StevieSparkZ Workout Logs

StevieSparkZ

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I started lifting back in March of 2015 after a long lay off. Here, I will be posting my workouts and thoughts. I would really like some critiques and even constructive criticism. My goals are to be able to do this long term and not get injured.

If you think about it, the people that stick to it and avoid injury become the strongest. No long layoffs and etc.

I've been wanting to start this since the last 2 months or so. Better late than never, hope to hear from all you Sherdoggers!

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 10th November 2015

Start time: ~11:15 AM (PST)

Happy 240th Birthday US Marine Corps! Slackin' on PT? UNSAT!

I had intended to do this workout yesterday on Monday, but I woke up and kept falling back asleep. Before I knew it, it was past noon. Don't you hate it when you do that? Waking up late just feels like a wasted day. Now Tuesday morning, I got up a bit after 10 AM. This is fine, I figure I'd eat and then warm up for a half hour and head to the gym.

Revisiting form for 315

About 3 months ago, I pulled 315 conventional dead lift. There are no mirrors by our power racks in my gym, so I wasn't really aware of my form. I actually thought my form was "ok" but now that I think about it, my hips were shooting up on my heavier sets. This lead to me feeling a tweaking in my lower back and I had to take a week or two off. It was horrible as you can imagine.

As I've reflected over the last month, it was even worse, below are the list of things as to why:

1) Not engaging my core - This is the primary reason for my lower back getting tweaked. Engaging your core protects your lower back. Looking back, this is absolutely horrible for me to neglect.
2) Not squeezing my lats - A better understanding of anatomy helped me realize this. Your lats run from the top of your humerus all the way down to your hip on it's respective side. In short, it covers your whole back. When you squeeze & engage them, they help keep everything tight. That's a big part to any of the big 3 lifts (any lift), staying tight for maximum transfer of power.
3) Hip shooting up - My setup was bad, which made my technique even worse. When a person's hips shoot up, I've gathered that it's usually from them being much stronger in the quadriceps or a bad setup. Due to my job of sitting 8 hrs+ a day, I've weakened my posterior chain thus exacerbating my quadriceps dominance issue. This is why I've started to incorporate a lot of posterior chain work (Hyperextensions, GHRs, glute bridges, barbell hip thrusts, and etc.)
4) Bar path too far - I see this a lot in the gym as well. When you setup incorrectly by being too far from the bar, not only does the weight get heavier, but you'll increase the chance of injury.
5) No leg drive or incorrect leg drive - My technique was just off, but if you don't include the legs you might as well just rack pull.
6) Tight lower back (Quads) - My lower back was tight due to my quads. Once I started a full mobility and stretching routine, the pain went away.

As you can see, I was just bad at the dead lift. I'm glad I can see this now, now with the right form and proper accessory work, I'll hit 405 by or before March 2016 (my 1 year lifting anniversary). That's my current goal and we'll see what happens, but I'm ecstatic about correcting everything.

The Workout

I missed 315 the first time because my grip gave out, right before the lockout, my right hand just opened too much and I had to dump the bar and get out the lifting straps. 275 felt as light as it ever has and I just knew 315 was mine. I didn't want to do a mixed grip at this time because when I do it with the right hand supinated, I get the awkward dull strain. Because of this, I cannot switch to keep the back from developing unevenly. I'll do some mobility work for it of course. Once I had the straps, 315 came up smooth as butter. No grinding!

It's like when Ed Coan asked Mark Bell at his gym, "You ever grab a bar and just KNOW you're gonna get it? Boy, that's the greatest feeling!" (paraphrased)

Yes it is Ed...yes it is........

** Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 4 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 295.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 315.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 315.0 lbs x 1 rep (had to bust out the lifting straps, but don't judge me cause your mom is probably a ho)

** Lat Pulldown **
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Lying Leg Curl Machine **
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Pendlay Row **
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 7 reps

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 8th December 2015

Start time: ~ 11:15AM (PST)

Day Late!?

O hai guise, I took an extra day off. Usually I dead lift Mondays and maybe Tuesday also but I wasn't feelin' it on Monday and also went to my other job first so it was a long work day. The good news is that I felt really good today. When I got to 275 it was moving really well, so I decided to do them for 3 reps after my first set. Needless to say, the other sets of 3 felt great.

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 315.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 315.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Hyperextensions **
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps

Friday October 16, 2015: Leg Day

Start time: ~2:00 PM (PST)

Goal(s): Work up to a heavy single or double on the traditional barbell back squat as well as front squat and then assess weaknesses. From there, I choose what accessory exercises I think are best.

Barbell Back Squat (7 sets):

45 lbs - 4 reps
135 lbs - 4 reps
185 lbs - 4 reps
225 lbs - 5 reps (PR Trophy Symbol)
275 lbs - 1 rep (PR Trophy Symbol)
225 lbs - 5 reps
225 lbs - 5 reps

After thoughts: I came in feeling a bit tired despite having two scoops of Optimum Nutrition's Blueberry Lemonade flavor (no sponsorship) and I love the taste. I've already built a good tolerance to caffeine anyways. I usually squat w/o shoes and today I tried to squat with my Nike Free Runs 5.0 (again no sponsorship) and it felt alright.

Once I got to 225 and above, I felt like I would lean forward after getting "out of the hole". Perhaps this is a posterior chain/core issue, see accessory work.

Barbell Front Squat (6 sets):

45 lbs - 3 reps
135 lbs - 3 reps (PR Trophy Symbol)
185 lbs - 2 reps (PR Trophy Symbol)

135 lbs - 2 reps
205 lbs - 1 rep (PR Trophy Symbol)
205 lbs - 1 rep

After thoughts: If I had to choose 1 squat to do only? It would be the barbell front squat, easy. Most people would not choose it, probably because most global gym go'ers don't even do it, but it's benefits are great. The weight is constantly pulling you forward, so you need a strong back to even unrack and hold it in the hole (work dat rectus abdominus). It's a great accessory for BOTH squats and deadlifts because of this alone.

On top of that, I always like to implement front squats because of the mobility that is required to perform them. You need proper thoracic extension at all times. If you hold it in the "front olympic position" (both hands shoulder width apart and palms up, your wrists and shoulders need to be very mobile as well. This "front olympic position" is also imo, a lot more stable than the "cross arms front rack" position. I also want to implement olympic lifts, therefore I would need a lot of mobility anyways.

Why the gap between the 3rd set and 4th set? Well, I felt like adding that to show that I switched to a FULL olympic lift. I typically have 3 fingers under but now I've placed all 5. Since I usually do 3 fingers, I dropped the weight down to get a feel for the whole hand. I'm happy to report I can do all 5.

Clean and Jerk PR, here I come!

Preface: Why did I choose these accessory exercises? In short, I have a desk job where I sit on my butt and have been sitting down for at least the past 3 years. I started lifting again in March 2015, so like many others who sit 40+ hours a week, I've developed some imbalances and weaknesses. Specifically in the hips and posterior chain. I begin with a machine that fires up the glutes and hams.

The hanging leg raise was chosen because I have a tendency to kind of "twitch forward" when coming out of the hole in the squat with heavier weights. I feel like this is a core weakness.

The GHR was chosen because of my lifestyle, plus when I hit heavy squats and deads, I have a lockout issue. This, I believe to be a glute/ham weakness.

The 4" deficit DL was chosen because the increased range of motion hits my posterior chain better.

Accessory Work

Glute Isolator, Precor Machine (3 sets):

30 lbs - 8 reps
40 lbs - 8 reps
50 lbs - 8 reps

After thoughts: This is just to get the mind muscle connection with the posterior chain. I just like this one and it looks like I am mule kicking backwards. You don't like it, please slap yourself.

Hanging Leg Raise (3 sets):

No added weight - 10 reps
No added weight - 15 reps
No added weight - 15 reps

After thoughts: I like this one a lot, I feel like it's gotten easier over the last few months to do. Core strength will increase my big 3 lifts.

GHR, Glute-Ham Raise (3 sets):

After thoughts: First time ever doing these, they are hard but damn I love em.

4" Deficit Conventional Deadlift (2 sets):

135 lbs - 5 reps (PR Trophy Symbol)
135 lbs - 5 reps

After thoughts: If I recall correctly, this is my 2nd time ever doing these on that wooden platform. The increased ROM (range of motion) hit the entire leg and I like the feels.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 11th November 2015

Start time: ~6:15 AM (PST)

Happy Veteran's Day 2015

Left work at 10 PM to help out at another job from midnight to 4 AM. I felt sharp still, not sleepy at all. I decided to power through to the gym and then sleep after. I mean, it's Veteran's Day and we're going to hit up "The O Garden" (Olive Garden) for some veteran's lunch. I texted "The Colonel" (another vet who was in the Corps as well) and I figured I'd be "motivated".

The "hierarchy" of bench pressing and close grip work

You will see a myriad of bench errors in every gym. It's the "BRO" exercise, when two guys talk about lifting, it usually gets to benching. Once there, one must declare one's place in the animal kingdom (gym) via bench class. So you either bench 2 plates or it's not worth mentioning (semi srs).

So onto the workout, I went HAM (no pork) on dead lifts the other day and will go for bench today with accessory work. I've been working on close grip bench for 85% - 90% of my bench work. The increased range of motion makes it harder and helps with keeping tight. It's not just in the squat and dead lift that you need to keep tight but the bench as well.

Get it tight get it right

I feel the tightness on the bench has allowed me to improve my technique. The tucked in shoulder blades at first will be VERY awkward and possibly uncomfortable. This is where a lot of people don't realize that over the long run, you're going to incur shoulder and rotator cuff damage. At this point, the ego kicks in and the exercise is blamed.

Now if I stay injury free, I'm going to be my strongest. The lifters that stay clear of injuries are going to have the most time to train and improve.

** Flat Barbell Bench Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Flat Barbell Bench (Pause) **
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 4 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Overhead Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Standing Rope Face Pull **
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Body Weight Dips **
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 11th December 2015

Start time: ~ 5 PM (PST)

Squat Everyday? Maybe.....

So I did sumo deads and accessory work on Monday and did nothing till today. I felt like it was needed and I'm taking a couple extra shifts at my 2nd job (I'm already at 48 hours a week at my main job) so the break was good. I'm going to put more volume in, gotta get that 225 squat up. Let's just set the goal at 15 reps for 225 ATG belt less!

** Barbell Squat **
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Barbell Front Squat **
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Hyperextensions **
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 20 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 110.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 85.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 17th October 2015

Start time: ~11 AM (PST)

I've been getting good sleep almost everyday accept this morning because I took my car in at 7:45 AM for my 35,000 mile service. I couldn't fall asleep until maybe 2 AM? I started yawning a bit on the first exercise.

Today is bench and it's accessories. I tried to do a decline bench because I never do that. It felt pretty good.

** Close Grip Barbell Bench Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Incline Barbell Bench Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Overhead Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps

I have to edit to give this exercise the credit it deserves and I think it can be the most beneficial if not one of for people who sit at a desk all day long. Hitting those rear delts and rotator cuff muscles (specifically infraspinatus) are a must for long term healthy shoulders.

** Decline Barbell Bench Press **
- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 12th November 2015

Start time: ~6:35 AM (PST)

Just Tired

Header says it all, I got off at 10 PM after sleeping just a couple hours the night before. I actually got home and power napped for maybe an hour or so. I couldn't go back to sleep so I powered through and decided to do a leg workout.

Nothing unusual, just hit some squats and did some accessory work for it after I felt the right muscles were activated.

I might take it easy in the coming days or next week and do some speed work. A lot of sets at maybe 1-3 rep range.

** Barbell Squat **
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Glute Bridge **
- 00:45
- 01:00
- 01:15

Just a quick single set with hook grip for the feels. It's cold here and it really hurts the thumbs but I'll keep at it.

Bend your thumb and tape up the last part of the thumb. Feels more solid, but it may still skin you.

FitNotes Workout - Monday 19th October 2015

Start time: ~11:50 AM (PST)

Today didn't feel that great, deadlifted with Chuck Taylor's for first time so that was good.
Attempted 315 for both sumo and conventional and did not get it.

Attempted GHR but couldn't do it, ordered bands on Amazon to use on the GHR next time. Decided to just do glute bridges and Romanian DL for accessory. I'll probably deadlift again tomorrow, a former co-worker suggested I try a deadlift of 5x3
@ 275 to get used to the heavier weight before 315 again so I'll do that.

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Deadlift **
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Glute Bridge **
- 00:20
- 00:25
- 00:30

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 45.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 13th November 2015

Start time: ~ 5:35 AM (PST)

Keeping It Early

I had decided to sleep on Thursday afternoon and I woke up at around 1:00 AM. This is good, now I can eat and then I have time to digest and warm up. I did some mobility and stretching at home. The lacrosse ball hurt like crazy at first, but now I'm getting used to it. Sitting on it to let it release on your piriformis is best kind of "good pain."

Close Grip and Tightness

The workout wasn't anything crazy. I didn't feel that strong on the bench but I felt okay. I'm gonna start doing more pause benches and I'm still primarily using the close grip. I always suggest the close grip for anyone, especially if you're starting out. It helps you keep tight and it protects the shoulders. Tightness is in the bench as well and it's very important to be tight in the LATS. The lats are not just for pull movements, but bench too.

Anyways, I knocked out this workout and then went to work. I am now off and tired as hell as I'm updating this. Good luck and thanks for reading.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 15 reps

** Seated OHP **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Leg Press **
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 13th December 2015

Start time: ~ 3PM (PST)

Tore Up From The Floor Up

The title says it all, I worked a 15 hour shift the day before on Saturday and a 13 hour shift before this workout. I felt hungry and my hips felt a bit beat up but I trained anyways. Man, it sucked. I missed 315 on both stances and felt crappy. Onto the next one though, I gotta live on that GHR. Bringing the posterior chain up will help tons.

On a lighter note, I didn't feel any soreness waking up the next day which is great. Dead lifts have always caused this bit of soreness in my spinal erectors. So I'm really happy about that one.

** DB Goblet Squats **
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 315.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 315.0 lbs x 0 rep

** Conventional Deadlift **
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 315.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 315.0 lbs x 0 rep

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 22nd October 2015

Start time: ~11:45 AM

Took 2 days off and wanted to come back strong. Waited for friend, was supposed to start at 10:30 AM but he showed a bit late. When he showed up, we started with a full shoulder/back warm up. Foam rolling into stretches and lacrosse ball trigger point release.

Good workout and tomorrow we shall squat.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 60.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 60.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 60.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Overhead Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 65.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Power Clean **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Suitcase Deadlift **
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 15 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 15th November 2015

Start time: ~ 4:30 PM (PST)

New Schedule = New Mindset & Energy

My work week starts on a Saturday and ends on Wednesday. It looks like this:

- Saturday & Sunday: 6 AM - 2 PM
- Monday - Wednesday: 2 PM - 10 PM

So between Sunday and Monday, I get 24 hrs off. Just finished my first Sat/Sun on that new early bird schedule and it's not so bad. I feel like a big boy now, I can stay up on a Sunday (dat grown man style yo) and then come in later on Monday. With that said, I felt great coming into the gym today. I had decided on dead lifts and some accessories. I'm still going to be pulling a lot more sumo style and some conventional as well. I think most people should as well if you are newer (~ 2yrs or less).

More Sumo More Volume

Let me start off by saying that I am aware of the memes and mindsets about sumo dead lifts. People will say it's not real dead lift because of the smaller range of motion compared to a conventional dead lift. The facts are that every power lifting federation recognizes sumo as an actual dead lift. That's all I'm going to say really.

Now I also want to say that I also was a "mild subscriber" to the school that thinks sumo is inferior to conventional due to the ROM. I started off with mostly conventional dead lifts for about 5 months (I started March 2015) and then I saw a YouTube video on Mark Bell's channel. It featured a big guy named "Matt Wenning" who looks like a brute and then you hear him speak.

Once you hear Wenning speak, there is no doubt that he is articulate and passionate about power lifting. He is working with the US military to help make them stronger. The video is 50 minutes and when I first saw that I figured I'd just watch some, but I watched it all the way through on the first go. Below is the video if you have time

[YT]HKwyBI2egOo[/YT]

Cliff Notes & Strong Points from Matt Wenning

Sumo dead lift portion begins around 12:06 FYI.

As I've mentioned earlier, I will be doing more sumo work because of Wenning in the above clip.

Why?

- Takes pressure off your lower back, Wenning does sumo 75% of the time in training but pulls conventional at meets (My lower back needs work so less pressure means I can put more volume on it later to build it).

- At the end, even for conventional, hips are the limiting factor (Sumo emphasizes more hip).

- Most new people's posterior chain is weak (Sumo also emphasizes posterior chain).

- Wenning does not teach new lifters how to conventional dead lift until they can sumo dead lift at least ~ 405 lbs (a bit more than 180 kg).

- Double over hand grip and sumo for new guys. Build that grip strength so it keeps the back even. Strong hands and a strong lower back means you can do quite a bit.

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 315.0 lbs x 1 rep (Mixed grip; left hand supinated & right hand pronated)
- 315.0 lbs x 1 rep (Mixed grip; left hand pronated & right hand supinated)

** Barbell Hip Thrust **
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Pendlay Row **
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps

** Stan Efferding BO Rows **
- 135.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 155.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Hyperextensions **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 30.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 85.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Precor T Bar Row **
- 45.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 7 reps

Bend your thumb and tape up the last part of the thumb. Feels more solid, but it may still skin you.

My fingers are too short, but I'm thinking of the tape thing. Do you happen to use that "KT tape" or any other kind you'd recommend?

Keep up the good work, do you have any goals (short, mid or long term) that you'd like to achieve?

FitNotes Workout - Monday 16th November 2015

Start time: ~ 10:40 AM (PST)

Tri's For The Guys? Curls For The Girls?

Today is bench day and I got up at a great time. Just a little bit after my alarm went off at 0930. I started with some water and a Quaker's Quinoa Bar I got from work. I never had it so I decided to take some home when they gave it. Not bad at all I thought, downed it while doing some mornin' mobility. As I do my standard band and SMR, I wonder, why is the bench the "bro exercise?" The squat and dead lift require more muscles....shoot.
When you squat it's more weight and you either come up or you don't....

In any case, I was watching Mark Bell's "Road to 606 bench" video. The music choice is amazing, see below for it:

[YT]wpgVyjQDbcU[/YT]

The workout felt good and I didn't really go too heavy. I didn't have a spotter so I decided to be conservative and put in more volume.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Body Weight Dips **
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps

My fingers are too short, but I'm thinking of the tape thing. Do you happen to use that "KT tape" or any other kind you'd recommend?

What do you mean your fingers are too short? I just use a regular athletic tape you can get at any pharmacy. I got mine for like a dollar. The hook grip just feels so much more solid with it.

FitNotes Workout - Friday 23rd October 2015

Start time: ~ 1 PM (PST)

I was really looking forward to my leg day today. Started using the GHR to really hit hamstrings and even though I could barely do them last time, I felt like I made some mind muscle connection. I felt as if I've discovered another muscle or weakness that would only aid in my big lifts.

Tommy Kono, who was the last great Olympic weightlifter, really emphasized developing the posterior chain. As an old co-worker who was a PT and physique competitor said, "90% of sports are quadricep dominant." The posterior chain is a huge weakness for many in the US. Look at our top 3 sports (baseball, basketball, football). It's not a coincidence.

Knowing that this is a huge weakness, we then have to pay attention to and develop this "seat of power."

For the next month or so, I'll focus a lot on accessories for the posterior chain.

** Barbell Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 205.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 10 sec hold (45 degree angle hold)
- 15 sec hold (45 degree angle hold)
- 20 sec hold (45 degree angle hold)
- 25 sec hold (45 degree angle hold)
- 10 reps

** Barbell Hip Thrust **
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps

Good job on the PR. Also, good choice of avatar. God bless Latinas.

FitNotes Workout - Monday 26th October 2015

Start time: ~12 PM

Late start as I had to be at work at about 2 PM. I felt a bit stiff, but I managed to put in some heavy triples. I wanted to do some GHRs but the handle to adjust the toe plate and ankle holder came off with the screw still in place. Screw it, had to go home and shower.

I'll do some posterior chain and back work tomorrow, maybe some dead lifts. Not sure, let's see how I feel tomorrow.

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 17th November 2015

Start time: ~ 6:30 AM (PST)

The Early Bird Gets The Worm

I went to bed at like 11:30 PM and I woke up at about 4:45AM. It's probably because I ate 5 slices of Round Table pizza at like 9PM at work. Regardless, I felt wide awake and very energetic. This calls for another Quinoa Quaker bar and an early trip to the gym. I do some mobility and stretching, now just FYI, I always do both. I start with the mobility via a foam roller. After that, I use a lacrosse ball. I was gonna dead lift again today so I rolled my glutes and then lacrosse ball'd them to death (dat hardness).

Disturbed - Droppin' Plates

When I got to the gym, I was pretty warm and the bar was racked w/o weights ready for me. I put on 45 bumpers for the 135 and I decided to drop it from head height. It's a bit loud and it's early. A personal trainer comes over and asks me to be more gentle with it. I then said, "oh I thought these were meant to be dropped." He then said, "yes they are but some of the folks at this time don't like it."

He was really considerate and I told him that I understood. It's a business after all and they have to cater to things like that. Most of the members in the morning are older folks. For me, dropping weights isn't very bothersome. I have a blue tooth wireless headset and I always have my music on my phone. On top of that, there's a case for it with heavy weights and of course Olympic lifting.

At night, they have cross fit classes and people drop weights like no tomorrow there. So just a habit from from training mostly in the PM.

The Workout & Dat Azz

Started with the hammer strength glute isolator machine. It's like a donkey kick, but you're standing and holding onto a pad and handles. I wanted to try something to activate the glutes because it's really hard for me to even feel those big sleeping giants in the back. I then tried some landmine twists to warm up and that felt great too.

I'm gonna start dead lifting twice a week now. I'm gonna emphasize sumo until I can sumo 405 and then we'll go from there. For those that follow me, you'll know that my last dead lift post included a video with power lifter Matt Wenning. Sumo will keep the pressure off your lower back and allow you to dead lift more. Wenning also said that the limiting factor for even seasoned lifters would be the hips anyways. So I'll pull conventional next dead lift session (probably Sun/Mon).

I've been feeling really good with the lock out as I engage my glutes more. My cue is now to squeeze my glutes together as soon as the bar comes to my knee. It really helps with the lock out and I feel the accessory work for the posterior chain is really starting to activate my glutes. Just hip into the bar hard at the top and squeeze those bad boys (dat azz).

Hook Grip Bro! Reverse Hypers on a GHR?

After the regular double over hand grip up to 275 with sumo deads, I decided to try hook grip. Man it feels like it's crushing your thumbs, Johnny Candito said in a video that it takes ~ 3 weeks to really feel a difference. I'm gonna continue to throw in hook grip deads as well. After that, I decided to hit some hamstring curls before going to the almighty GHR machine. They both felt great and with the band, I can do full glute ham raises! Can't wait till I don't need the band anymore, cause then my dead and squat will shoot up.

I also tried to do reverse hypers on the GHR and I know most gyms don't even have a GHR. I'd explain but I'll post a picture below.
Keep in mind that this machine is the GHR/GHD (Glute Ham Raise or Glute Ham Developer) and that this person to doing a REVERSE HYPER EXTENSION on it:

Kelly%201.preview.jpg

It felt good and I'll keep throwing those in as well. Hope everyone's doing well on their workouts and hittin' PR's because the holidays are right around the corner!

** Glute Isolator 618 (Precor Machine) **
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 40.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Landmine Twist **
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Sumo Deadlift (Hook Grip) **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Reverse Hypertension (On GHR) **
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

** 45° Hammer STR Row Machine **
- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps

Keep up the good work, do you have any goals (short, mid or long term) that you'd like to achieve?

I'd like to be able to put up 405 on the squat and dead lift by March 2016 as it will be 1 year anniversary of lifting.

As for the bench, I'd like to be able to put up 315. I can close grip bench 225 for 5 reps right now. I'll probably bench on Wednesday this week.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 18th November 2015

Start time: ~ 9:30 AM (PST)

2nd Bench Session of Week & Scary Moment

I got up and did my warm up and the different thing is dumb bell accessories. I felt pretty good with them but I had a quick scary moment. I was sitting on the bench and I bent down to pick up the 70 lb dumb bell. I felt my lower back tingle a bit and I stopped. This is what I felt when I tweaked my lower back pulling 315 the 2nd time a few months back.

I then engaged my core and picked it up w/o problems. In any case, I'm gonna incorporate some more dumb bell work again for bench accessory.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 205.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Flat Dumbbell Bench Press **
- 30.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 65.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Body Weight Dips **
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 6 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 12 reps

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 27th October 2015

Start time: ~ 11:30 AM

Felt pretty good today, came in ready to go. Did mobility and stretched.

Bench tomorrow.

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Pendlay Row **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Hyperextensions **
- 10 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 28th October 2015

Start time: ~11:30 AM

I didn't have a spotter today so I didn't do more sets of 225 on the flat barbell bench. For the last few weeks, I have been feeling a tingling feeling in my right forearm whenever I do the OHP. Today, I did not feel it. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with performing the OHP after incline bench?

I didn't incline bench today, but I'll incline bench next time before doing the OHP to make sure.

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Overhead Press **
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 20th November 2015

Start time: ~ 1:30 PM (PST)

Squats Squats Squats Squats Everybodyyyyyyyy

The good news is that I can do 10 clean GHR's with a band now for sets of (4). The bad news is that everything else sucked monster balls.

I warmed up decent and then I started. The 245 and 275 felt horrible as I wanted to do 3 reps of 245 and a double (2) for 275.

They both felt so heavy, I think it's because I did dead lifts twice and benched twice this week.

I've decided to throw back in leg presses for accessory. That's kind of good news as I did 10 plates for sets of 8, not sure if amazing.

All in all, not THAT disappointed but I think I might have a bit of "CNS burnout." Let's see how I feel next week.

** Barbell Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 110.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Leg Press **
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 270.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 360.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 450.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 450.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 30th October 2015

Start time: ~ 5:15 PM

Felt kind of beat up and didn't do as many reps on 275 as I did last week. It felt a lot heavier than last week, so I only did it once for a single.

I was able to do 225 on the front squat however as well as a lot more good quality reps on the GHR using a band. The app that I use forces you to enter a weight, so for body weight movements I just put in "0 or 1" to represent just body weight.

I HAVE to use a band or else I cannot do any quality reps. It's a very different feeling on the hamstrings. I've only ever felt my hamstrings the first time I did legs (which caused soreness for a week) and when I would cramp up in the hamstrings.

This is very new but I like it a lot as the posterior chain needs to be strengthened to get stronger in the big lifts and just overall wellness. Due to technology, sitting in front of a desk is horrible for one's posterior chain.

I gotta work 12 hours today starting in a few hours, so I might just take it easy on this Halloween.

** Barbell Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep (Weight PR)
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Glute-Ham Raise (Resistance band utilized) **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

** 4" Deficit Conventional Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps

FitNotes Workout - Monday 23rd November 2015

Start time: ~ 10:30 AM (PST)

Standard

Today wasn't anything too crazy. I'm just going to start using the lying leg curl machine for warm ups when I dead lift or squat. There is a decline where your legs are and that's great. I can feel my spine kinda decompress, not quite like a reverse hyper would be, but some kind of decompression none the less.
I'm writing this the morning after and I feel like hitting back and dead lifts again. Let's see how that goes!

(Warm Up)
- 60.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 60.0 lbs x 10 reps

- 75.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Pendlay Row **
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 10 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Hyperextensions **
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 15 reps

(Feels Good Mane)
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Monday 2nd November 2015

Felt kind of beat up on Saturday at work from squats, so I'm going to be doing a "deload" week. Did some back accessories on the Precor T-Bar Row machine and the "45 degree row machine" is a Hammer Strength machine. Both are loaded with plates. The Precor one has a pad that you place your torso on and it replicates a pseudo barbell row.

The 45 degree row machine, you sit down and have a pad in front of your torso. You grip handles that are below you in front of you at a 45 degree angle. I loaded up (4) plates at the 4th set but can only muster out 4 real reps.

As for the the last 2 exercises, they are for lower back and core. I feel that those 2 areas are rather weak for me. I believe these weaknesses to be the reason for me not being able to dead lift more than 3 plates. I've been stuck at that for about 1.5 - 2 months now.

As for the "1.0 lbs", all exercises that are for weight and reps force you to put something in the weights. Because of this I use "1.0 lbs" to represent that I just used my body and no additional weights. I'm going to be doing more posterior chain and core work and I want to see how my big lifts will go by the end of 2015. I have a good feeling about improving these areas especially the glutes.

Bret Contreras (The Glute Guy) called the glutes the "sleeping giants" in one of his articles. He's made a career on his specialty of developing that area. Because of Bret, I have started doing barbell hip thrusts, GHRs, glute bridges, and etc.

Gonna try to sleep earlier tonight so I can get up early and put in another session!

** Precor T-Bar Row **
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps

** 45 Degree Row Machine **
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 4 reps

** Hyperextensions **
(Feet were facing out 45 degrees outward for glute emphasis.)
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Tuesday 24th November 2015

Start time: ~ 10:10 AM (PST)

Back to Back for Back?

Decided to do two back days in a row as you can tell by my very clever title. My back is really weak and I intend to hit it really hard in the next upcoming months (along with my posterior chain). I felt pretty good pulling today and did some Romanian dead lifts. Took it slow and will add more weight next week to the RDLs.

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 2 reps

** Romanian Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 5 reps

** Lat Pulldown **
- 85.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 120.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Monday 2nd November 2015

Felt kind of beat up on Saturday at work from squats, so I'm going to be doing a "deload" week. Did some back accessories on the Precor T-Bar Row machine and the "45 degree row machine" is a Hammer Strength machine. Both are loaded with plates. The Precor one has a pad that you place your torso on and it replicates a pseudo barbell row.

The 45 degree row machine, you sit down and have a pad in front of your torso. You grip handles that are below you in front of you at a 45 degree angle. I loaded up (4) plates at the 4th set but can only muster out 4 real reps.

As for the the last 2 exercises, they are for lower back and core. I feel that those 2 areas are rather weak for me. I believe these weaknesses to be the reason for me not being able to dead lift more than 3 plates. I've been stuck at that for about 1.5 - 2 months now.

As for the "1.0 lbs", all exercises that are for weight and reps force you to put something in the weights. Because of this I use "1.0 lbs" to represent that I just used my body and no additional weights. I'm going to be doing more posterior chain and core work and I want to see how my big lifts will go by the end of 2015. I have a good feeling about improving these areas especially the glutes.

Bret Contreras (The Glute Guy) called the glutes the "sleeping giants" in one of his articles. He's made a career on his specialty of developing that area. Because of Bret, I have started doing barbell hip thrusts, GHRs, glute bridges, and etc.

Gonna try to sleep earlier tonight so I can get up early and put in another session!

** Precor T-Bar Row **
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 115.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps

** 45 Degree Row Machine **
- 35.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 4 reps

** Hyperextensions **
(Feet were facing out 45 degrees outward for glute emphasis.)
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 25.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

Did not sleep earlier this morning and did not even workout cause I'm deloading. I got a massage and then went to Subway. November 3, 2015 was this promo where you buy a footlong with a medium drink and you get a free footlong.

2 Italian BMT's FTW. But I'll try to sleep now and workout tomorrow morning.

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 26th November 2015

Start time: ~ 10:35 AM (PST)

Thanksgiving Push & 2 Plates (Of Food And Training)

2nd day of push workouts for the win and feeling good with it. Tomorrow is supposed to be a squat day and I might even try to squat Friday AND Saturday (Dat Black Friday Legs Yo). I'll try to double up next week as well, but let's see how tomorrow's leg workout goes.

Not So Popular Exercises

Decline barbell bench press definitely feels different, it's one of the least used piece of equipment in the gym next to GHRs. I know GHRs are popular in specialty gyms like powerlifting and cross fit, but doesn't doing things that you suck at make you stronger? The reason for me wanting to incorporate decline bench is because of the chest anatomy. If most muscle fibers of the pec major are in the lower region, then wouldn't throwing in some decline benching help out?

Let me know what you guys think and hope you all have a good Thanksgiving weekend.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 4 reps

** Body Weight Dips **
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 6 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Seated OHP **
- 95.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps

** Leg Press **
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 180.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 4th November 2015 (Deloading this week)

Start time: 10:30 AM (PST)

Decided to hit the posterior chain, stretched it out first and then moved into some squats cause it involves the PC. Finished off with GM's and GHR's, damn I can do a couple good reps of GHRs with the band, feels good man.

- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Barbell Squat **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

** Good Mornings **
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 27th November 2015

Start time: ~ 1:35 PM (PST)

African American Friday

I used to work at a major "big box" electronic retailer in 2006-2008 range. It was very fun and a good experience. The infamous "Black Friday" (BF) was even more fun imo. We would start at 5 AM and end at the new 1 hour later closing time of 10 PM and then after BF, it would be a 10 PM closing time until New Years or so. Despite the madness, everyone would bond through that 17 hour shift. You were glad it was over and you were happy the next pay day.

“The strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell.

Big Volume Day On The Year's Biggest Sale Day

It's my day off this week and I wanted to relax and really put in a lot more exercises. The squat really is the KING of exercises, because you've gotta come back up with that weight. Go into any commercial gym and you'll see the numbers of people doing them vs people NOT doing them. Then look at how many people bench compared to how many squat (we're not even going to play form police).

It's a damn hard but very beneficial exercise. So an homage to BF, I've decided to try Bulgarian split squats (BSS) and the goblet squats. I felt really good doing them at the end and will continue to use them. I was thinking of the leg press too, but I've been in the gym almost 2 hours and it was time to go. Now regarding the BSS, I found a T-Nation article of someone who did them because of an injury. I held 45 pound dumb bells in each hand and did sets of 10, so 5 each leg. I wasn't very feeling fully balanced so I didn't go any higher.

As for the goblet squats, they are definitely going to help boost both front and back squats. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll do them to start the leg workout. In any case, it's time to shower and eat.

Hope everyone goes HAM on some left over ham (oh lawls) and left overs.

** Barbell Back Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 4 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 110.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Hip Abductor Machine **
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Hip Adductor Machine **
- 70.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 80.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Bulgarian Split Squat **
- 25.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Goblet Squat (1 Dumbbell) **
- 60.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 60.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 75.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 5th November 2015 (Deloading this week)

Start time: ~ 7:45PM (PST)

Started with some land mine twists to activate core, never used the landmine before but it's great. I'm going to incorporate it into my work outs more.

I then moved onto the bench press and afterwards, I decided to do face pulls because those are great and I always do them on a back or chest day. The benefits encompass both pushing and pulling via shoulder/rotator cuff health. They are also the first accessory movement that I've really FELT a difference in my day to day life. I sit at work for (8) hours a day and since I've incorporated face pulls, I've almost forgotten that I had shoulder pains.

If you're still a bro about it, then look at it like this....The fact that your shoulders are going to be healthier and stronger will only help you bench and hit bigger numbers. The less pain and injury, the longer you can train.

I then moved into some hanging leg raises because I feel that I haven't done much work for them. The posterior chain is my focus right now but the midsection muscles are just on the other side. You lean on them as you descent on a heavy squat and you push off of them when you ascend on a heavy squat.

Damn, those decline crunches with strict form (don't pop your butt up) are no joke. I've been inactive and sitting too long....

Lastly, I decided to hit some power cleans. I did (4) singles of 135 and then decided to try 185 for the first time. I feel like I could've gotten it, but my lack of technique and experience won't allow it right now. I dropped down to 165 cause I wanted a power clean PR to end it. I missed that 3 times and then hit it on the 4th. You gotta fail to fix your leaks!

As the weight gets heavier on the power clean, you gotta stay tight for that max power transfer from the feet up. Olympic lifts are fun and very technical.

Just finished my PWO meal of brown rice and 2 eggs as I write this, feelin good. I plan to train tomorrow as well and will hit the posterior chain then.

** Landmine Twist **
- 45.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 7 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 225.0 lbs x 2 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Hanging Leg Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Decline Crunch **
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 10 reps

** Power Clean **
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 185.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 165.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 165.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 165.0 lbs x 0 rep
- 165.0 lbs x 1 rep (PR for the power clean woot)

FitNotes Workout - Monday 30th November 2015

Start time: ~11:45 PM (PST)

Co Worker Puttin' In Work

Trained with a co worker tonight right after our shift. I had him do my mobility and stretching and it went well. Rolled out and stretched lats as well as using a band on a post to mobilize hip. I had him perform a body squat before and after the warm up and the difference was night and day. Before, he can go parallel and after wards, he can almost ATG squat.

Upper Back Accessory Work

We started with some conventional and sumo dead lifts. Just a quick single set with hook grip for the feels. It's cold here and it really hurts the thumbs but I'll keep at it. My co worker will be going off to boot camp for the US Marine Corps sometime in March of 2016 or so.
For those unaware, pull ups are a huge deal for the Marine Corps PFT (Physical Fitness Test) that you have to partake in once a year.

I noticed that his upper back rounding was very much there, so we did some rowing and pull down type accessory work. I threw in some face pulls because shoulder health is paramount of course. We finished off with some GHRs, work the hams for the ma'ams. I had him use a resistance band and he was able to complete several clean GHRs.

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Sumo Deadlift (Hook Grip) **
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Pendlay Row **
- 135.0 lbs x 1 rep
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

** 45 Deg Hammer STR Single Lat Pulldwn **
- 45.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 90.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 70.0 lbs x 12 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise ** (No band assistance used!)
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps

I find that for power cleans it's better to accumulate some quality reps before attempting to go heavy at all. 135 to 185 is a big jump for a power movement, if 135 is comfortable then stick to that for lots of singles then go to doubles when you can handle it. When you have respectable form that's drilled in more, then is the time to test heavier weights.

Definitely better to do them towards the start of your sessions too.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 2nd December 2015

Start time: ~ 10:30 AM (PST)

Back to Back Bench This Week

Planning to bench twice this week and feeling good about it. Today I did smaller weight jumps on the bench. I feel really good with it as it allows me to really dial in on technique. Finished off with "1 arm tricep press downs" and it also felt good. Eric Spoto (raw bench press world record holder of 722 lbs) showed this accessory exercise to Mark Bell and Silent Mike when he came to super training. He did it as the last exercise and he stated, "I wanna leave the gym feeling like my arm is ripping out of my skin."

Sounds good mane, I'll do that too (no pain plz).

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 95.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 115.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 50.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 12 reps
- 50.0 lbs x 12 reps

** 1 Arm Tricep Press down **
- 30.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 30.0 lbs x 9 reps
- 30.0 lbs x 10 reps

I'm the same - I like his stuff. I have an office job too, & hip thrusts/GHR's have been a big help for me. I've been doing half reps with the GHR's, a resistance band is a good idea.

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 3rd December 2015

Start Time: ~ 11 AM (PST)

Nerve Pain and Incline Bench?

The bench portions felt good for me but something kind of bothered me today as I performed the dips. My right pinky felt some dull aching pain that weakened my grip when I performed the dips. Come to think of it, I feel like the incline bench sets that off, in one of my other bench workouts, I felt a similar pain when doing OHPs after the incline.

I'm gonna bring a lacrosse ball with me to bench day and roll out my forearms to see if that helps. Damn, late updates, it's leg day and I'm warming up for it as I type this.

Good luck and hope everyone's well.

- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 205.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps

- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 95.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 7 reps

** Body Weight Dips **
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps

FitNotes Workout - Friday 6th November 2015

Start time: ~6:30 AM (PST)

Angus beef burgers and insomnia like sleeping patterns FTL

Went to bed Thursday morning, it felt like forever. I get off at 10 PM every night (Thurs/Fri are my days off) and I just decided not to sleep that night on Wednesday and power through. I slept Thursday morning at about 5 AM or so. I woke up at like 6 PM or 7 PM (lol) and decided to start my day there. Before I knew it, it was 2 AM so I made a Safeway run and I picked up a couple of items. Initially, I went to Safeway because it's 24 hrs over here and I spilled some diet coke I had on my desk. I couldn't find a carpet stain remover so en route to the old Safeway it is.

I picked up a club card discounted carpet cleaner with a brush on top instead of a cap (dat marketing). However, I saw some grass fed Angus beef patties in a pack for a club card discount as well. I grabbed that and got some gourmet buns and this local sharp cheddar as well and yes they were club card discounted. I got home and ate all 4 patties. Initially was gonna do 2 and save the other 2, but I haven't had a cheat day in forever. On top of that, with everything on the news about meat, I've been reducing my consumption but I felt it was time for a mini feast.

Early workout feels & lower back pain magic?

My gym opens at 5 AM on week days and I decided to go because not only did I feel like a huge fatty but I felt strong for some reason as well. I've been feeling lower back pains and been reading up on that. I Google'd about lower back pains and found an article with something along the lines of "stretch your quads to see if your lower back pain is muscular."

To sum it up, the doctor/therapist over the years have had patient(s) come in and complain of lower back pains. After stretching the quads, a large number experienced a significant improvement in their lower back pains or have had the back pain completely go away. This would mean it IS muscular and NOT structural. So I tried it and lo and behold, I got up and it was almost like magic. The key is to stretch the quad but not in the "conventional" way.

People usually stand up and just grab their shin and pull the leg behind OR lay on their side before grabbing the shin, the first is wrong but the latter is half correct. You want to lay down on the side of the leg that is NOT being stretched. The non-stretching leg will also pop up like you're at the bottom of a squat. This hip flexion will make it a full stretch for the quad being stretched as it gains the last 10 or 20 degrees due to that hip flexion of the opposite leg. I'll provide a picture below, also note that you don't HAVE to lie down. You can do it upright, but I find that lying down is easier whereas the upright position requires you to do a quasi-single leg squat. I mean if your lower back hurts from tight quads, you probably have a weak core as well.

Lying down
313sidelyinghipflexor1.jpg

Upright
lizard-variation-c.jpg

I gotta share the above info because I think many can benefit from it.

Workout feels

I wasn't going to dead lift, but I felt really good for some reason. I then decided not to go over 225 because I am "deloading". However, I just felt really strong. So I threw on 225 and it felt easier than usual. I then decided to hit a single on 275 for both stances. Both went up relatively quick compared to the 275s in the past. I think the accessory work of GHRs is a huge factor in this. I felt like I could've hit 315 for both but decided not to. What you don't see is my rest times and I was at the power rack forever. It was like 45 mins before the accessories lol.

All done now, feeling really good, got some Jamba Juice and now it's time to shower.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed thanks for reading.

** Barbell Squat **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 1 rep

** Sumo Deadlift **
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 275.0 lbs x 1 rep

- 32.5 lbs x 12 reps
- 47.5 lbs x 12 reps
- 47.5 lbs x 12 reps

** Glute-Ham Raise **
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps
- 1.0 lbs x 8 reps

** Glute Bridge **
My back was actually on top of a stack of those step up Pilates plastic things where you can stack up the base. So it was more like a top of a barbell hip thrust hold bridge.
- 01:00
- 01:00 (20 lb warm up stick thing across hips)
- 00:45 (20 lb warm up stick thing across hips)

FitNotes Workout - Friday 4th December 2015

Start time: ~1 PM (PST)

Squat Everyday 4 Week Program?

Felt pretty slow starting today as it was a day off so I decided to lag before coming here. I did 8 sets of squats and felt like 245 was really heavy. I think I wanna start a squat everyday 4 week program that I saw recently. Will really help to dial in technique and that's where I can hit 315.

On a lighter note, I got a front squat PR by hitting 225 for a double.

** Barbell Squat **
- 45.0 lbs x 7 reps
- 135.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 225.0 lbs x 6 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 3 reps
- 245.0 lbs x 2 reps

- 45.0 lbs x 5 reps
- 185.0 lbs x 4 reps