strategy vs a 400 pound sumo wrestler

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
say you did a crazy mma fight in asia and you had to fight a big sumo guy and you weigh around 190 do you think dropping into heel hook lacing would be the best strategy given sumo guy doesnt have real training maybe a few months to prepare id think heel hooking would be the best strat vs this what would you do

watch the minowaman vs the huge dude fight and emulate that, meaning run like the wind until he gets tired

watch the minowaman vs the huge dude fight and emulate that, meaning run like the wind until he gets tired
lol that works too but i think if u have a good leg lock game thats all they wont be able to move much or fast and have no gas tank well idk sumos are inshape arnt they? but regardless single legging wont work super well since they are use to wrestling as is chokes arnt gonna work unless i get behind them lol so leg locks would seem to be the best solution

lol that works too but i think if u have a good leg lock game thats all they wont be able to move much or fast and have no gas tank well idk sumos are inshape arnt they? but regardless single legging wont work super well since they are use to wrestling as is chokes arnt gonna work unless i get behind them lol so leg locks would seem to be the best solution
yeah, sumo training is really strenuous and i think sumo wrestlers have better gas tanks than people might expect. when they fight in mma it's pretty common for them to fight to decisions in fights they're winning (they aren't really bringing many finishing techniques to mma from sumo).

single legs are illegal in sumo, so a sumo wrestler with little familiarity with other wrestling styles wouldn't be used to the technique but it might not be the most effective against them anyway. daiju takase went for a single leg against emmanuel yarborough in pride and yarborough basically just fell over on top of him to end up on top. once he was down there though he was never getting up and takase just had to slide out and gnp him.

speed and attacking from an angle seems like the best bet to me and is basically the strategy that smaller sumo wrestlers use. i don't really know anything about wrestling, but going for a single leg seems like it would be effective against a sumo wrestler as long as you're turning the corner and staying to their side.

yea my favorite idea is to get under a 400 pound guy so if things go wrong i can be smashed into pieces.

Yeah, no... I would rather not get smashed like a pancake. I'm not deliberately going to the bottom for any reason thank you.

Wait for him to trip and then shin kick him in the head?

Low single, knee on belly, gnp until stoppage or he gives his back.

Give him vegetables, he gonna duck me like McNuggets

lol at low single on a 400 pound competitive grappler. Geez.

On the ground, you gotta get to the side ASAP ... Armdrag or omoplata/cross grip.

Side angles are kryptonite for land whale opponents. Squaring up is terrible.

DROPKICK

tumblr_oaufyqvHJu1qd4esao1_500.gif

Even a 1000 pound man can't throw you properly if he can't actually get proper grips on you. It all starts with the fight for superior entanglements.

lol at low single on a 400 pound competitive grappler. Geez.

A lot of people tend to get sweep singles and low singles confused.

It's not actually that far fetched in any case though; compared to a 'classic' mid thigh single leg position, a guy can't actually sprawl and put weight on you properly (or attack a choke as easily) if you capture the heel. Ether he falls past you and you go out the back door, or he sits back and you pull it up into a leg drag. (Not for no reason that it's one of the more common attacks at heavy weight, amongst those with the agility to execute it of course).

(1:00, 6:45)

If he's really good he'll fold the leg to sit down and look to butt drag, or turn away and sit down and look to merkel or pull it out running, but if it's a really big boy you're dealing with, just beaching the whalemaking him plant onto the ground while you are still mobile is still gravy.

Last edited:
sumos are inshape arnt they?
I lived in Japan and saw a lot of sumos. There was a stable in my town. Almost all of them have a good amount of uufo experience. And a lot of them aren't that fat. Think Japan's version of offensive and defensive lineman. I'm 6'4, 210ish, pretty strong. I armwrestled about a 260 or so pound sumo one night at a restaurant, and he was FREAKISHLY strong. Couldn't even budge his arm. He didn't even bother putting me down, just seemed bored. Those guys are not to be take lightly.

Honestly I think a 400 pounder would be easier to deal with

Back