Stomp kick to the kneecap - is it effective in self defense?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How effective would a kick to the kneecap be when it comes to self defense?

In movies, stomp kick directly to the kneecap would end a fight. I know it's a movie but it seems very realistic and I want to know whether if it works in real life?

That attacker would be standing, his leg would be straight and he'll only jab or try grab ahold of you, it would be an easy target to hit if you have some kickboxing background and flexible legs, right?

Someone threw a chasse bas at me once(the rear leg kick too the thigh, knee, shin etc) that alot of Jackson/Wink fighters throw, stopped me in my tracks as I was coming in with a jab. Didn't do it hard or clean enough, because the person wasn't very skilled with it, but it was enough to make me think twice about coming forward.

I'm no expert, but in my limited experience they definitely work when you time them on someone coming in.

A low sidekick too the leg works well too, we've seen Jon Jones use both multiple times, these kicks are considered dirty by some, but it's damn effective in stopping someone coming forward, especially someone with an aggressive Boxing centric attack.

They were banned in American Kickboxing because many thought there'd be alot of serious injuries and Savate, French Foot Fighting, which is rooted in Street Fighting, makes great use of it, that's where the term "chasse bas" comes from.

Personally, low kicks like those are among the only one I'd ever throw in a self defense situation. More for stopping someone in their tracks than doing damage, but if you fuck their knee up, they were trying to hurt you, it's on them.

As above the kick is widely used in savate which originated for self defence. An old coach of mine was throwing these back in 2008 and they are very effective an work well for inflexible people like myself in place of teeps.

The kick is even better with shoes or boots on. It is really hard to counter with the boots because you can cut up people shins and similar as they try to defend it.
I don't really like it in mma personally as it generally is used to hyper extend the knee. We used to do it to the thigh and more as a foot style jab.

Strait kick to the knee is effective.

I think teep to the midsection would be this first strike i'd ever teach for a SD course though.

Savate, regarding street fighting, would be with shoes, if they step in your blow will scrap down the shin and you could possibly crush their instep with the heel of your shoe, not something you can do with soft shoes or bare feet, stomping the instep is alot more effective with a pair of wooden heeled shoes...,..

Savate kicks use the foot and are best practiced with foot protection and a cane for street fighting........;)

I think you need to follow up with a punch or something pretty quick. I've been hit pretty clean with one before in sparring and it managed to knock me into the opposite stance, but within a second I'd got over it. So it did put me in a bad position for a moment, but in self defence I think you'd be better off immediately following up with another fight ending technique, like a big punch or a takedown or something.

I have a pretty fun story. A boy from the hood used that to straight kick in the shin with his boots, like a soccer kicking a ball with his toes. Once he got me and got damn it hurt and I begged not to fight. But the second time we fought I knew his move and I timed him with a nice overhand in the face. So ye shit works and I have been kicked like that as a kid :D

Strait kick to the knee is effective.

I think teep to the midsection would be this first strike i'd ever teach for a SD course though.

Why not a soccer kick or karate front kick to the balls?

silvaknee_crop_exact.jpg

Its not a worthless technique it can break legs but rarely, it is one of the 1st targets that come into range, it does do damage if it doesn't break the leg getting a wrenched knee isnt pleasant or good for mobility, there is a fear factor people are rightly scared of the kick and using it will make them hesitant cautious, and you only have to kick to the knee which is economical for speed and retraction.

Despite Bruce Lee's recommendations I dont think its a good go to technique in a street fight. Its not going to be as reliable as other high % techniques like the left hook straight right, eye jab etc it also reduces your balance and can be countered, and for what, not much chance of ending the fight.

If however you are as powerful and as fast as Bruce was then it may be a different dynamic. Bones Jones and Anderson silva are not throwing a powerful stomp kick and they are some of the few fighters to use it so the jury is still out on this kick.

Some of the best side kickers are form san shou, and they are not allowed to kick to the knee, its a shame we dont have more sanda fighters in MMA maybe we will now the Chinese own the UFC?

knee.gif

BriefGlossyCaracal.gif

NaturalGrandGemsbuck.gif

giphy.gif

All of the side kicks to the knee that we have seen are not high quality side kicks like the guy below throws or like bruce lee throws, so the jury is still out, watching a sloppy side kick is not a fair way to decipher if its a worthy technique or not

Last edited:
silvaknee_crop_exact.jpg

Its not a worthless technique it can break legs but rarely, it is one of the 1st targets that come into range, it does do damage if it doesn't break the leg getting a wrenched knee isnt pleasant or good for mobility, there is a fear factor people are rightly scared of the kick and using it will make them hesitant cautious, and you only have to kick to the knee which is economical for speed and retraction.

Despite Bruce Lee's recommendations I dont think its a good go to technique in a street fight. Its not going to be as reliable as other high % techniques like the left hook straight right, eye jab etc it also reduces your balance and can be countered, and for what, not much chance of ending the fight.

If however you are as powerful and as fast as Bruce was then it may be a different dynamic. Bones Jones and Anderson silva are not throwing a powerful stomp kick and they are some of the few fighters to use it so the jury is still out on this kick.

Some of the best side kickers are form san shou, and they are not allowed to kick to the knee, its a shame we dont have more sanda fighters in MMA maybe we will now the Chinese own the UFC?

knee.gif

BriefGlossyCaracal.gif

NaturalGrandGemsbuck.gif

giphy.gif

All of the side kicks to the knee that we have seen are not high quality side kicks like the guy below throws or like bruce lee throws, so the jury is still out, watching a sloppy side kick is not a fair way to decipher if its a worthy technique or not

The Chinese bought out WME from Ari and the other guys?

Back