Stephen Thompson expects Tyron Woodley trilogy: ‘The fans know I can beat him’

"I feel I can go out there and I know I can beat him. I mean just in the last two fights, I know if I put forth just a little bit more effort and actually go out there and just do what I know I can do, just fight, you know, I know I can beat him. I know I can do it. And the fans do too. Of course, you’re out there being cautious, but sometimes you gotta grit your teeth, bite down on that mouthpiece and go. And I didn’t do that in the last fight. And that’s something that I know if I go out there and do, then I’ll ended up winning. But the fight happened twice and I’ll fight who I gotta fight next and we’ll do it again.”

I dont think you can nor do i wanna see you fight him again lol

I think UFC wanted to see him as a WW champion and that's why he got rematch straight away.

But no Tyron will win again. He needs to move up and fight at MW.

Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice shame on me

Fuck off wonderbread

I think Thompson is wrong about what fans think, but regardless it seems clear that Wonderboy himself doesn't think he can beat Woodley in a fight. His strategy was stalling and tying to make sure as little actually fighting as possible took place, and then hoping he got the nod.

Last edited:
I thought Wonderboy very narrowly won both fights by the judging criteria, but I don't think he'll get another shot for a long time, and I have no sympathy really, the fact that he said "if I had put in more effort" is a good enough reason for him to never get another shot, point fighting doesn't deserve to be rewarded, it was like the striking equivalent of lay and pray.

Tyron did nothing for 20 minutes so he deserves no credit either in my opinion.
Who else is in line besides the Maia vs Masvidal winner? Like it or not one big win could easily get him another title shot. Let's say they put him up against Robbie Lawler and he wins in impressive fashion. After the Maia Masvidal winner who else would be ahead of Wonderboy for a title shot? GSP?

These two just don't bring out the best of each other, I think most fans are pretty much over this matchup.

This guy fought Woodley for an hour and played it super safe the whole time.

Woodley should be fighting Maia.

"I feel I can go out there and I know I can beat him. I mean just in the last two fights, I know if I put forth just a little bit more effort and actually go out there and just do what I know I can do, just fight, you know, I know I can beat him. I know I can do it. And the fans do too. Of course, you’re out there being cautious, but sometimes you gotta grit your teeth, bite down on that mouthpiece and go. And I didn’t do that in the last fight. And that’s something that I know if I go out there and do, then I’ll ended up winning. But the fight happened twice and I’ll fight who I gotta fight next and we’ll do it again.”

I dont think you can nor do i wanna see you fight him again lol

I think I can, I think I can ...

You blew it Stephen. Twice. Go sit down.

Thompson & Woodley both, should give us a greater appreciation for fighters who aren't tentative with their offense. For all the Conor drama outside the ring, that's a fighter who never disappoints.

I think Thompson is wrong about what fans think, but regardless it seems cleat that Wonderboy doesn't think he can beat Woodley in a fight. His strategy was stalling and tying to make sure as little actually fighting as possible took place, and then hoping he got the nod.
At least he actually somewhat stuck to his gameplan rather than standing with his back against the cage the whole fight like a scared little bitch.

At least he actually somewhat stuck to his gameplan rather than standing with his back against the cage the whole fight like a scared little bitch.

I don't think Woodley was scared at all, nor do I think he is a little bitch. It's really a dumb comment. Thompson's better footwork paralyzed Woodley, because he was out of striking and shooting range most of the time, but it didn't intimidate him. Thompson did seem scared to me, and for good reason apparently.

If you are trying to say Woodley's performance wasn't good, I certainly agree. But it was inarguably better than Thompson's as a whole.

Get in the back of the line Wonderbread.

You've had more so of an opportunity than most fighters ever will and used it to stare at TWood for ten god damn rounds.

The fact that he said this is kind of irritating from a fans perspective.

Last edited:
False hope

...and no, the fans don't want to sit through another sec of that shitty shot

No thanks not interested in seeing another fight with you 2.

First was a draw and second was a win for Wboy in my book.

To gun shy from him and Woodley was scared to do anything just waiting while pushed back in the cage and he refused to fight for 23 minutes.. to bad Wboy didn't have the presence of mind to score a few more points so to not get robbed or in that final round not get caught by that flurry.. whatever what can you do both of them lost stock in that night.

Of course he could since their two fights were extremely close. However, since they were also uneventful he cant expect the fans to support a third fight. Besides, its not like Woodley is prime Anderson, knocking off contenders left and right and everyone is wondering "who can beat this guy?". Rather Woodley is an unproven champion who many feel isnt good enough to keep the belt for a very long time. He shouls fight different contenders in order to prove himself.

We had two chances and failed to do what got him there.. throw. It's Maia's turn.

I don't think Woodley was scared at all, nor do I think he is a little bitch. It's really a dumb comment. Thompson's better footwork paralyzed Woodley, because he was out of striking and shooting range most of the time, but it didn't intimidate him. Thompson did seem scared to me, and for good reason apparently.

If you are trying to say Woodley's performance wasn't good, I certainly agree. But it was inarguably better than Thompson's as a whole.
Considering Thompson pretty much executed his gameplan perfectly other than being a bit too hesitant and Woodley did the exact opposite of his gameplan how can you say Woodley performed better? Woodley's gameplan was to constantly be the aggressor, hurt Wonderboy bad early on and take him down as much as possible.

Considering Thompson pretty much executed his gameplan perfectly other than being a bit too hesitant and Woodley did the exact opposite of his gameplan how can you say Woodley performed better?

Because Woodley damned near knocked him out three different times over the two fights, while Thompson landed very little of significance.

No 1 wants to see that, and No, Wonderboy cant beat Him. For what its worth, Woodley has His #

Back