Stiverne Hires Prince and Dubin - Will NOT Allow Wilder-Ortiz

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Earlier today, BoxingScene.com's Keith Idec first reported that there are ongoing negotiations to finalize a fight between WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs) and undefeated puncher Luis Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs).

The two sides are trying to lock the fight down for the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, more than likely for the date of November 4. Promoter Lou DiBella, who works with Wilder, has placed the venue on hold for that date.

A few months ago, Ortiz brought in Al Haymon as his adviser - and that set the stage for a future showdown with Wilder, who is also represented by Haymon.

wilder-stiverne%20(12).jpg

But there is one big problem in making that fight a reality - Wilder owes a mandatory defense to Bermane Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs).

Apparently there are ongoing discussions between Haymon and Don King, Stiverne’s promoter, to work out a step-aside agreement - where Stiverne would receive a reasonable fee to allow Wilder-Ortiz to go forward.

BoxingScene.com has since been informed that Stiverne has hired the managerial team of James Prince and attorney Josh Dubin.

Prince and Dubin are best known for their work with light heavyweight champion Andre Ward, Olympian Shakur Stevenson and heavyweight Bryant Jennings.

Based on what BoxingScene was told, Stiverne and his management have not given King any permission to negotiate a step-aside fee - and further, they have zero interest in working out a step-aside agreement.

Stiverne wants to fight Wilder next and his handlers are ready to legally challenge the possibility of being stepped over for Ortiz. They plan to do everything possible, pursuant to their boxer's mandatory status, to ensure their fighter gets first crack at the WBC title.

The big issue in making Wilder vs. Stiverne - is finding a television outlet willing to pay for it. Wilder won a clear twelve round unanimous decision over Stiverne in January 2015 to capture the title. He's made five defenses of the belt. Stiverne's handlers view the TV situation as "their problem, not ours."

Stiverne was scheduled to face Alexander Povetkin in a final WBC eliminator last December in Russia. The fight was canceled at the last minute after the WBC was advised that Povetkin had failed a pre-fight drug test.

Back on February 26th, the World Boxing Council ordered the Wilder-Stiverne rematch. Stiverne has been out of the ring since a November 2015 decision win over Derric Rossey.

Get out of the way Stiverne. You weren't even close the first time around. Basically KOd in 2nd, outboxed almost every remaining round... needs a tune up anyway, Wilder's been actively taking scalps the whole time, Stiverne's been idle.

Seems like a bad business move overall.

Why not just put this in the Wilder/Ortiz thread?

Stiverne will take step aside money.

How is Stiverne the Mandatory? He has one fight since losing, over a year and a half ago, vs a 30-10 scrub.

How is Stiverne the Mandatory? He has one fight since losing, over a year and a half ago, vs a 30-10 scrub.
Probably because Povetkin can keep clean long enough to be Wilder's legit mandatory.

I like Stiverne, but his #1 Contender ranking is BS, and surely he knows it.

Don't be that guy preventing fights people want, that doesn't win you any fans.

Wilder is probably paying him step in the way money;)
Youre having a really hard time with this huh? After all those comments of Wilder not taking hard fights and what not.

Jesus, us boxing fans cant have nice things, can we? Wilder fights scrubs for so long, and the moment he steps up and faces a huge challenge, Stiverne, who Wilder mopped the fuck up, despite doing nothing to earn a shot aside from beating a can, gets in the way. fuck.

Youre having a really hard time with this huh? After all those comments of Wilder not taking hard fights and what not.
Is it signed?
I sincerely hope he takes a meaningful bout, if for no other reason than you must be growing tired of defending him.

Is it signed?
I sincerely hope he takes a meaningful bout, if for no other reason than you must be growing tired of defending him.
Said the same shit about Povetkin didnt ya? Then went MIA when he was in Europe training for the fight lol.

Said the same shit about Povetkin didnt ya? Then went MIA when he was in Europe training for the fight lol.

In that guys defense wilder hasn't fought anyone in his 40 fights.

The Ortiz fight would be amazing. Ortiz had alot of haters and somehow deny the guys skills.

I like wilder in an out of the ring and I like Ortiz too.
This fight answers questions about all parties.
I want to see Ortiz get a big fight before he's over the hill and he doesn't have a long way to go for that.

Wilder would get my respect and I know that is why he's contemplating this fight...

Wilder got brought along slowly exactly how he should have. Now he's trying to make good fights. I'd agree that to this point he doesn't have big scalp on his resume (Stiverne is probably the closest thing to that) but lately it's not for a lack of trying. He tried to make the Povetkin fight and we nearly saw it but Alex screwed that up. Now he's negotiating to fight Ortiz. I could understand criticizing the guy if he was just coasting on his WBC belt but he isn't. He's trying consistently to step up in competition right now. It would be great to see him just decide to fight AJ tomorrow but not necessary imo. He's trying to make the right fights at the moment.

In that guys defense wilder hasn't fought anyone in his 40 fights.

The Ortiz fight would be amazing. Ortiz had alot of haters and somehow deny the guys skills.

I like wilder in an out of the ring and I like Ortiz too.
This fight answers questions about all parties.
I want to see Ortiz get a big fight before he's over the hill and he doesn't have a long way to go for that.

Wilder would get my respect and I know that is why he's contemplating this fight...
I think Ortiz is a solid fighter, but its weird how critics find Ortiz to be such a proven stud. What has he done?

The fact is, Wilder was brought up slowly but this year hes tried to make the Povetkin and Ortiz fights. Nothing to complain about.

I think Ortiz is a solid fighter, but its weird how critics find Ortiz to be such a proven stud. What has he done?

The fact is, Wilder was brought up slowly but this year hes tried to make the Povetkin and Ortiz fights. Nothing to complain about.

Your man to ask is sinister he knows more than all of us combined. Try asking him.

Is there that many people high on Ortiz tho? I liked him a lot after the Jennings win, but then after being buster, and then looking meh in his last one.. he is too much of a question mark to be confident in.

I think Wilder's range will defeat him, but he cant get wild in there.

Is there that many people high on Ortiz tho? I liked him a lot after the Jennings win, but then after being buster, and then looking meh in his last one.. he is too much of a question mark to be confident in.

I think Wilder's range will defeat him, but he cant get wild in there.
Ortiz is treated like the HW boogeyman. Supposedly everyone is avoiding him.

Should be interesting. Ortiz actually has a reach advantage.

Back