staying fit to defend yourself

M0ller

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So today when i was at the gym, a guy came up to me asking about how long i have been boxing in. Then he told me that he had taken boxing lesson at a boxing gym for 6-8 months and sparring, and a couple of months in a muay thai. To learn the basics in jab, footwork, kicks and knees, hip rotation. So he would be able to defend himself if he ever needed to. He uses i think it was 3-4 times a week on a heavy bag, doing what he learned and trying to better it with the help of videos on youtube, and get his form perfect.

So i was wondering afterwards, can this really benefit him? if we take a guy who can the basics like him, and it looked fine to me when he showed it to me. Can you benefit from doing shadowboxing and bag work in a regular gym, doing circuits of boxing and muay thai, and be able to use it on the streets in self defense ?

what are you guys opinion, and anyone doing the same?

It's best to be training regularly with skilled partners, but he will sure have an advantage over not having trained. I always say if you're not fit you can't fight and you can't run away. I think the mian problem of not having training partners is never training under pressure, then a real fight kicks off and the adrenaline is too much.

The same time spent in BJJ then staying fit afterwards may be more useful for self defence.

He said he sparred, so he should be fine. Just need to keep his tools sharp. The problem is if he never sparred before. He'd be in for a shocker when he gets hit IRL.

You wouldn't be in your prime but if you shadow box or do drills you'd be keeping your tools sharp and would still be a good fighter. Robbie didn't spar back in the days.

I'm actually also planning to stop training soon. I'm pretty happy with my skillset now and I know I can beat up any untrained street thug. Even if I stopped training for a year, I'll still have an advantage over them.

Yes, of course. But the more you train and the more skilled guys you train with , the better.
Its not only our discipline, determination and competence that shapes us, the surrounding environment also moldes the individual.

I also keep sharp with the help of new drills and routines, so i can give these street bullies an ass kicking if i have to.

He said he sparred, so he should be fine. Just need to keep his tools sharp. The problem is if he never sparred before. He'd be in for a shocker when he gets hit IRL.

You wouldn't be in your prime but if you shadow box or do drills you'd be keeping your tools sharp and would still be a good fighter. Robbie didn't spar back in the days.

I'm actually also planning to stop training soon. I'm pretty happy with my skillset now and I know I can beat up any untrained street thug. Even if I stopped training for a year, I'll still have an advantage over them.
Personal experience from years back:
As a crappy Shotokan orange belt with no contact sparring experience I sparred full contact with a boxer (2 years) and then a kung fu chick (8 years in training).

Boxer lit me up with hooks which I had no idea how to defend. He was closing the distance and making me dizzy with shots. I finally jumped back, found my distance, parried a jab and darted in with the classic lunge reverse punch. Knocked him down.

Kung Fu girl dodged every punch I threw and hit me a few times but was susceptible to low kicks. Focused on kicks to both her legs and lunged in with a punch after faking a kick (almost like a superman punch). Knocked her down.

My point: I fully agree that first contact sparring sessions are enlightening if not shocking. However, if you drill something for years (like my reverse punch) you get pretty good at it - it's gonna work if you manage to land it. Of course it's best to test it in sparring regularly but it's not useless to practice it solo.

Back