Steven Spielberg Developing DC Comics Movie BLACKHAWK

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: April 17, 2018

Steven Spielberg Developing DC Comics Movie BLACKHAWK for Warner Bros.

zerv6MI.jpg

Steven Spielberg is jumping into the world of DC Comics. The iconic filmmaker is tackling his first DC Comics property, the World War II action-adventure hero Blackhawk.

Spielberg, along with his Amblin Entertainment, will produce Blackhawk for Warner Bros., and is developing it as a directing vehicle, the studio announced Tuesday. The move reteams him with the studio behind his latest tentpole, Ready Player One.

David Koepp, who has work with Spielberg writing blockbustersJurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds andIndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, is writing the script.

The material seems tailor-made for the filmmaker behind the Indiana Jones movies. Blackhawk told of an international squadron of heroic pilots led by a man named Blackhawk who fought the Nazis and their ilk in World War II.

The series debuted in 1941’s Military Comics No. 1,published originally by Quality Comics before DC acquired the property in 1956. Co-created by comic book legend Will Eisner, along with Bob Powell and Chuck Cuidera, the comic was one of the biggest sellers in the 1940s.

Spielberg will produce the film together with Kristie Macosko Krieger, under the Amblin Entertainment banner, while former studio executive Sue Kroll will executive produce under her Kroll & Co. Entertainment shingle.

“We are so proud to be the studio behind Steven Spielberg’s latest hit, and are thrilled to be working with him again on this new action adventure,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “We can’t wait to see what new ground he will break in introducing ‘Blackhawk’ to movie audiences worldwide.”

Spielberg is still on track to make Indiana Jones 5 his next movie and is still developing a remake of West Side Story for which he is trying to cast his leads. Player One has made over $476 million worldwide since its March 29 opening.

Steven Spielberg Tackling DC Comics Movie 'Blackhawk with David Koepp Writing the Script

zerv6MI.jpg

Steven Spielberg is jumping into the world of DC Comics. The iconic filmmaker is tackling his first DC Comics property, the World War II action-adventure hero Blackhawk.

Spielberg, along with his Amblin Entertainment, will produce Blackhawk for Warner Bros., and is developing it as a directing vehicle, the studio announced Tuesday. The move reteams him with the studio behind his latest tentpole, Ready Player One.

David Koepp, who has work with Spielberg writing blockbustersJurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds andIndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, is writing the script.

The material seems tailor-made for the filmmaker behind the Indiana Jones movies. Blackhawk told of an international squadron of heroic pilots led by a man named Blackhawk who fought the Nazis and their ilk in World War II.

The series debuted in 1941’s Military Comics No. 1,published originally by Quality Comics before DC acquired the property in 1956. Co-created by comic book legend Will Eisner, along with Bob Powell and Chuck Cuidera, the comic was one of the biggest sellers in the 1940s.

Spielberg will produce the film together with Kristie Macosko Krieger, under the Amblin Entertainment banner, while former studio executive Sue Kroll will executive produce under her Kroll & Co. Entertainment shingle.

“We are so proud to be the studio behind Steven Spielberg’s latest hit, and are thrilled to be working with him again on this new action adventure,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “We can’t wait to see what new ground he will break in introducing ‘Blackhawk’ to movie audiences worldwide.”

Spielberg is still on track to make Indiana Jones 5 his next movie and is still developing a remake of West Side Story for which he is trying to cast his leads. Player One has made over $476 million worldwide since its March 29 opening.

Steven Spielberg Tackling DC Comics Movie 'Blackhawk with David Koepp Writing the Script

They are also making a harley quinn movie

Warner bros and DCEU clearly dont give a chet and want a quick cash grab.

Maybe this wudda worked backed in the day with all the random super hero movies.

But these days you have an empire who clearly established the bread and butter for comic cinematics.

Only casuals will fall for this random super hero flicks but the real flow are the actual comic book fans that actually connect to properly developed characters from a developed cinmatic universe on screen

Comic book genre:

Well developed cinematic universe > random super hero flick

After the great steaming turd that was Crystal Skull, Spielberg directing this does not guarantee a hit.

Also, it's a C List(at best)character. I'm a Nerd and I've never heard of this guy.

Why do Studios even think about producing movies that don’t really have an audience?

Blackhawk? Never heard of it. I wouldn’t waste my money on watching it.

Why do Studios even think about producing movies that don’t really have an audience?

Blackhawk? Never heard of it. I wouldn’t waste my money on watching it.

Yea unless its an already established studio.

GOTG ive never heard of either, but id say most gave a chance like me because its connected to a developed universe.

Step inside my fucking office.

Apparently Señor Spielbergo's been interested in this since 82.

Last edited:
Say Blackhawk 10 times fast.

He's gonna CGI it all to hell. :cool:

zerv6MI.jpg

It's nice to see WB/DC take a chance on this little known character. I hope it's a stand alone
movie I don't think you always need to have it part of an universe.

Last edited:
This is not the way to counter Black Panther DC.

Never heard of this property. I guess it could be fun in a retro First Avenger kind of way.

But then Cap 1 and Agent Carter have worn that ground pretty well.

Blackhawk?
<FookIsThatGuy>

And the movie is going to be set during WW2? Wasn't Wonder Woman set during the same time period?

Back