Stepping big with the lead leg

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Is there any utility to this? I’ve noticed that in MMA range if I step bigger/higher with my lead leg I’m able to cover more distance faster. Like normally we are at a certain range, but I pull of this step and am able to catch them off guard. Especially with something like a cross or 1-2

Getting my feet there first instead of leaning too forward with my head helps me keep my balance too. I wonder if it’s too overzealous for more advanced counter punchers though, especially in sports like boxing.

One drawback I see besides obviously maybe stepping too big and getting countered is that it requires kind of a wide stance. Makes you very vulnerable to low kicks

Last edited:
The low kick is the drawback I see. but I learned a long time ago that if something works well against alot of people for you then keep it in your arsenal. When I started thiboxing my kru timed my longer step boxing style jab and hit me with a inside leg kick everytime. Untill I quit doing it. Then.... As I progressed I realized I could switch back and use traditional boxing footwork when I had him cornered and covering, or if he was moving... Use it, but don't live and die by it..

I think in mma a more aggressive style of movement makes sense because mma fighters tend to slide away from pressure as a first measure of defense.

If you’re fighting a striker then you can come forward like you’re talking about here. I’d be more concerned with getting tricked and drawn in against a good wrestler

I think in mma a more aggressive style of movement makes sense because mma fighters tend to slide away from pressure as a first measure of defense.

If you’re fighting a striker then you can come forward like you’re talking about here. I’d be more concerned with getting tricked and drawn in against a good wrestler
Yeah that makes sense. I’ve been playing with it and another drawback is that exploding in like that takes a lot of energy too

Back