Steve Earle says modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of black people'

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Steve Earle says modern country stars make 'hip hop for people who are afraid of black people'
'I like the new Kendrick Lamar album, so I'll just listen to that'
tumblr_inline_n75krwRWEZ1qjsg0u.gif

I saw a comment on social media via Joey, "You mean Florida Georgia Line singing about their Jordans and listening to Weezy isn't Country?"

67804830.jpg

God bless Steve Earle.

And fwiw, the problem isn't that good country/ folk/ hip-hop fushion is impossible, it's that the shit they play on country radio shure as hell isn't it.

Last edited:
I had to listen to some of that Georgia Florida Line song out of a morbid curiosity to see if Madmick was quoting it accurately. I couldn't hear anything but screams when I played it, my eyes just glazed over and I had this overwhelming desire for the Yellowstone supervolcano to wipe us out.

I had to listen to some of that Georgia Florida Line song out of a morbid curiosity to see if Madmick was quoting it accurately. I couldn't hear anything but screams when I played it, my eyes just glazed over and I had this overwhelming desire for the Yellowstone supervolcano to wipe us out.
Sweet Meteor of Death, ftw

https://twitter.com/smod4real?lang=en

He’s not wrong. That Maren Morris song that gets played every 10 mins on country stations could have been spun on a hip hop top 40 station and no one would have blinked an eye.

I've often said that hip-hop and country music are essentially the same. They both go on about their home turf (the hood and the farm), their rides (whatever they're driving these days vs the tractor or the pickup truck), their women (hood rats vs farm girls). Structurally, they're not all that different.

Thats how I feel when I hear that shit too. Florida Georgia line is some of the worst trash that has ever been recorded and I am baffled that anyone likes it at all

I love me some Steve Earle. “Goodbye” is a song that has been in my heart for 16+ years. I love that he’s not afraid to speak his mind.

Modern pop country is as manufactured and soul-less as it’s ever been, it just has a faux hip-hop flavor to it, because that’s what’s up.

If dubstep ever makes a comeback, there’ll be some jackass named Waylon Skrillex Smith, Jr. just dropping bass bombs while singing about beer and being a bad boy.

Back