Stiff/sore mid-back

tdluxon

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I woke up yesterday with a lot of stiffness and ache in my back, middle of the back, just below the shoulder blades.

I had done legs the day before, including some squats that were fairly heavy by my standards (not maxing or anything though).

Anyways, would that be an area that would likely be related to working out the day before? The ache is higher on the back than what I think of as being worked with squats but I'm no expert. Also, it feels a lot better today but still noticeable. Do I need to take any time off?

Listen to your body. But if it feels drastically better a day later, doesn't sound anything serious. Could have been a simple muscle knot or pull if you picked up the bar unevenly or it shifted and you had to correct it sorta deal.

Assuming you're talking back squat. Could have just went a bit too low on the back with the bar given your flexibility which could have caused a pinch in the area described.

Your back should be completely engaged when squatting. It is holding and stabilizing all that weight across your upper back afterall.

Do you foam roll?

Last edited:
Do some relaxed stretching for your lower back/hips or even better some yoga if you're familiar with it. These things do wonders,believe me.

I usually work through stiffness and this just sounds like DOMS. If I had upper back stiffness I'd start with some cardio and light lat pull downs. If that feels good I go on with my normal routine, maybe a little lighter if I was really concerned.

But I'm NO doctor so, take it at your own risk.

My low/mid back is always sore and stiff the day after deadlifts and sometimes it will be sore and stiff the day after squats, but it is mostly gone by the following day. It's more of a dull ache soreness than a sharp pain. I don't worry about it.

How old are you? I'm stiff/sore just about every day due to lifting.

If you're pinching your shoulder blades and engaging your traps as much as you should, this is normal

Back