Stories of Rickson | Page 6

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ishaq, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Ilk Orange Belt

Ilk

My problem with all that is that there is not a single world class name. And that it is all in the rules of MMA (I was asking what about rules of wrestling mostly) with no Olympic appearance at all at wrestling and stuff that actually matter in the world of sports. Sorry if I am disrespecting, but the world did not really know about MMA in the early days so BJJ may have dominated, but do we really have a single BJJ champion right now even in MMA? And where are all the Gracies right now, challenging world champs in UFC?

I am not sure how people buy into this, really. It is either pure marketing or is some kind of a fraud. It is like the story of Bruce Lee, apparently the father of MMA who has not a single documented fight :)

2. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Im not sure what you are referring to when you say "there is not a single world class name." In the wrestling community if you can win medals in international level tournaments or if you have beaten many guys who have, then you are considered world class. All of these wrestlers I mentioned fit into this criteria comfortably. And just so you are aware I do not have a position in the debate you were having with Uchi mata, I am just a bit of a wrestling trivia nut and could give examples you were looking for.

SUPERGRAPPLER, Ilk and Gregoire1 like this.
  3. snowdale White Belt

snowdale
    Well, there is not much, really. He literally says only this "By the way, I have won Soviet National guard Sambo Championship". The whole interview is mostly about greco and this was just a short line.

dsdoubled likes this.
  4. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Cool. Thanks man.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  5. AndyMaBobs Purple Belt

AndyMaBobs
    Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Not to mention he beat a Funaki wasn't allowed to hit Rickson on the ground.

SUPERGRAPPLER likes this.
  6. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    saku would beat the crap out of rickson standing. Rickson will make saku look like ali. Rickson wont be able to take down saku .

SUPERGRAPPLER and Coconutwater like this.
  7. Scitney Blue Belt

Scitney
    Brazil literally sent one male wrestler to the Olympics, and that was in Greco. Brazil has terrible freestyle wrestling. Where are you getting that Rolles had a good shot at wrestling in the Olympics?

8. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    It was kind of a situation of the stars aligning for him. The Canadian, American, and Cuban HWs all had either sat out or already qualified by the time the Pan Am qualifier(s) rolled around so a top 2 finish was well within reach for Rolles. And while he had absolutely no shot at medaling in Rio, he actually wrestled decently well in the tourneys he entered leading up to the games. So in this case coming from a country with pretty weak wrestling actually benefitted Rolles bc he would've been a favorite to win the Brazilian Nationals/trials.

Scitney and Gregoire1 like this.
  9. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I always found it odd that Brazil, a country with such strong judo, their history with luta livre, and obviously Bjj, has horrible wrestling. It just doesn't add up. Grappling is overall at a very high level in brazil.