Strangest weather phenomena you've seen?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Slick_36, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

There was a tornado that went through my city a few years back. This was Springfield, MA back in 2011. New England is not known for tornadoes.
    [​IMG]
    This touched down less than a mile from where I lived at the time. The weather that evening was insane. It was pitch black by 6pm with non-stop lightning and hard rain for hours. Never seen anything like it. The aftermath was pretty impressive. One side of the street would be fine and the other would have a bunch of felled trees and traffic signs.

shanegotu11 and Jackie Blue like this.
  2. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

You ever seen ball lightning? That stuff fascinates me.

We had a downburst/bomb cyclone that knocked over a bunch of powerlines and trees last year but other than that we don't tend to get too much weird weather over here. Coastal water/air currents seem to moderate things somehow.

Oh, Hurricane Juan hit us square on in 2000 or whenever, but I guess that's not completely out of historical precedent.

3. rj144

rj144 Black Belt

Saw these clouds a few years back and took this pic:

[​IMG]

shanegotu11 and Jackie Blue like this.
  4. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Red Belt

This happens where I live from time-to-time, although usually a bit further east or west of where I live. Driving through storms while coming back after evacuating from Irma was crazy.

shanegotu11 likes this.
  5. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

Those microbursts are fairly common in Wisconsin. You can be driving along on a clear sunny day and run into a bank of clouds. Sometimes the rain comes like someone poured out a giant bucket and it takes down trees.

The worst was one on July 15, 1980 when the jet stream dropped down. Rain was coming horizontally. My power was out for 2 weeks.

The recorded wind speed at the airport was 112mph but that was misleading as the structure that the anemometer was mounted to was blown away. Another anemometer at a television station read 100 mph but that was as high as it was capable of registering. Some storm experts that investigated suspected that winds were closer to 160 mph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wisconsin_Derecho

[​IMG]

shanegotu11 likes this.
  6. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

the 92 Landers quake (a 7.3) was epicentered about 15 miles from my house....

bowling alley, KMart, Banks collapsed, sinkholes formed, the highway split and formed a small chasm, in ground pools had like 5' waves in them, etc...

it was pretty damn wild, would've been way worse (like the smaller Northridge quake) if there were actually people living out here

TSO and shanegotu11 like this.
  7. iThrillhouse

iThrillhouse Silver Belt

years ago there was a snowstorm in BC. my family was driving home from visiting family and it turned to whiteout conditions. not like "oh heavy snow, that sure is crazy" but like literally white. 360 degrees around you. cars going like 10km/h on the highway because no one could see shit. we pulled off highway to some hotel that was basically sheltering hundreds of families until the whiteout was done. Only lasted a couple hours, but still the most insane weather I've seen in BC.

that or that crazy ass windstorm a few years ago was driving home from camping in my mums jeep with a mattress sticking out the back....least aerodynamic vehicle I've ever driven in...coming over the sea to sky I was FLOORING it and going 40km/h there was that much wind resistance....when we finally got onto the upper levels highway massive branches were raining down onto peoples cars. my wife had like a final destination moment and was like, "iTHRILLHOUSE, just be aware we will probably get hit by a large branch so dont freak out when it does." literally as sentence is over a massive branch smashes the hood of the jeep. No dent. nothing....perfectly fine....was absolutely nutty

shanegotu11 likes this.
  8. Oboeplata

Oboeplata Green Belt

I once had a chat with a man from Saskatchewan, Canada.

He told me that he could, literally, see the rain coming in from afar when it was sunny where he was standing.

I thought that was pretty damn cool.

shanegotu11 likes this.
  9. Fatt Hughes

Fatt Hughes Brown Belt

a few weeks back actually. Was overcast as I was leaving work, but the illumination of the morning was strange. Almost dream like, as if there was more than one sun beyond the clouds. It just had an overall strangness I never experienced before.

10. rj144

rj144 Black Belt

You've never been in a tall building or roof, and seen rain coming? It's fairly normal to me.

shanegotu11 likes this.
  11. Staph infection

Staph infection Conor bless

A tornado start in a field next to my house on a warm sunny day in south Florida.

shanegotu11 likes this.
  12. Oboeplata

Oboeplata Green Belt

I don't know. He said that it was sunny, but he could literally see the rain coming in.

To think of it, it was normal for him though.

13. Prefect

Prefect Brown Belt

I have seen a few tornado's so that isn't too strange.

Though this isn't that exciting but having days in winter in Minnesota were it gets up to like 60 F or -20 (-60 below with wind chill). Neither happen often but you don't forget it when it does.

Things that are strange, the red sunsets we had in 1989 in Minnesota due to forest fires in Canada. They couldn't control them so they just waited until winter for them to burn out. I don't know if I'll see that again. The Canadian forest fires dwarf anything that has happened in the U.S. in area. The largest fires in the U.S. aren't even half the size of the largest ones in Canada. They are massive. I am no firefighter or anything but I bet once they get to a certain size in these remote areas, you can't stop them. Winter does.

14. Pure Peace

Pure Peace Orange Belt

Golf ball sized hail /ice balls raining down on a hot mid summer July day

shanegotu11 likes this.
  15. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

wow !

shanegotu11 likes this.
  16. RerouteToRemain

RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

We get them here pretty much every summer.

Here is a bad one from like 2 years ago, 116+ mph winds, ridiculous amount of water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Sir GymTanLaundry

Sir GymTanLaundry Brown Belt

I love when it rains in NO. Just brings the piss and beer smell to the tip of your nostrils.

Bubzeh likes this.
  18. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    When I was in college we got roughly 10 feet of snow in about 8 days. Full blown white outs during the nights, where you couldn't see 5 feet away, because the high winds were whipping up the snow before it even had a chance to settle. Despite all that, me and my homies still braved the elements to get beer. :cool:

I towed my buddy around the streets in his Jeep while he snowboarded and hit jumps off of the enormous snow banks. The snow eventually had to be front loaded and taken away by the truck load, because after a few days, there ended up being nowhere to put it all. Some snowbanks grew to be higher than houses.

It made national news.

Same region, during summer, a violent rain storm moved in so fast I've never seen anything like it in my entire life. It swept across the sky in seconds, looking like Armageddon. Dumped water all over us (we were having a block party and everyone was drinking and playing beer pong outside), getting all the ladies wet, then was gone just as fast as it came in, the sunny skies returning.

Good times.

19. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

[​IMG]

TSO likes this.
  20. Losfer Words

Losfer Words Purple Belt

We get crazy monsoons here. It is not uncommon to have a storm raging in your backyard while your front yard is sunny and dry.

PoundMeToo likes this.