Stop looking at mass killers as unique murderers... How to really stop this..

I want a full FBI background check, like what you have to get to work at a bank. They don't just "make a phone call". Plus, not everywhere has the same standard. I want a Federal standard, and I want more things to disqualify people from gun ownership.
It is a federal standard. FFL license are issued by the ATF. No matter where you are, the background check is Federal.

I want a full FBI background check, like what you have to get to work at a bank. They don't just "make a phone call". Plus, not everywhere has the same standard. I want a Federal standard, and I want more things to disqualify people from gun ownership.
The background checks they run now are at a federal standard, I don't think they change based on state. I fill out that same form that my buddy in Utah and another friend in Oregon fill out. Everyone calls the ATF for them to run the check based on your SSN through their database.

My understanding of the FBI check for banks looks into your taxes, I don't see what my taxes and shit has to do with me owning a firearm.

And what sort of things to disqualify people?

How's that worked out for us so far?

How about you read your shitty literature, and give us some actual solutions instead of "Hurr durr ban guns"?
1. National firearm database.
2. Expanded background checks.
3. Purchase tracking(guns and ammo)
4. More than certain number of rounds of ammo needs to be stored at your gun range where you're a member.
5. Incredibly stringent securiyy requirements for storage of guns and ammo. Fingerprint ID safe mandated, ammo storage at gun ranges above military standards.
6. All assault rifles made illegal.
7. 25 to own a handgun.
8. Make personal firearm resale illegal.
9. Make commission of a crime with a stolen gun a criminal penalty for the owner of the gun that was stolen.
10. 5 round max capacity magazines.
11. Gun buyback for existing assault, auto, and other combat weapons.
12. No more gun shows. Period. Only authorized gun sellers who meet the highest requirements will be allowed to sell guns.

I'm advocating for a change in what the background checks are even checking.

I'd be OK with allowing convicted felons who have served their time without incident to purchase guns, but I think we need to crack down on people with mental health and juvenile records purchasing them.

That just doesn’t make sense. I realize the mass shootings make headlines, but something like 75% of murders by firearm are committed by convicted felons. And statistically people with mental disorders are far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators. As far as specifically suicidal ideation, I do think you might have something there.

The background checks they run now are at a federal standard, I don't think they change based on state. I fill out that same form that my buddy in Utah and another friend in Oregon fill out. Everyone calls the ATF for them to run the check based on your SSN through their database.

My understanding of the FBI check for banks looks into your taxes, I don't see what my taxes and shit has to do with me owning a firearm.

And what sort of things to disqualify people?
Any type of DV. Even minor.

I think the age of ownership and purchase should be raised to 21.

Any history of violence initiated by the purchaser.

Purpose as well.

Also, current gun ownership.

No more than 3 guns per home.

Lmao at uninformed lefties. This debate will likely NEVER occur on a scale that will bring change because there are more than 300,000,000 guns in the US.

I say likely because... who knows.... maybe some democrat somewhere will magically grow a brain, in adulthood, and come up with a magic ray gun to make all those guns disappear. It's hilarious when people say outlaw them. Outlaw murder, you retards.

I'm advocating for a change in what the background checks are even checking.

I'd be OK with allowing convicted felons who have served their time without incident to purchase guns, but I think we need to crack down on people with mental health and juvenile records purchasing them.

I agree with this.

4. More than certain number of rounds of ammo needs to be stored at your gun range where you're a member.
5. Incredibly stringent securiyy requirements for storage of guns and ammo. Fingerprint ID safe mandated, ammo storage at gun ranges above military standards.
7. 25 to own a handgun.
9. Make commission of a crime with a stolen gun a criminal penalty for the owner of the gun that was stolen.
12. No more gun shows. Period. Only authorized gun sellers who meet the highest requirements will be allowed to sell guns.
Heil Homer!

In order to understand mass killers, we need to stop looking at them as a unique phenomenon. They are simply suicidal young men.

That's right - suicidal.

The mass killing is merely a fantasy, an ideation concocted in order to bring about the ultimate desire... their own death.

I'm not open to any new gun laws, but I am open to refining the ones we already have, and here's my idea.

#1 - Flag anyone who ever self-harms, or expresses suicidal ideation as unfit to carry or own a firearm. This would require a trial by a jury of peers if the person losing their right demands it.

#2 - Lift some of the HIPAA laws when it comes to mental health. Gun vendors should see flags if a person has any suicidal marks in their record.

#3 - Lower or remove the idea of "Sealed Juvenile" records. If you are committed to a mental hospital at 16, that should stay on your record. It shouldn't magically disappear when you turn 18.

All of this, in combination with arming and hardening our schools and other soft targets, will go a long way towards making a safer America.
If I have not committed a crime, why is it important that I trade my constitutionally protected Right to Privacy in order for me to utilize my constitutionally protected Right to Bear Arms? That does not seem like it will hold up in the Courts, and it shouldn't.

What really makes it unique?

If a person drives off a bridge, it's a suicide. If a person swallows pills, it's a suicide. Use a gun? It's a suicide. Mass shooting? It's a suicide - that takes other people with them.

It's a mental health issue - particularly a suicide issue. Not a gun issue.

Most countries and periods in time have their own suicide styles.
You couldn't be more wrong if you were just dumb, instead of being completely disingenuous. Where did you get the marching orders for this shit argument? Reddit?

Will never happen.

??? How? This is exactly what I'm proposing and you're shitting on it.

Will never happen.

Will never happen.

Will never happen.

No such thing as an Assault Rifle, but if you're talking about semi automatic rifles... will never happen.

7. 25 to own a handgun.

I think it should be 16.

Works great with marijuana and opiates, right? lol

What good would this even accomplish?

Sigh. No.

Nope.

smh, no.

He's just straight deflecting to avoid the gun control debate that's coming.

I'm not even addressing his gun control position. My issue is his beyond stupid conflation of suicidal with homicidal.

That just doesn’t make sense. I realize the mass shootings make headlines, but something like 75% of murders by firearm are committed by convicted felons. And statistically people with mental disorders are far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators. As far as specifically suicidal ideation, I do think you might have something there.

Non-violent felons. Plenty of those who pose no risk.

How's that worked out for us so far?

How about you read your shitty literature, and give us some actual solutions instead of "Hurr durr ban guns"?

Because if the left isn't willing to come to the table on something this small, you will never get any form of change.

So you're trolling? Is that it?

What really makes it unique?

If a person drives off a bridge, it's a suicide. If a person swallows pills, it's a suicide. Use a gun? It's a suicide. Mass shooting? It's a suicide - that takes other people with them.

It's a mental health issue - particularly a suicide issue. Not a gun issue.

Most countries and periods in time have their own suicide styles.
Mass shooting is absolutely not just another suicide method. I'd say it's mass homicide that often results in the perpetrators committing suicide.

You're having tunnel vision because of your political beliefs. You claim to not ignore the other factors, but that is exactly what you are doing.

I'm not even addressing his gun control position. My issue is his beyond stupid conflation of suicidal with homicidal.
He's not even thinking about it like that though. This is just pure bullshit, straight from some right wing blog.

7. 25 to own a handgun.

You'd have to be straight up illiterate to not understand why the first reason on your list will never come to fruition. Try harder, you're shtick is used up.

If I have not committed a crime, why is it important that I trade my constitutionally protected Right to Privacy in order for me to utilize my constitutionally protected Right to Bear Arms? That does not seem like it will hold up in the Courts, and it shouldn't.

You're correct, to a degree.

It's why I included 'Due Process' in the OP.

I think we should mark suicidal people as unfit to carry a firearm, but if they wish to go before a jury of their peers, they should have that right. The mental health professionals should have to argue beyond a reasonable doubt that the person is unfit to carry a weapon.

There's a reason why the rest of the world doesn't have an epidemic of school shootings. There's probably a couple of reasons, actually.

Suicide and homicide conflate in actions a lot. I realize there is a difference but it seems the two are partners in a sense.

Back