Stopping the legs under armpit-mount escape

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I regularly roll with a guy who uses a neat escape from mount where he gets his legs under my armpit and pushes off for the escape.

I know I should be staying low and perhaps taking a more traditional mount rather than a high mount but I'm still finding it difficult keeping him there.

Any advice?

I roll with a few guy that do this, one can turn it into a back take. First defense i learned was to just turn your shoulders sideways as hes trying to pull you back. But think about this..when he has his legs and hips up in the air trying to get you..he has no ability to shrimp or oopa..hes stuck on his back at that time. When i feel the legs come up i go ahead attack the collar, elbows glued to my sides since he cant roll me while hes doing that and he cant get my armpits if i have them closed. soon hell defend and give up..then you can put you arms out as bases again and reset..Unless you get the choke.

Put your chest on his face and smother him.

the most important thing when securing a mount for me was to keep my legs/knee in tight, pin down my hips with my opponents hips, lower my chest to his chest and smother him like Ishaq said, keep a low center of gravity, and be prepared to base out if he tries to bridge.

If you keep a low mount with grape vines and head control, that escape is impossible. You can attack Ezekiel and arm triangle safely.

If you do want to posture up and use a high mount, I found people were hitting that escape because I was moving my hips too far up on their chest. You want to move your center of balance up away from their hips, but you shouldn't go too high past their ribs/sternum, you just need to be off their hips to minimize the power of their bridge.

But yeah if you know a guy likes this escape, don't give him a chance. Stay low and smash his face

its a high percentage escape, but like people have said I mostly hit it when poeple move forward looking for mounted triangles.

I second the smash the face counter. You can also pester the person arms when they reach up; get low and hug them together threatening the arms.

What's the name, I find it hard to picture, is it a transition-to-half-guard-to-whatever one?

I use this escape all the time due to my long legs. It's completely shut down if someone stays low. I've also been caught in a toehold while attempting it

Hi Guys,

I regularly roll with a guy who uses a neat escape from mount where he gets his legs under my armpit and pushes off for the escape.

I know I should be staying low and perhaps taking a more traditional mount rather than a high mount but I'm still finding it difficult keeping him there.

Any advice?
Mount to knee mount

I forgot to mention there is a variation of mount where you put your knees on the ground, and hook your insteps over his legs ( like staples. Combine this with head control and it's a bear to get out of, and totally kills this escape.

He can only do the escape when youre high in mount.
To prevent him from being able to reach your armpits, put the soles of your feet on his hips when moving to high mount.

Lower mount. This is a frowned upon escape due to the fact it can create an injuryou via scramble to person on top

He can only do the escape when youre high in mount.
To prevent him from being able to reach your armpits, put the soles of your feet on his hips when moving to high mount.
This. The feet on hips makes it way harder to raise the hips, and that's the only way this escape can have the potential to work

Back