Stipe’s lay n pray strategy tonight

The UFC commentary team tonight were very adamant that Francis would rather eat shots from Stipe on top than have the guy continue to lay on top of him and hug him like that.

That’s a typically asinine statement from those guys. Neither is ideal, but I’m pretty sure most fighters would prefer not losing brain cells from taking direct shots.

Anyway I think lay n pray is a legitimate strategy against strikers. It’s an approach that was popularised by the great Arona.
lay & pray is what the dood on the bottom did

Lay n pray... at times, sure

But also masterful game planning and execution on dealing with a larger, more explosive, and dangerous opponent that has put everyone he's faced in the UFC away and damn near killed his last opponent.

It's MMA.

My point. He's defending the belt. That means defusing the opponent's strategy on the occasions when you cannot impose your own gameplan. He done did when he needed to, period.

The UFC commentary team tonight were very adamant that Francis would rather eat shots from Stipe on top than have the guy continue to lay on top of him and hug him like that.

That’s a typically asinine statement from those guys. Neither is ideal, but I’m pretty sure most fighters would prefer not losing brain cells from taking direct shots.

Anyway I think lay n pray is a legitimate strategy against strikers. It’s an approach that was popularised by the great Arona.

You can call it some of it lay and pray. But who fault is that? Francis and ufc. Give Francis credit for being strong and tough, but that is down fault as well. Everything you really shouldn’t do on the ground and get back up, he done it. Very amateur on his part. He didn’t use the cage help him get back up, don’t know enough on scrabbles and rolls to get out bad position and not burn unnecessary energy. Stipe beat and schooled him on basic fundamentals of wrestling.

Back