Stock Legit Strength Numbers

I think a lot of people underestimate how weak a "non-lifter" is. I've had neighbors over messing around in my garage gym and their numbers are pretty low. I'm guessing around 1.25 BW squat, BW bench, 1.5 BW deadlift, and .6 BW press. I mean they are really uncomfortable on the lifts because they don't do them at all.

I don't think the average person who doesn't lift at all is going to bench their body weight.

Tough question....

One of the first replys on the thread gave some rough numbers that seemed pretty solid but maybe slightly on the high side.

It depends on how big/heavy you are as well and if you have any kind of athletic background

I felt really strong at my old gym when i was at my strongest but at my new gym now I would perceive myself to be weaker simply due to who's around me although that SHOULDN'T come into it.

I generally think 90% of the male population couldn't do 5 reps @ BW for bench, 5 reps @ 1.5 BW for squats or deadlifts although whether that makes you strong is up for debate.

Also comparing yourself to someone who has never been in a gym is different to someone who has done 3-4 months of strength training as noob gains are so rapid

Kind of off-topic now but, I don't know how much you've travelled, but 'third world' isn't a very reliable measure of things these days. And you have to travel quite a bit to find someone who is malnourished.

By way of an illustration- I spent my teenage years in a small former mining town in the North of England, and still have a bunch of friends from there. They often come out to visit me where I am working. I've had friends from there visit me in Thailand many times, in Turkey, Beirut, Jordan, Malaysia and South Korea. For some time now, my friends have been blown away by how much more fun and cosmopolitan these places (or the big cities anyway) are then their small town in the North of England. Better bars, better restaurants, better cultural scene. More international outlook. Obviously, it's the rich part of these countries... but I can tell you that if you ever travel from Beirut or Bangkok and go to Barnsley or Middlesborough, you will feel like you are traveling to the 'third world'. I am sure there are a bunch of small rural towns in the US where you'd have the same feeling.

T' north. I've been to Doncaster definitely some developing world characteristics

1 plate press, 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat, 4 plate deadlift.

Shit! Nobody visits Middlesborough, England, so I wouldn't expect them to have put any emphasis on developing those sorts of things. visiting Bangkok is probably the worst place to go if you want to see Thailand. Wouldn't you agree?

Nooo, Bangkok is awesome. Super fun, vibrant, chaotic and charming.

I don't know if you have this idea that "big city/capital city isn't the 'real' country". But the idea is bizarre. It's true that the big cities are often quite different from the rest of the country, but the idea that somehow the place where, say, 20% of the population, 40% of the economy and all the central government somehow isn't the 'real country' is pretty crazy. If, by "Seeing Thailand" you mean "going to the beach", then yes, it's a bad place for that. But otherwise, no, not at all, it should be first on anyone's list if they want to see Thailand.

Anyway, the general point was: we've reached a point where the more developed parts of "third world" countries are now significantly more developed than less developed parts of "first world" countries. So maybe the terms are becoming less useful now.

Nooo, Bangkok is awesome. Super fun, vibrant, chaotic and charming.

I don't know if you have this idea that "big city/capital city isn't the 'real' country". But the idea is bizarre. It's true that the big cities are often quite different from the rest of the country, but the idea that somehow the place where, say, 20% of the population, 40% of the economy and all the central government somehow isn't the 'real country' is pretty crazy. If, by "Seeing Thailand" you mean "going to the beach", then yes, it's a bad place for that. But otherwise, no, not at all, it should be first on anyone's list if they want to see Thailand.

Anyway, the general point was: we've reached a point where the more developed parts of "third world" countries are now significantly more developed than less developed parts of "first world" countries. So maybe the terms are becoming less useful now.

All I got from this is that if I'm ever in Bangkok you can show me a good time-- true??

I just meant Bangkok is a tourist destination. And no, I wouldn't go to the beaches either. I would likely visit smaller, less touristic cities and villages if I wanted to get a good idea of what Thailand is all about. If I had the resources.

Just like Canada. Come and visit Toronto and you might as well be in any other developed city in the world, same with Montreal, Vancouver, etc... But visit Brockville, or Red Deer or St. Stephens, NB, or Tadousac... That's where you'll find Canada.

I am late 30s, been deadlifting (mostly hex /trap bar) properly for about 1.5 years. Well when I say properly its only once a week for heavy sets and that is usually only two semi-heavy to heavy sets, plus a couple of warm-up sets. Another day its usually one or two light sets. So it is not a dedicated powerlifting program, just something I do among lots of other exercise, cardio, bodyweight exercise, martial arts.

I currently weigh about 172-173 lbs. Just hex deadlifted 405 lbs (my best so far). Straight-bar deadlift best is 355lbs, but have not done much of it so that number should be closer to the hex if I was doing it more regularly.

Squat one rep max is not high, only 240.

What do those numbers look like given am not a dedicated powerlifter, not a huge dude and not so young anymore, not to mention carrying quite a few injuries/issues from years of exercise (do very little in the way of upper body weights, just body weight/calisthenics/gymnastics exercises)?

I'd like to get to at least 440 on hex in the next maybe three months to half year (or maybe less), and slowly get my squat up.

I am late 30s, been deadlifting (mostly hex /trap bar) properly for about 1.5 years. Well when I say properly its only once a week for heavy sets and that is usually only two semi-heavy to heavy sets, plus a couple of warm-up sets. Another day its usually one or two light sets. So it is not a dedicated powerlifting program, just something I do among lots of other exercise, cardio, bodyweight exercise, martial arts.

I currently weigh about 172-173 lbs. Just hex deadlifted 405 lbs (my best so far). Straight-bar deadlift best is 355lbs, but have not done much of it so that number should be closer to the hex if I was doing it more regularly.

Squat one rep max is not high, only 240.

What do those numbers look like given am not a dedicated powerlifter, not a huge dude and not so young anymore, not to mention carrying quite a few injuries/issues from years of exercise (do very little in the way of upper body weights, just body weight/calisthenics/gymnastics exercises)?

I'd like to get to at least 440 on hex in the next maybe three months to half year (or maybe less), and slowly get my squat up.

Hex is just an easier exercise you will probably always be able to do more on it even if you started training BB deadlifts.

I think people highly under value the power of consistency. I am not a powerlifter, exceptional athlete, or anything. I weigh pretty much the same as you (173 as of this morning at 5'9) and have over a 500 lb deadlift and 390 lb squat. I didn't do it quickly just slowly adding weight, adjusting accordingly, and being consistent over 5 or so years.

Hex is just an easier exercise you will probably always be able to do more on it even if you started training BB deadlifts.

I think people highly under value the power of consistency. I am not a powerlifter, exceptional athlete, or anything. I weigh pretty much the same as you (173 as of this morning at 5'9) and have over a 500 lb deadlift and 390 lb squat. I didn't do it quickly just slowly adding weight, adjusting accordingly, and being consistent over 5 or so years.

I know hex is easier but probably not by much as my straight bar increased pretty quickly even though I mainly did hex. With more emphasis on it, I feel like I would have got it pretty close to my hex lifts. Concentrate on hex as straight bar fucks with existing back issues.

what's a bb deadlift? bent-bar deadlift?

So what are my number like for 1.5 yrs of deadlifting (without proper deadlift training)? I think 500lb deadlift uis a long way off for me, if ever.

what's a bb deadlift? bent-bar deadlift?

So what are my number like for 1.5 yrs of deadlifting (without proper deadlift training)? I think 500lb deadlift uis a long way off for me, if ever.

BB = Barbell

I would say it differs from person to person along with what kind of plan you are on. I reached 405 within my my first year on a dedicated program. I've consistently went back and worked on things and reached 515 in April of this year I believe.

BB = Barbell

I would say it differs from person to person along with what kind of plan you are on. I reached 405 within my my first year on a dedicated program. I've consistently went back and worked on things and reached 515 in April of this year I believe.
Oh yeah that makes sense haha, bb = barbell.

I've reached 405 hex in bit under a year and a half with no dedicated program; in fact I doubt I am doing what is recommended by the pros.

Anyway, I'll try to slowly get it up to 440 lbs as a shortish term goal and then maybe give bb another go for a couple of months to try and raise that. I enjoy the bb lift, just not the back problems it gives me.

Anyway, nice work on the 515 - no doubt you'll keep increasing it over time. How old are you roughly?

Oh yeah that makes sense haha, bb = barbell.

I've reached 405 hex in bit under a year and a half with no dedicated program; in fact I doubt I am doing what is recommended by the pros.

Anyway, I'll try to slowly get it up to 440 lbs as a shortish term goal and then maybe give bb another go for a couple of months to try and raise that. I enjoy the bb lift, just not the back problems it gives me.

Anyway, nice work on the 515 - no doubt you'll keep increasing it over time. How old are you roughly?

I'm 27

I am one odd creature, the trap bar is a much harder lift for me. I dropped the regular deadlift and started using the trap bar after I found that I felt much weaker with it. I think it showed me that I tend to stop pushing with my legs when using the regular bar. I am going to work it for the next year or so and then see if it improves my regular deadlifts. I am also doing bottom position squats and snatch grip high pulls in my program. I'd really like to pull north of 575lbs at around 185lbs but I am not particularly built for deadlifting.

I remember this one kid in school. Never lifted but was strong. Real strong. One time he went to the gym and we thought he would have high numbers in the gym. He just had modest numbers. Nothing great but for whatever reason he was still strong. Like he beat you in arm wrestling or if he wrestle you he could take you down and hold you down. He was not a wrestler by the way but had strong core and was hard to move.

At the flip side I met guys who lift all the time with decent weight numbers. But when it came to do functional stuff they were like average.

T' north. I've been to Doncaster definitely some developing world characteristics

I lived there as a teenager. The only book store closed down when I was about 13... Seriously. A town of 300,000 people without a book store. One re-opened again 5-6 years later, but still.

Back