Still not sold on the 'Showtime Kick'

• Thread starter Deleted member 359865
  • Start date
Unrelated to the topic, but Bendo was one of the best wrestler that just couldn't keep his opponent down. I've always noticed that. Only Nate Diaz. But he just could never keep his opponents down for more than a scramble. He's like the strongest, weakest wrestler.

I'm talking about hisnufc career, of course. And I don't even know if this is fact, but I just picture him in this way.

You probably think this is fake too,right?

Anthony-Pettis-knee-off-fence.gif

Pettis looked incredible in that fight, and the fights around that period.

Really sad how he dropped off so fast.

Watch Magomedsharipov vs Santiago

@ 20 second he throws an off the cage kick as well. It’s not like it’s impossible to throw that.

Unrelated to the topic, but Bendo was one of the best wrestler that just couldn't keep his opponent down. I've always noticed that. Only Nate Diaz. But he just could never keep his opponents down for more than a scramble. He's like the strongest, weakest wrestler.

I'm talking about hisnufc career, of course. And I don't even know if this is fact, but I just picture him in this way.

Which fights are you referring to exactly? Because he maintained top control on plenty of people. The ones he couldn't with were usually scrambling wrestlers themselves.

#1: Benson didn't go out. If it was rigged he wouldn't keep fighting.

#2: It occured in the 5th round of a competitive fight both were clearly trying to win.

#3: Benson tapping foot against cage? He did that a few times throughout fight apparently to make feet less slippery.

#4: Pettis has thrown other moves off the cage like the knee to Cerrone.

Pettis also did a spin kick off the cage against Guida

Which fights are you referring to exactly? Because he maintained top control on plenty of people. The ones he couldn't with were usually scrambling wrestlers themselves.

It's probably because his entire UFC career was fighting scrambling wrestlers, besides Showitme, Nate, and someone else improbably forgetting.

Point being, I always picture him scrambling around the mat with opponents.

I don't think the Showtime Kick looks that impressive. This is what a proper kick should look like.

n_CKU5XySZZjma2hOuBvrsCeZlOFVwoukFsuNAkokTWZB-wuh9iBgALqdF-IRHLLTwRjgC_voDpDzQ4GJcDYx62z9206OMCYVePUYKHPzxX1yH25ZPhdgnpePtSeWA0=w400-h223-nc

It's probably because his entire UFC career was fighting scrambling wrestlers, besides Showitme, Nate, and someone else improbably forgetting.

Point being, I always picture him scrambling around the mat with opponents.

That's fair. Summarizes his fight with Guida to a tee.

I feel like he maintained top control on Miller and Bocek.

Can someone please give me a good reason for me to believe that kick wasn't a work. I'm asking for this because I think the move was incredible but the body language before still has me on the fence

UPDATE: after seeing the respectful explanations on here. I can honestly believe the kick wasn't a work. I just thought the whole thing was crazy and wanted to see the opinions out there so I could give myself more reasons to believe it. Kudos to Pettis

Wow. The old YT conspiracy theory.

Haven't seen that one since two minutes after the kick landed, way back in the ripe, old 2010 era.

That's fair. Summarizes his fight with Guida to a tee.

I feel like he maintained top control on Miller and Bocek.

Ah yeah the Miller fight was his best performance besides the Nate fight, imo. Isn't it crazy how the nate/Bendo fight Wasa legit 50/50 at the time after Nate whooped the crap out of cowboy.

I was having debates with my one MMA fan buddy, and he was fanboying Nate so hard. I kept telling him, bruh, Bendo's just gonna grapple him to death. Didn't expect him to beat him standing too.

You forgot pretty face! Lol!

I think the problem is not his striking it's his wrestling
Striking is too general. Kicks? Great. Boxing? Lacking

And like the other guy said, his jiu jitsu is pretty slick too but I like striking lol

Weird bump. I was expecting a good conspiracy theory here but all I get is a guy going "I dunno man it looked fixed to me"

Weird bump. I was expecting a good conspiracy theory here but all I get is a guy going "I dunno man it looked fixed to me"
The theory around it pretty much boiled down to "Benson put his foot on the fence to signal Anthony it was time for the kick".

It's crazy to think that Pettis, the guy that had one of the most viral kicks ever and was supposed to be the face of the LW division at one point in time, has loat to Clay Collard. What a world.

Can someone please give me a good reason for me to believe that kick wasn't a work. I'm asking for this because I think the move was incredible but the body language before still has me on the fence

UPDATE: after seeing the respectful explanations on here. I can honestly believe the kick wasn't a work. I just thought the whole thing was crazy and wanted to see the opinions out there so I could give myself more reasons to believe it. Kudos to Pettis
So Benson immediately bounced right back up and lost his title voluntarily?

The theory around it pretty much boiled down to "Benson put his foot on the fence to signal Anthony it was time for the kick".

It's crazy to think that Pettis, the guy that had one of the most viral kicks ever and was supposed to be the face of the LW division at one point in time, has loat to Clay Collard. What a world.
No it's not. It's called accumulated damage and mileage taking affect. There seems to be a 10 year window in MMA fighting and it doesn't matter who it is but after 10 years the fighter begins to regress.

I was actually there and I know Ben personally. He wouldn't ever through a fight. He is very competitive in anything he does. He is also very respectful and humble man.

I was actually there and I know Ben personally. He wouldn't ever through a fight. He is very competitive in anything he does. He is also very respectful and humble man.

me too. seeing that in person is for sure the mma moment that sticks out above all others

Back