Stock Legit Strength Numbers

I remember this one kid in school. Never lifted but was strong. Real strong. One time he went to the gym and we thought he would have high numbers in the gym. He just had modest numbers. Nothing great but for whatever reason he was still strong. Like he beat you in arm wrestling or if he wrestle you he could take you down and hold you down. He was not a wrestler by the way but had strong core and was hard to move.

At the flip side I met guys who lift all the time with decent weight numbers. But when it came to do functional stuff they were like average.

What exactly do you mean by functional? Picking heavy things up off the ground is about as functional as you can get.

You are strong when you can bench press the moon.

True. Although I've been to commercial gyms in a few other countries, like Turkey and Jordan, and seen the same thing.

Here in Amman there are a lot of big guys- it seems like half the guys in the gym are at least pretty jakt, and some are huge. But they don't really bench that heavy. I might have seen a few people repping a hundred kg a few times I guess. These big guys seem to spend more time on incline and decline, dumbbells and machines. And I almost never see any of them squat. And I think the whole time I've been working out here in Amman I've seen maybe one person squat to parallel with more than 100kg.

There are definitely a few people around who can move more weight- a guy comes and practices Oly in the upstairs section and moves some decent weights. But they are pretty rare.

its very rare in commercial gyms to see people with more than 100kg on the bar from what I've seen. I've had bench bros stop and watch me deadlift 140kg like it was mythical (it was a nice boost to my confidence) and i've had people do the same when rack pulling 200kg, to anyone who has done any real strength program these lifts aren't great. its been said before but people dont work hard enough in the gym.

What are good target numbers for someone who just wants to be strong, not like exceptionally strong. So bascially just a good baseline for when legit strength starts in comparison to the non-lifter.
Today I did five sets of 10 curls with 35lbs dumbells. That's not good or anything, but I've always felt that my arms are the only muscle that's relatively strong in comparison to others.

So what are some good baseline lifts?
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Hex is just an easier exercise you will probably always be able to do more on it even if you started training BB deadlifts.

I think people highly under value the power of consistency. I am not a powerlifter, exceptional athlete, or anything. I weigh pretty much the same as you (173 as of this morning at 5'9) and have over a 500 lb deadlift and 390 lb squat. I didn't do it quickly just slowly adding weight, adjusting accordingly, and being consistent over 5 or so years.
Consistency. You're absolutely right, most underrated thing when it comes to training, everything comes with time.

I remember this one kid in school. Never lifted but was strong. Real strong. One time he went to the gym and we thought he would have high numbers in the gym. He just had modest numbers. Nothing great but for whatever reason he was still strong. Like he beat you in arm wrestling or if he wrestle you he could take you down and hold you down. He was not a wrestler by the way but had strong core and was hard to move.

At the flip side I met guys who lift all the time with decent weight numbers. But when it came to do functional stuff they were like average.
Came here to say this too. There is a huge difference between strength and then being able to use it in a functional manner.

Life is such a weird thing when it comes to this. I think there are certain factors that play into differences as well:

1) a individuals unique bio-mechanical build. Short or long torso, broad or narrow shoulders, etc.

2) a persons natural pertinence towards efficiency in movement.

3) ligament and tendon strength and size.

4) mentality or mental fortitude. Likely the absolute 1 factor of all 4 mentioned.

Then I look at various things that are more practical. For instance I think the spartan races / broken skull ranch / American ninja warrior obstacles are actually a good measure for practical strength, because that is all real world shit. I think special force operators from the military are good examples as well.

For what it's worth, while they were likely outliers, jack lalanne and Hershel walker were interesting guys who did mostly calisthenics. In that regard I've meet some real strong guys who only do calisthenics, plyometrics, and sprints who are very strong.

Personally myself I love to extensively or exclusively train using the eccentric or negative training. I rotate between two and three times a week, with some bag work. I feel great.

This isn't even my final form. I haven't attained my old man strength yet.
I'm older than you by a couple of years, don't worry about it.

Not going to lie,

Those numbers seem too high.

I'm 6'1 and when I was rolling BJJ I was 175lbs. Here are my real goals:

Bench 250
Squat 300 (My lower body is poorly built)
Deadlift 350
Curl three sets of five at 70

The BW ratios mentioned (1x BW press etc) are for strength athletes. Bjj and MMA has a large endurance component (and even larger skill component) so it will be harder/take longer to hit those numbers (and for some the point of diminishing returns will mean it's never worth putting in the hours under the bar to attain them).

Personally I'd want a slightly larger deadlift than that at 175. UFC LW's that walk around 175 (like miller) deadlift 400+ (and it's unlikely you'd be cutting 20 pounds like they do). The grip strength carry over from deadlift is just so worth it for bjj. Still good goals for a sport like bjj, you won't be weak rolling at those strength levels at that weight.

The BW ratios mentioned (1x BW press etc) are for strength athletes. Bjj and MMA has a large endurance component (and even larger skill component) so it will be harder/take longer to hit those numbers (and for some the point of diminishing returns will mean it's never worth putting in the hours under the bar to attain them).

Personally I'd want a slightly larger deadlift than that at 175. UFC LW's that walk around 175 (like miller) deadlift 400+ (and it's unlikely you'd be cutting 20 pounds like they do). The grip strength carry over from deadlift is just so worth it for bjj. Still good goals for a sport like bjj, you won't be weak rolling at those strength levels at that weight.

Yeah, I never lifted when I was rolling and I never felt extremely out muscled by guys around my weight. I certainly could have been stronger though.

I'm actually afraid of lower body workouts because my knees and hips are a bit gimpy

Yeah, I never lifted when I was rolling and I never felt extremely out muscled by guys around my weight. I certainly could have been stronger though.

I'm actually afraid of lower body workouts because my knees and hips are a bit gimpy
It's about finding the exercises and variations of exercises that works for you, if your knees and hips are a little iffy. Like say, you don't have to do conventional DLs and/or highbar squats, if they make the problem worse. Try sumo, semi sumo, rack pull, pause DLs, Romanians DLs and so forth, or low bar squats, box squats, half/quarter squatting, goblet squats, front squats so forth. Use different cues. Alternatively you can use the leg press or other machines to build some lower body tissue strength, if you can't do free weights. They can be a good supplement either way.

Having a good coach can help with a lot of those things, but the point is, it's not just about what you do, but how you do it. The point of these exercises is to reduce pain and make you stronger, not induce pain and make you weaker. Keeping the loads below 75% of your 1RM for a while untill you get things down can help you out too. Find what works for you and build over time.

It's about finding the exercises and variations of exercises that works for you, if your knees and hips are a little iffy. Like say, you don't have to do conventional DLs and/or highbar squats, if they make the problem worse. Try sumo, semi sumo, rack pull, pause DLs, Romanians DLs and so forth, or low bar squats, box squats, half/quarter squatting, goblet squats, front squats so forth. Use different cues. Alternatively you can use the leg press or other machines to build some lower body tissue strength, if you can't do free weights. They can be a good supplement either way.

Having a good coach can help with a lot of those things, but the point is, it's not just about what you do, but how you do it. The point of these exercises is to reduce pain and make you stronger, not induce pain and make you weaker. Keeping the loads below 75% of your 1RM for a while untill you get things down can help you out too. Find what works for you and build over time.

Hell yeah.

That's badass advice!

Back