Stem Cells or PRP on torn shoulder Labrum. Does it work?

KickWith3rdLeg

You smoke this **** to escape reality?
@purple
Reaction score
I had my shoulder repaired 10 years ago via traditional outpatient surgery for a labrial tear from a combination of football and grappling related wear & tear. 10 years later and almost being 30 I feel as though I’m back where I’m started in regards to being uncomfortable and having my shoulder feel unstable. I do weight training and light muy Thai, but I stopped grappling all together after the surgery.

I’m about to start the process of getting my shoulder fixed again, with an MRI this coming Thursday. The conventional surgery was of course a slow 6-month recovery. Just wondering if it is worth looking into stem cells or prp for this procedure. I’ve talked to two orthopedic surgeons that are friends of mine and said to save my money and time because it won’t work. I’m not questioning their opinion, but I wouldn’t expect them to easily recommend a procedure outside what they perform for this kind of injury.

If anyone has any experience or info with Stem cells or prp treatment please share! Greatly appreciated!

Joe Rogan seems pretty impressed with the results from stem cell treatment. He brings it up a lot on his podcast. Might even be for a shoulder injury. YMMV, of course.

there doesnt seem to be much literature specifically about stem cell injections for labral tears.

There is some literature on the use of platelet rich plasma.

in particular, you can look here:

a 2009 presentation in which an ortho describes accelerated healing and reduced pain in SLAP (superior labral tears from anterior to posterior) repairs that were augmented with PRP. Important to note that this is AUGMENTATION to surgery, and not PRP treatment alone.

from a very brief search of scholarly publications for either prp or stem cell injections as it relates to labral tears, there seems to be little evidence that either treatment alone would be beneficial.

I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, but this stem cell stuff seems fascinating. Not just here, but in helping people with paralysis and stuff like that, too.

I hope it develops while I'm still young enough to benefit, ha.

Application of PRP is so far mainly used for augmentation to surgery (as @BJ@LW&WW already said) and therapy of arthritis and low-severity sports injuries (sprained ankles, tendon issues, etc.). The way you describe your shoulder issue, PRP as a standalone therapy probably wouldn't be the right way of addressing the problem.

Have you considered talking to a physiotherapists? I feel like you could get a lot of improvement without surgery, as there seems to be no acute cause of shoulder instability beyond a past surgery. In conjuction with PT, PRP (and probably stem cells, but I have no experience with them) could now be a viable option.

Both my orthos say it doesn’t work

I've had bpc 157 that didn't work, I think it's delicate stuff.

Had some 159 which was like voodoo magic.

Gonna try the TB500 soon

Love all that shit.

I've had bpc 157 that didn't work, I think it's delicate stuff.

Had some 159 which was like voodoo magic.

Gonna try the TB500 soon

Love all that shit.
Are you injured?

Are you injured?

I am currently rehabing patella tendonitis. Played through it for a couple of years and am trying to get on top of it now. Not doing squats or deadlifts is killing me.

Various aches and pains but that's the one that's putting paid to normal function.

PRP has been studied extensively and has been shown to have benefit in the treatment of osteoarthritis and articular cartilage of the knee. I'm unaware of any applications for the shoulder.

Re: Stem cells.

Oh fuck me, another "I heard this on Joe Rogan" load of horseshit. Companies like Blue Rock and Viacyte spend billions with molecular biologists studying cell signalling. progenators, and growth factors, while screening 1000s of donors for a super donor (a person whose stem cells will grow in just about anyone) with just a little success. How people believe that a doctor in Las Vegas has figured it all out in his small office just boggles my mind. Bro' science at it's finest.

AFAIK autologous stem cell transplants (that means using your own stem cells) for multiple myeloma is the only stem cell therapy that works. And even then something like 20% of the people undergoing this procedure die.

I work at a clinic in Jupiter Florida called NovaGenix Where we do regenerative medicine to help injured patients, and have worked with at least a dozen UFC fighters. Both work. PRP has helped out tons of athletes. We perform both PRP and umbilical stem cell treatments and see patients heal faster In not just injuries to their knees, but elbows, wrists, ankles, necks, backs, shoulders, hips and more. Typically the stem cell treatments are reserved for individuals Who are older and his platelets are sluggish. A healthy 25-year-old will heal much faster than a 75-year-old so they may choose to add stem cells to help the process move along. Typically in the BJJ and MMA athletes, what we see in terms of success rates with PRP is fairly remarkable.

Tb500 will sort it out
This.

Stack with BPC 157 too if you want an even speedier recovery.

It's been 10 years since TS has injured/operated on his shoulder, I don't think TB or BPC are going to sort anything at this point. He just needs to strengthen that area properly.

If he gets surgery again they would be helpful at that point.

@KickWith3rdLeg what have you been doing in the mean time to remedy the situation as far as weightlifting is concerned?

Is it true that combining growth hormone with PRP injections helps maximize results?

That's what Cro Cop got.

I have a hip labral tear that I got 18 years ago. It's been bothering me for 18 years. I'm thinking in the future when PRP or stem cell therapy are covered by insurance that I will give it a try in my hip.

I am 36...hopefully not too old for PRP to be effective.

Back