Stigma against men in convertibles

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Any of you guys have a convertible? Ever encounter people that act like its weird for a man to own one? They claim its gay somehow.

I have a hardtop convertible for my backup car and I absolutely love it. I rarely ever see men driving convertible cars for some reason other than old men in corvettes.

Why is this? They are so liberating especially in a fast car.

England has more convertibles per head of population than any other country in the world.

That should tell you something.

You guys are dumb, what if you flip it and your grape pops all over some innocent bystander?

And for what? Because you are having a mid life crisis!?

England has more convertibles per head of population than any other country in the world.

That should tell you something.
That simply cant be a real statistic.

Can it?

convertibles are for hairdressers. But Spyders on the other hand, are manly and rugged icons of masculinity.
16735200539_e42ac29004_b.jpg

That simply cant be a real statistic.

Can it?

Totally is.

Real explanation is that the weather being that changeable, the few days of the year that are great are really really enjoyed by everyone.

Most other countries air con or ability to heat the car wins out. Here its never that hot or cold, just variable.

The best looking car I've ever seen was a karman Ghia convertible.

You guys probably think I have low standards but whatever. The heart wants what it wants.

1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-lhd.jpg

Growing up convertibles were universally acknowledged as being cool as shit. I never got the memo that they turned gay at any point.

Growing up convertibles were universally acknowledged as being cool as shit. I never got the memo that they turned gay at any point.
Yeah this is a newsflash to me as well. Now the thing about Corvettes being mild life crisis or retirement presents I get. Seems like I've just now started seeing younger people driving them in the last few years.

Yeah this is a newsflash to me as well. Now the thing about Corvettes being mild life crisis or retirement presents I get. Seems like I've just now started seeing younger people driving them in the last few years.

My dad just got his first Vette at the age of 65 LOL.

But I don't know that I've ever specifically thought of them as an older man's car. The latest model is a bad motherfucker! I just might kill a man to get a hold of one.

But I don't know that I've ever specifically thought of them as an older man's car. The latest model is a bad motherfucker! I just might kill a man to get a hold of one.
They are but they've always been too expensive for a younger man then completely impractical(only room for one other person, rides like hell to commute in) for a 30's-40's dad who's got some extra change but still needs something he can use so ergo for generations their customer base were the empty nester retirees who still wanted a kick ass car

just jealousy. most people are massive failures in life and super negative to successful people.

you can tell a lot about someone when you see how they interact around richer and successful people.

Think most men go for the motorcycle for the “freedom” feeling. I blame lack of garage space.

Never gave a shit about convertibles myself. And yeah, they can seem douchey. Just got one though, and I gotta say I care not what anyone thinks. It's fun to cruise with the top down. Plus I'm certain the number of folks who'd like to drive it vastly outnumber the haters.

<13>

Maybe it's judging me by what I'm driving that's douchey. Come at me, bro's.

giphy.webp

just jealousy. most people are massive failures in life and super negative to successful people.

you can tell a lot about someone when you see how they interact around richer and successful people.

I don't know if this applies directly to convertibles but I know a guy who talks shit anytime he sees a nice car. If he sees a Lambo going by for example, he'd grumble, "I bet that guy borrowed that car with his daddy's money." It just reeks of jealousy. I'm just like who gives a shit.

I bought a 2018 grand sport. I had people telling me it’s an old mans car before when I was deciding. Then they saw it. Metallic grey with black rims and red interior.

I’ve also had random people ask if I was going thru a midlife crisis(I am 28). I find the people who just assume that are slubby dudes who are generally older and just projecting are jealous.

When people ask me about my mpg I tell them it’s usually about 26-29 and if I want I can turn 4 cyclinders off to conserve more.

My pops bought a 66 corvette 2 Year’s before I bought mine, I enjoy cruising with him

I’ve also been able to fill in all my ta50 in my vet. Shit is cramped and hard to see outside but the rear cameras help with that

Edit: I’ve also been seeing much more from the Younger crowd driving corvettes as well.

Advice for anyone looking at corvettes to buy. Buy them from keblers in New Jersey even if you don’t live in the state they offer much better deals that other dealers cannot compete with I saved about 20g with them but had to pay a grand for them to ship it to my house

Last edited:
Back