in all seriousness you are the man. Much love brother. Thanks so much for the tip this will be a great resource if I decide to get some lace up gloves. I have been looking for a way to get a tighter fit with bag gloves and such. I hit like a train as I have expressed before, and having extra support may save my wrists.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back