Stock Legit Strength Numbers

O

Overtures

What are good target numbers for someone who just wants to be strong, not like exceptionally strong. So bascially just a good baseline for when legit strength starts in comparison to the non-lifter.

Today I did five sets of 10 curls with 35lbs dumbells. That's not good or anything, but I've always felt that my arms are the only muscle that's relatively strong in comparison to others.

So what are some good baseline lifts?

Let's see.
Curious about strength? Check
Curled? Check
Arms = Muscle? Check

Pretty much all the necessary food groups of an f13 OP.

But cereally. See @MatterOverMind 's post. And then if you're really interested, read the FAQ's, then if you're really really serious, start a log and get awesome.

If you don't balance out those curls with a superset of skull crushers then you're kidding yourself.

I think a lot of people underestimate how weak a "non-lifter" is. I've had neighbors over messing around in my garage gym and their numbers are pretty low. I'm guessing around 1.25 BW squat, BW bench, 1.5 BW deadlift, and .6 BW press. I mean they are really uncomfortable on the lifts because they don't do them at all.

Don't worry these are the numbers of amateur competitors at some sport.

You do not expect the average guy who is not looking to compete in anything to get these numbers.

I can bare squad and deadlift my body weight and I have been pretty serious in my training the past year. Although I have not done any specific strength training.

At the gym the only person that had 1.5 bw bench was the gym owner who is an ex bodybuilder.

His squad and deadlift was not close to compete 2x bw.

You do not expect the average guy who is not looking to compete in anything to get these numbers.

I can bare squad and deadlift my body weight and I have been pretty serious in my training the past year. Although I have not done any specific strength training.

At the gym the only person that had 1.5 bw bench was the gym owner who is an ex bodybuilder.

Nope.
He asked what would be target numbers for someone who just wants to be strong. I'd say those numbers would be great goals if you want to be strong. If you want to curl yourself into a stringer, then that's different, but that's not what he asked.

1x bw press
1.5x bw bench
2x bw squat
2.5x bw deadlift
+juan

I'd put a caveat there for build (these are much easier numbers to reach if you are 5'7" with short arms/legs, than if you are 6'2" with long legs/arm span).

This is a terrible post. I wish we could neg people.

Like NurseKnuckles said, they guy just asked for a baseline for someone who wants to be strong.

Just because you and everyone at your gym are exceptionally weak doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't want to get stronger.

This is a terrible post. I wish we could neg people.

Like NurseKnuckles said, they guy just asked for a baseline for someone who wants to be strong.

Just because you and everyone at your gym are exceptionally weak doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't want to get stronger.
This.

If I walk into your gym and am the strongest one there, that gym should sell all its equipment and reopen as a donut shop.

The dude asked about strength compared to a basic non-lifter. A 2.5 bw deadlift (depending on weight) is way above that.

You can go look up state records and even find some numbers not approaching that. Again, it depends on weight, which is why it's stupid to multiple lifts by a factor of bw to begin with.

For an average sized guy. (The average american male is about 5'10'' and 180-200lbs.) If you are doing 135lb presses, 225 bench, 315 squats and 315-405 deads you are stronger than most.

I think a lot of people underestimate how weak a "non-lifter" is. I've had neighbors over messing around in my garage gym and their numbers are pretty low. I'm guessing around 1.25 BW squat, BW bench, 1.5 BW deadlift, and .6 BW press. I mean they are really uncomfortable on the lifts because they don't do them at all.

I've tried to teach 4-5 people how to squat, they have ranged from 0.5-0.75x BW when they first tried. Although it was mainly technique that was holding them back.

This.

If I walk into your gym and am the strongest one there, that gym should sell all its equipment and reopen as a donut shop.
I do not want to argue. I have no clue what the gym culture is here. But where I come from people go to the gym to look good not lift heavy. If you look at my training log my bench is 65kgx8 for sets barely. I can perhaps do 80 to 90 for 1 rep I have not tried. I train with a couple of friends who have been working out for years and their max at bench is 140 kg and they weight about 90-100 kg.

There are plenty of people who do sports professionally or amateur level and their numbers are weak too. I have an amateur kick boxer friend who weights about 85 kg and his squad max is 140 kg for 1 rep. He.does not bench at all. Yet the dude does 10 km then 100 squats, 100 burpees, 100 chin ups 100 push ups. Then sprints 800 meters.

My ex coach pro MMA fighter lifts 3 months per year. The dude is a beast but never squats or benches with over 100 kg. Yet he is 7-2 pro.

So you do not come and say some very high numbers for the average dude just like that. At the gym I go there are plenty of strong wrestlers, fighters, guards and average people who lift to look good. And only the gym owner benches with 185 kg for 1 rep and he is about 105 kg.

I would put it more simple. If you are a male around 80-90 kg pretty good numbers will be bench 100kg, squad and dead 140 kg. You will be way stronger than the average guy.

Not going to lie,

Those numbers seem too high.

I'm 6'1 and when I was rolling BJJ I was 175lbs. Here are my real goals:

Bench 250
Squat 300 (My lower body is poorly built)
Deadlift 350
Curl three sets of five at 70

Based on what the guy was actually specifically asking in his post:

just a good baseline for when legit strength starts in comparison to the non-lifter.

I agree that these numbers are too high.

1x bw press
1.5x bw bench
2x bw squat
2.5x bw deadlift

You're a lot stronger than the vast majority of non-lifting dudes well before those numbers.

The dude asked about strength compared to a basic non-lifter. A 2.5 bw deadlift (depending on weight) is way above that.

Exactly.

I better lose some fucking weight
You're definitely a strong dude, in the weightroom, if you put up those numbers. If you were serious about barbell training as your main priority and had some years of training perhaps they wouldn't be far off. If you'd want to be better than the majority at lifting weights then the numbers starts at a lower point.

It's always hard to quantify these things, and ultimately they are arbitrary unless you want to compete. You will always excell more in some lifts than others, depending on your body type and inherent mechanics.

Set up one goal at a time, put the work in, be patient and consistent and you'll see the results. You wont know how good you can get untill you actually put in the work.

You're definitely a strong dude, in the weightroom, if you put up those numbers. If you were serious about barbell training as your main priority and had some years of training perhaps they wouldn't be far off. If you'd want to be better than the majority at lifting weights then the numbers starts at a lower point.

It's always hard to quantify these things, and ultimately they are arbitrary unless you want to compete. You will always excell more in some lifts than others, depending on your body type and inherent mechanics.

Set up one goal at a time, put the work in, be patient and consistent and you'll see the results. You wont know how good you can get untill you actually put in the work.

solid posting.

Back