Stock Legit Strength Numbers | Page 4

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Overtures, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Mcmoon Green Belt

Mcmoon
    What exactly do you mean by functional? Picking heavy things up off the ground is about as functional as you can get.

2. DrBdan Something clever

DrBdan
    You are strong when you can bench press the moon.

3. chubbman Yellow Card

chubbman
    its very rare in commercial gyms to see people with more than 100kg on the bar from what I've seen. I've had bench bros stop and watch me deadlift 140kg like it was mythical (it was a nice boost to my confidence) and i've had people do the same when rack pulling 200kg, to anyone who has done any real strength program these lifts aren't great. its been said before but people dont work hard enough in the gym.

4. nhbfan8080 Black Belt

nhbfan8080
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Overtures likes this.
  5. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Man you're old as dirt

6. mcveteran81 Veteran

mcveteran81
    Consistency. You're absolutely right, most underrated thing when it comes to training, everything comes with time.

7. mcveteran81 Veteran

mcveteran81
    Came here to say this too. There is a huge difference between strength and then being able to use it in a functional manner.

Life is such a weird thing when it comes to this. I think there are certain factors that play into differences as well:

1) a individuals unique bio-mechanical build. Short or long torso, broad or narrow shoulders, etc.

2) a persons natural pertinence towards efficiency in movement.

3) ligament and tendon strength and size.

4) mentality or mental fortitude. Likely the absolute 1 factor of all 4 mentioned.

Then I look at various things that are more practical. For instance I think the spartan races / broken skull ranch / American ninja warrior obstacles are actually a good measure for practical strength, because that is all real world shit. I think special force operators from the military are good examples as well.

For what it's worth, while they were likely outliers, jack lalanne and Hershel walker were interesting guys who did mostly calisthenics. In that regard I've meet some real strong guys who only do calisthenics, plyometrics, and sprints who are very strong.

Personally myself I love to extensively or exclusively train using the eccentric or negative training. I rotate between two and three times a week, with some bag work. I feel great.

Palis likes this.
  8. Mcmoon Green Belt

Mcmoon
    This isn't even my final form. I haven't attained my old man strength yet.

ericaz and Sano like this.
  9. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    I'm older than you by a couple of years, don't worry about it.

10. BOWHUNTER Gender: Attack Chopper

BOWHUNTER
    Solid quoting!

11. aus101 Brown Belt

aus101
    The BW ratios mentioned (1x BW press etc) are for strength athletes. Bjj and MMA has a large endurance component (and even larger skill component) so it will be harder/take longer to hit those numbers (and for some the point of diminishing returns will mean it's never worth putting in the hours under the bar to attain them).

Personally I'd want a slightly larger deadlift than that at 175. UFC LW's that walk around 175 (like miller) deadlift 400+ (and it's unlikely you'd be cutting 20 pounds like they do). The grip strength carry over from deadlift is just so worth it for bjj. Still good goals for a sport like bjj, you won't be weak rolling at those strength levels at that weight.

Overtures likes this.
  12. Overtures The Guard Lives

Overtures
    Yeah, I never lifted when I was rolling and I never felt extremely out muscled by guys around my weight. I certainly could have been stronger though.

I'm actually afraid of lower body workouts because my knees and hips are a bit gimpy

aus101 likes this.
  13. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    It's about finding the exercises and variations of exercises that works for you, if your knees and hips are a little iffy. Like say, you don't have to do conventional DLs and/or highbar squats, if they make the problem worse. Try sumo, semi sumo, rack pull, pause DLs, Romanians DLs and so forth, or low bar squats, box squats, half/quarter squatting, goblet squats, front squats so forth. Use different cues. Alternatively you can use the leg press or other machines to build some lower body tissue strength, if you can't do free weights. They can be a good supplement either way.

Having a good coach can help with a lot of those things, but the point is, it's not just about what you do, but how you do it. The point of these exercises is to reduce pain and make you stronger, not induce pain and make you weaker. Keeping the loads below 75% of your 1RM for a while untill you get things down can help you out too. Find what works for you and build over time.

chubbman and Overtures like this.
  14. Overtures The Guard Lives

Overtures
    Hell yeah.

That's badass advice!

Sano likes this.