Steroids-using guy in my gym- should I care?

i went to him as a friend and told him it wasnt moral for him

and he slapped me

PED use of various types is very common in the military. If it's a question of whether a fighting man wants better performance, or worse performance, well, it's a stupid question, especially if it's your friend's lives on the line.

PED use of various types is very common in the military. If it's a question of whether a fighting man wants better performance, or worse performance, well, it's a stupid question, especially if it's your friend's lives on the line.

It's really not. Not in my company at least.

It's really not. Not in my company at least.

We're you combat arms? I know in my experience they were much more likely to actually care or be concerned about that sort of thing, and the 'further along' you go, from rangers, to folks in special operations, real hooah types, the more so.

We're you combat arms? I know in my experience they were much more likely to actually care or be concerned about that sort of thing, and the 'further along' you go, from rangers, to folks in special operations, real hooah types, the more so.

Yeah, it's not common here. Could just be my company but that's my experience in the line.

That said I know the corps cant afford to even test for the stuff.

Yeah, it's not common here. Could just be my company but that's my experience in the line.

That said I know the corps cant afford to even test for the stuff.

Also depends on if you actually see it as a bad thing or not. Im personally for it, in principle anyways.

Last edited:
I mean, look at all the supremely technical blackheads who use steroids on the world stage.

giphy.gif

There's this dude in his mid/late 30s (or early 40s, can't tell) who's jacked af.

One time an Olympic wrestler was walking around with his shirt off and the guy made a comment about how he needs to talk to that guy to find out what "supplements/vitamins he's on".

I interpreted that to mean that he takes steroids (whether he meant to communicate that consciously or not).

He's much bigger than me but only weighs 10 lbs. more (I'm pretty fat and carry around a lot of water weight).

In sparring, he flips me over like it's nothing when I have him in side control and it's almost impossible to pull his arm out for an armbar when he's just literally squeezing his bicep.

Question is- should I care? At all?
slip some of these in his protein shakes every few days to cancel out the steroids
Screen shot 2018-01-22 at 8.10.06 PM.png

If you can't handle people juicing, this is the wrong sport.
This.

At least he's on your team.

I have competed against a few roided up dudes and trained with a few others and honestly it helped my technique in the long run.

This is definitely not the sport or hobby to get too bent out of shape about someone juiving or doing TRT or whatever.

Also if a guy is in his late 30's and beyond and he's just a hobbyist. Let's say he wants TRT just to improve his general health or to feel better. Is he suddenly not allowed to enjoy grappling/BJJ as a hobby because he chose to get TRT therapy?

I would argue that he's well within his right to take TRT and do this as a hobby.

If he enters a competition where it's prohibited then I guess technically he's a cheater but again this sport doesn't have many resources to combat against that behavior.

And some competitions/organizations don't even explicitly say PEDs are cheating.

There's this dude in his mid/late 30s (or early 40s, can't tell) who's jacked af.

One time an Olympic wrestler was walking around with his shirt off and the guy made a comment about how he needs to talk to that guy to find out what "supplements/vitamins he's on".

I interpreted that to mean that he takes steroids (whether he meant to communicate that consciously or not).

He's much bigger than me but only weighs 10 lbs. more (I'm pretty fat and carry around a lot of water weight).

In sparring, he flips me over like it's nothing when I have him in side control and it's almost impossible to pull his arm out for an armbar when he's just literally squeezing his bicep.

Come man we all know if you have money like him you would take that shit just like him. Fuck him and his steroids in other hand it's is better then be alcoholic and not training at all

If you are getting him in position to arm bar him, but he just rips it out that probably means his technique is not too far advanced from you. Just keep working. For someone who has to use steroids, it will absolutely deflate them when some chubby guy kicks their ass.

If you can dead lift and squat 3 times a week. Not even that have. And when you arm bar him make sure your arm that catches his, catch it at his wrist not his elbow . If you do that and are deadlifting and squatting his not pulling out of shit and if he's that jacked he probably can't even go to 180 degrees.

Keep training use it as motivation

Come man we all know if you have money like him you would take that shit just like him.

Are roids expensive in the USA? Where I live as far as I know they are pretty cheap (like being roided out all year seems cheaper than training at say AOJ).

I've choked the fuck out of more than one gear head in competition. It doesn't make your carotid arteries any stronger.

It's certainly frustrating to train with people who you know have an unfair advantage, but what you find out over time is that A. it's pretty hard to sustain big gains and train BJJ seriously so a lot of those guys quit pretty fast since they tend to more focused on aesthetics than martial arts and B. brute strength is not anywhere close to the most useful physical attribute for jiu jitsu. Most professional grapplers who juice don't do it to get huge (it's a weight class sport after all), they do it to train more and recover from injuries more quickly. Chances are the really good grapplers you may have rolled with who are on the gear you have no idea, because they don't look like body builders. They look like Rafa Mendes. You'll get the occasional guy like Leandro Lo or Pablo Popovich who carry a ton of lean muscle while also training all the time, but that's the exception rather than the rule. The great champions in BJJ were most likely all using at some point in time, but guys like Marcelo and Roger were never hugely muscular. Overall I wouldn't worry about it, it's a part of every sport and generally speaking it doesn't convey nearly the edge people think it does (at least among amateurs. For pros, small difference in strength, endurance, and ability to train more matter a great deal but that's the tip of the pyramid and not very relevant to you and I).

PED use of various types is very common in the military. If it's a question of whether a fighting man wants better performance, or worse performance, well, it's a stupid

question, especially if it's your friend's lives on the line.

it was a joke

This thread is hilarious. Pure gold.

Are roids expensive in the USA? Where I live as far as I know they are pretty cheap (like being roided out all year seems cheaper than training at say AOJ).
WOW. Just like alcohol then soon all kids will take steroids. Not good. But in this world lot a things are going in wrong direction

You can kinda tell who the users are in this post from some of the responses lulz
Fuck your steroids you pussies.

I've never given a shit what other people put in their body. Now you get to feel super awesome of your skillz when you finally tap your "roid head. If you really feel it's as much as an advantage as you do then you aren't doing everything to get better if you don't try juice for yourself. I had a teammate one time tell me " blaming others for your own short comings is the sign of a true pussy".

You can kinda tell who the users are in this post from some of the responses lulz
Fuck your steroids you pussies.

It's easier to tell who doesn't use and doesn't know that people in their life do, because they are spouting ridiculous stereotypes about roid rage, dangers of rolling with users, etc.

Snitches get stitches
<NightKingBringIt>

Back