Stephen King's The Shining (1997 mini-series, not the movie)

I haven't seen the 1997 miniseries since 1997. I did buy it on DVD just for the hell of it though so I have it sitting on my shelf. I may check it out here just to see if it holds up or if it's at all enjoyable.

btw, Kubrick's Shining > King's book

I always liked the Langoliers TV movie. I always found it to be suspenseful. Yeah, the effects suck but it didn't ruin the overall movie for me.

I haven't seen the 1997 miniseries since 1997. I did buy it on DVD just for the hell of it though so I have it sitting on my shelf. I may check it out here just to see if it holds up or if it's at all enjoyable.

btw, Kubrick's Shining > King's book

You should give it another look and let us know what you think.

Pretty sure @Madmick, @scorpipede and @breadfighter are gonna want to walk down this memory lane.

I always liked the Langoliers TV movie. I always found it to be suspenseful. Yeah, the effects suck but it didn't ruin the overall movie for me.

As Adamant said, I already mentioned that I thought the effects looked like garbage, but sometimes the concept of something is enough to keep me invested. I know that's not the case for everyone.

Shining_Screenshot_001.jpg

I know a lot of you saw my Storm of the Century thread a few days ago. Well I decided to continue my journey through 90s-era Stephen King mini-series, and over the last few nights I watched the 1997 adaptation of The Shining.

Immediately I'll go ahead and say that comparisons to Kubrick's film are inevitable. And it cannot stand up to that version, at all. In fact, it's not even especially good. But with that said, I also didn't that it was completely without merit.

One interesting thing to note is that Stephen King himself wrote the screenplay and he wanted to have this version made specifically because of the issues he had with Kubrick's film. As I'm sure many of you know, he hated Kubrick's film.

According to Wikipedia:

webercrzy.jpg

Having read about half of the book, one thing I can definitely confirm is that the mini-series stays MUCH closer to the book than Kubrick's version did. Much closer.

On the upside, I thought that Steven Weber did a pretty good job as Jack. While the sets for the Overlook do in fact look like sets, they look like nice sets. And Rebecca De Mornay is obviously WAY more good looking than Shelly Duvall.

tumblr_otbz65rToX1rf1yd3o1_500.jpg

On the downside, the film moves at a pretty slow pace, when the supernatural shit finally kicks into gear it's not actually very frightening, and the kid who plays Danny is barely even passable in the role. I don't like to be too hard to child actors--they're just children, after all--but there was a lot about his performance to NOT like unfortunately.

The bottom line is that The Shining is no Storm of the Century. Whereas I found Storm of the Century to be a hell of a lot of fun, I found The Shining to be only decent entertainment but never anything more than that.

6/10

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

I watched this back when it originally aired. I could never get passed how the goofy brother from Wings was supposed to be this imposing, frightening figure.

I watched this back when it originally aired. I could never get passed how the goofy brother from Wings was supposed to be this imposing, frightening figure.

I actually thought he did a good job and showed that Steven Weber could be more than just "the goofy brother from Wings."

Perhaps I'm in the minority--I don't know, I haven't heard a lot of people comment on her--but I didn't find Shelley Duvall's Wendy to be irritating. I just found her to be a very meek person, but one who found some strength near the end to survive and save her son. While perhaps overly submissive, she seemed like a loving and caring wife and mother.

the book touches on her character being this way. she had major mommy issues. her mother blamed her in a sense for her failed marriage to her father. there were several times she contemplated leaving jack before they even went to the hotel, and even while they were there. and as bad as her situation was at times with jack, and at the hotel, she decided she was better off staying rather than returning to her mom. it had a huge impact on her parenting, and although it really wasnt implied in the film, jack was danny's favorite and she kind of resented it.

Pile of shit. Cheesy, awful shit.

Kubrick made the real (better) version, and King couldn't stand it so he had to inflict this shit on us

I thought it was a pretty weak production, which I guess you should expect from the Sci-Fi (now Scyfy) channel in 1997.

It actually aired on ABC originally. Sci-Fi got the reruns

I couldn't wrap my head around the casting of Steven Weber as Jack Torrance.

Steven Fucking Weber.

Did you not think he actually did a good job, though?

Honestly, I don't remember as it's been 20 years since I saw it. I remember being very excited at the prospect of a miniseries that kept closer to the novel --which I loved-- and being very disappointed. The Kubrick version is one of my all-time favorites and I guess I assumed that this would be somewhat good. Maybe not Kubrick-level perfection, but maybe at least as good as Pet Sematary or Children of the Corn.

Honestly, I don't remember as it's been 20 years since I saw it. I remember being very excited at the prospect of a miniseries that kept closer to the novel --which I loved-- and being very disappointed. The Kubrick version is one of my all-time favorites and I guess I assumed that this would be somewhat good. Maybe not Kubrick-level perfection, but maybe at least as good as Pet Sematary or Children of the Corn.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that it wasn't an R-rated theatrical film (like Sematary and Corn), but a made-for-TV mini-series that aired on ABC. I have to say I feel like that should've tempered your expectations.

Pile of shit. Cheesy, awful shit.

Kubrick made the real (better) version, and King couldn't stand it so he had to inflict this shit on us

How do you think you'd feel about it if there had never been a Kubrick version? Do you think you'd still be so harsh?

How do you think you'd feel about it if there had never been a Kubrick version? Do you think you'd still be so harsh?

No, I would still hate it. It just would be an irrelevant piece of hacky work to me, instead of an irrelevant piece of hacky work that happens to be a TV remake of the greatest horror movie of all time.

I like King, but the best adaptations of his work seem to happen when he has the least control over them.

No, I would still hate it. It just would be an irrelevant piece of hacky work to me, instead of an irrelevant piece of hacky work that happens to be a TV remake of the greatest horror movie of all time.

I like King, but the best adaptations of his work seem to happen when he has the least control over them.

Remind me, did you see Storm of the Century?

I don't remember the mini series, but I remember hating the movie as well. I was a huge fan of king's books when I was a teen and was excited to see that movie. I remember being really, really disappointed though. I haven't seen it in over 20 years though, so maybe I should give it a look (and the mini series for that matter)

King wrote it directly for the screen. It originally aired in '99 but I have to say that when I watched it a week ago I had a lot of fun with it. I thought it was quite good and at least a few notches above The Shining.

It was still made for network TV and has the kinds of limitations that come with that, but I think it's a good example of a King story that is filmed exactly as he wrote it that really works.

Back