Stipe had probably half a dozen times to put the hooks in and go for an RNC but didn't. Ngan was

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So gassed Stipe wouldn't even need to get the arm under the chin and Ngan would have tapped because he was so gassed. Did anyone else not see this? Instead Stipe just leaned on him in position and threw arm punches. I kept saying get the hooks in, go for the rnc. Stipe seemed more than content to just arm punch Ngan and pepper him all night to a decision.

It's obvious Stipe wanted to go the full 25 minutes to spite the UFC. No better way to get back at them for their bullshit.

I wish he would have thrown in the hooks and really committed the choke in the last 30 seconds of every round. I can't ask for recklessness, but I think it's fair to ask for a low-risk choke attempt on a near-dead opponent.

It did upset me how he didn't even try to finish it. In the 4th round, he casually stood up by walking away, took his time turning around, and got back down on Nganou. FrancN was so tired he couldn't even get up in fewer than ten seconds. If Stipe pushed just a little bit, he could have worked into a sub.

I wish he would have thrown in the hooks and really committed the choke in the last 30 seconds of every round. I can't ask for recklessness, but I think it's fair to ask for a low-risk choke attempt on a near-dead opponent.
Right? Francis was looking for a way out. Apply a slight squeeze, and Ngan taps.

He fought boring on purpose to piss off Dana is the current conspiracy theory

I was thinking the same but I think Stipe knew he would gas out if he tried. Francis could take shots.

If I'm not mistaken Stipe did go for an RNC once, but the round ended

I don't anything you guys don't.. But I think that was the plan. I assumed Stipe was tiring him to build to some sort of submission attempt but maybe wasn't confident or too tired when the time came.

Another poster suggested he just wanted to make Francis look terrible and basic.

Last edited:
It's obvious Stipe wanted to go the full 25 minutes to spite the UFC. No better way to get back at them for their bullshit.
I like it. Pay the man for his hard work, dedication, and putting his health and clarity on the line so people like Dana White can purchase snow to melt on their driveway.

He heard Cruz and Rogan at the table saying that he should lean on Ngannou...

Stipe doesnt have a good top game or sub game. Doesnt transition from sturikes to subs, get dominant positions or generally have very good gurappling outside wrestling

I had money on this fight. I have 17:1 submission & 23:1 R4 stoppage; and I understand why Stipe did it.

The only way Ngannou was going to be Stipe from there was by accident or an exact overhand. Even if he landed he would need a good 0:15 to probably get a referee willing to stop the fight.

Im surprised Stipe has so much honor not to literally run to the point where the referee would have to warn him to engage or it would be Stoppage(fear).

From “Stipe is gonna get KO’d” to “Stipe’s victory wasn’t satisfying enough”. Dude was fighting a killer in there..

From “Stipe is gonna get KO’d” to “Stipe’s victory wasn’t satisfying enough”. Dude was fighting a killer in there..

I know right?

He was fighting someone almost everybody was confidently predicting would sever his head and send it into orbit with one mighty punch, "because Stipe gets hit and if Francis lands ANYTHING it's over." Guess what? — he survived being hit, even if he got a mouse the size of a rat for his troubles.

He was fighting someone almost everybody said couldn't be controlled in the clinch, because if Overeem couldn't do it how could poor widdle Stipe? News flash—Francis couldn't do shit against him there.

He was fighting someone almost everybody said wouldn't be able to be taken down 'cause he was just too big and weighty for Stipe to handle, and if by some miracle Stipe managed a TD wouldn't stay down 'cause he was just so strong he'd stand up again. Hah. Hah. Hah.

He proved all those people wrong. Very wrong. Spectacularly, 50-44 wrong.

And NOW they want to dock him style points. Jeebus.

yeah, he clearly was trolling Dana. Choke was there and TKO was there but he wanted to lean lol.

He was fucking tired.

Even dominantly grappling a guy that huge is gonna wear you out. Expensing energy trying for a choke and risking putting himself on the bottom could have been a disaster.

I was really impressed by his performance.

Back