Stipe says only fight he'll accept is a DC rematch, confident it happens in spite of Lesnar.

I think blaydes is ready. or at least the one that has the best shot out of the top 10. not sure if good enough to beat DC but he has to try, right? but fucking lewis is number 2, damn..... but he definitely doesn't deserve a shot after that performance. but I think all this talk is irrelevant since I don't see DC fighting anyone at HW aside brock. unless he pops. but I see him fighting gus if he beats volkan impressively, since if he loses he would still have the HW belt and the crack at brock
to be honest, no one really deserves a title shot. Heck, even DC did not deserve, but at least he was a champion and had a successful HW career (long ago)...
but Brock, Lewis, Francis.... no one really deserves it.

Immediate rematches are dumb; it’s much more interesting to see different matchups.

Stipe you get rematches by having a personality. Srsly the guy is boring.. he pays his wife to hang out with his boring ass.

Hey homeboy you seem to forget he set the record for most title defenses and others have gotten immediate rematechs with much less ie cody vs tj 2. Homeboy.

Lol!! These homeboys are fucking retarded aren’t they?

Stipe was a great champion. But, he got knocked the fuck out in the first round. I don't think he has much of a case for an immediate rematch. I don't think Brock getting a title shot is a good thing either. But, there are several good up-and-coming HWs now; why not give one of them a chance? And how about Lewis vs. Stipe?

Jarl

I wouldn't say he got destroyed. He got ko'd in a fight he was winning.

winning, sure, but he also got destroyed. he got crumpled by the first decent punch Cormier landed. that's destroyed.

i thought Stipe was winning the fight also, and i thought Stipe would KO DC before the fight, but Stipe definitely got destroyed.

ufc will bribe usada to allow brock to fight

stipe can train as a hopeful alternate

Stipe got wrecked in the first round and....Brock is brock.....Not happening.

Funny he was happy to fight Brock when he was champ, but now he's a contender again, Brock is no longer worthy for a title shot.

See, I honestly don't know.
I mean, I hear ya.
But IMHO Blaydes is not ready (same as Francis wasn't ready).

Volkov could be... but do you really think he did enough to fight for the belt?
I mean Werdum is a great win, but he's 3-3 in his last 6. Struve is 3-5 in his last 8 and Roy 4-8...
I mean they are the best names on his resume, but he didn't fight them when they were at the best time in their careers.... Make sense?

I just don't know if this is enough to say he is a top contender...
Hopefully Volkov gets another high profile fight for UFC Moscow

Wishful thinking..

It does sound like a "if you think it it will come" attitude, doesn't it? But I disagree that it means that the only fight he'll accept is a DC rematch. I think he's saying that in reference for the November window mentioned immediately before; he'd turn it around in that tight timeframe to get in the rematch before DC's retirement deadline, but if it's any other situation he'll take the time off to be with his soon-arriving child–like he said he would even before the DC fight took place. When they speak in more general terms, notice Stipe gets vague and goes "we''ll see what happens." That isn't someone delivering an ultimatum; that's someone keeping his cards close to his chest in negotiating. It would be stupid to declare what you'll settle for, because if you do, sure as sure that's all you'll be offered.

Funny he was happy to fight Brock when he was champ, but now he's a contender again, Brock is no longer worthy for a title shot.
Forgot about that!

But did Stipe say Lesnar was worthy of a title shot before? No, he said he'd love and be happy to fight him. That's a little different. Remember, Stipe never made any move to pick and choose his opponents, especially not when he was champ. He fought who the UFC lined up for him. So he'd never criticize the pick for his contender.

Me, I'd prefer that Stipe would shrug his shoulders and say "it sucks, but I knew Lesnar was likely for the next TS before I stepped in the Octagon so I'll have to live with it." But what he's saying now is not as hypocritical a turn as you insinuate.

He is not a marketable champion. Dana is probably laughing. Less work for him.

Maybe Coker will pick him up and put him in the OW tourney as an alternate. Imagine Fedor vs Stipe? WOOD

But I disagree that it means that the only fight he'll accept is a DC rematch. I think he's saying that in reference for the November window mentioned immediately before; he'd turn it around in that tight timeframe to get in the rematch before DC's retirement deadline but if it's any other situation he'll take the time off to be with his soon-arriving child–like he said he would even before the DC fight took place.
Of course it's not the only fight he'll accept. Stipe has no choice but to accept a different fight. However what he said is exactly what I wrote. Stipe's clinging to a wishful proposal which is the equivalent of asking DC to hand his belt back. Yeah it's not going to happen.
Paraphrasing but it's a fair representation:
Ariel: But what if they come to you with different fight...
Stipe: I want a rematch it's all I care about.
Ariel: that's the only fight you're open too...
Stipe: YEP.
Ariel: What if they don't give you the rematch?
Stipe: I better get it..
Ariel: Or else what?
Stipe: We'll find out.
Ariel: Does the fact that Dana said the fight is inked does that worry you?
Stipe: Nope we'll figure it out.
Yeah.....didn't take this out of context here.
, . When they speak in more general terms, notice Stipe gets vague and goes "we''ll see what happens." That isn't someone delivering an ultimatum; that's someone keeping his cards close to his chest in negotiating. It would be stupid to declare what you'll settle for, because if you do, sure as sure that's all you'll be offered.
This is the most armchair psychologist statement ever. Stipe gave direct answers, to Ariel's direct questions. He said "We'll figure it out" and asserts right after that he's confident it will happen, not a vague "we'll see what happens...." as you claim. You disagree because you created a fake scenario in your head, and believed it for the sake of being a contrarian. C'mon admit it. Stipe isn't negotiating, he has no power whatsoever in DC's next fight. In other worlds the stage is set, Stipe has no cards in this scenario.
But did Stipe say Lesnar was worthy of a title shot before? No, he said he'd love and be happy to fight him. That's a little different. Remember, Stipe never made any move to pick and choose his opponents, especially not when he was champ. He fought who the UFC lined up for him. So he'd never criticize the pick for his contender.

Me, I'd prefer that Stipe would shrug his shoulders and say "it sucks, but I knew Lesnar was likely for the next TS before I stepped in the Octagon so I'll have to live with it." But what he's saying now is not as hypocritical a turn as you insinuate.
Accepting a hypothetical Lesnar fight by extension directly implies that he could care less if he's worthy or not, he sees the dollar signs like everyone else. You love splitting hairs I see, look forward to unpacking the next response..

Last edited:
Stipe going diva mode? Lol.

He refuses to marlma any fights or promote himself, then expects UFC to grant him instant rematch off a brutal 1st KO loss? No bueno.

No way the ufc lets this happen. I wonder if dc even fights again until brock. I cant see him fighting anthony smith if he beats shogun, and theres no one else for him to fight thats worth it at lhw. That brock payday is good enough for all parties, that dc could just sit & wait.

Back