Staying motivated

Scott Parker 27

Your Mom's Box
@Brown
Reaction score
How do you guys stay motivated to continue going to the gym banging it out every couple of days? I used to lift a lot, have always been naturally strong and was at one point putting up 475 lbs. Having twins and two shoulder surgeries has left me feeling lethargic about going to the gym regularly. I'm not going to lie, when I was lifting like a madman and had my shit together, I had some "supplements" to help me along.
How do you guys stay motivated, and if you do fall off the wagon of working out, what helps you back on?
EDIT: Also I'm 39 so I don't see the returns quickly from lifting like I used to.

Last edited:
Making things a habit should help. Just go until it becomes a part of your routine then it will seem natural.

Nothing fancy, just on the bench. I would put in about an hour everyday, but bench was a big part of my routine.
Stop lying, no one benches more than

teh
275.JPG

You just get back into it, family and more responsibilities obviously take priority and it does take alot out of you. My guess is that if you're really committed, you'll dig deep make time for the gym. After about 2-3 weeks in, it'll be routine, longer than that, it'll feel weird and off when you skip training sessions. You probably felt that way at first, given your devotion to it in your younger days. Rest days made you feel like there was more you could do.

TLDR; if you really want to, you'll make time for the gym. After a bit, it'll become routine, and you'll feel strange being off it. Kind of like getting laid off or quitting a job, the routine's broken and things feel off.

Stop lying, no one benches more than

teh
275.JPG

You just get back into it, family and more responsibilities obviously take priority and it does take alot out of you. My guess is that if you're really committed, you'll dig deep make time for the gym. After about 2-3 weeks in, it'll be routine, longer than that, it'll feel weird and off when you skip training sessions. You probably felt that way at first, given your devotion to it in your younger days. Rest days made you feel like there was more you could do.

TLDR; if you really want to, you'll make time for the gym. After a bit, it'll become routine, and you'll feel strange being off it. Kind of like getting laid off or quitting a job, the routine's broken and things feel off.

Spoiler nailed it, spot on. When I missed a day I felt like I was missing something. Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't even have kids yet and am 11 years younger than you but am already losing motivation. I stopped competing in jiu jitsu and mma and now I can't force myself into the gym as much nor can I make myself train as hard as I did.

I'm the oldest 28 year old I know.

That's a nice long winded way of telling us that you used to bench 475 back when you were on the juice.

It's time to turn that 475 to a 500!

My motivation comes from the fact that I enjoy it. It's not hard to make yourself do something you enjoy.

Do you not enjoy getting stronger and bettering the only body you have in this world? Look at the out of shape, and broken men that are your peers. Do you want that? If not, then get your ass in the gym.

Training with a team is a great way to keep in shape. Find you a fellow retiree and go at it.

From crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Goals. Short and long term.

If I dont have any, I just fuck around because I enjoy it.

Goals. Short and long term.

If I dont have any, I just fuck around because I enjoy it.
Is the custom text under your name a reference to your team of choice? :p

Is the custom text under your name a reference to your team of choice? :p
Dont believe youll be singing that tune in a few months.

I just do it because I enjoy the pain and the satisfaction that's derived from completing a challenge, no matter how small or big.

Back