staying calm during confrontation

you know what you must do: meet in person; post results.

come on guys, you could make internet history.

you know what you must do: meet in person; post results.

come on guys, you could make internet history.

Offered to buy him a plane ticket down to Texas to meet up with some guys in DFW or even to fly him down to Padlock.

i represent the people.

and the people wanna see it.

editing to say that if you email this thread to strikeforce, they might be interested. sounds like it's right up their alley.

Last edited:
A guy that's pretty new at our school bounces at a bar in the city (Chicago.) He was taking a guy outside for grabbing girls and such. The guy tried to fight him so the bouncer took the guy down to side control. A friend of the guy getting bounced ended up cracking the bouncer in the head with a bottle. End result was 9 staples to the dome and no training for him for a couple of weeks. I think he learned his lesson about trying to submit someone in a crowd like that.

I know this doesn't address the OP's topic other than to agree with people saying avoid getting into the fight in the first place if you can. I feel more confident in my striking than my grappling right now. So, I would most likely just use the grappling I've learned to keep it on our feet if I ever did get in a confrontation that I couldn't talk myself out of or walk away from. Humbling yourself in such situations helps a great deal I think. An ego will get you into more fights than it will get you out of imo.

Humbling yourself in such situations helps a great deal I think. An ego will get you into more fights than it will get you out of imo.

i've been saying this since page one. i guess in the bouncer situation it doesn't work, but i've gotten many drunken brodudes not to fight me by simply agreeing with the things they say about me being a pussy and stuff. just tell them they'd win anyway and you don't want to get beat up.

...by simply agreeing with the things they say about me being a pussy and stuff. just tell them they'd win anyway and you don't want to get beat up.

But what if I don't believe in lying?:icon_chee

I would rather talk my way out of something then worry about staying calm. I really don't see anybody really forcing me to fight them. If somebody were to attack me I would most likely still try and avoid the confrontation, I see the penalties of a fight being worse when you train and the other person doesn't.

lol.
I was just playing around and being a dick. Besides 'professor' is so formal, you can just call me Mr. Andre.:icon_chee

I really don't care about grammer to much, i just thought it was funny when I saw 'escalade' instead of 'escalate'. A little subliminal advertising.

about your story though...sounds like those guys knew each other...if someone followed me home and threw a punch (or whatever) I would probably choke him out cold. When he came back with friends and starting throwing bricks...calling the cops would've been a good idea.
letting go of someone when you have a dominate position b/c they say 'let me go' is giving them a chance to start back on their feet...lesson learned!

If there are a half-dozen people standing outside of your house, throwing bricks through the windows and screaming threats at you, you should just chuckle at them for bringing bricks to a gun fight, then take care of business.

Wasn't it Barry Goldwater or George Wallace who said something along the lines of, "the easiest way for a man with a brick to get himself killed is to throw it a man with a rifle."

If there are a half-dozen people standing outside of your house, throwing bricks through the windows and screaming threats at you, you should just chuckle at them for bringing bricks to a gun fight, then take care of business.

Wasn't it Barry Goldwater or George Wallace who said something along the lines of, "the easiest way for a man with a brick to get himself killed is to throw it a man with a rifle."

I think it was Nathan Hale...updated
"I only regret that I have but one bullet to give for your body."

Oh im so sorry professor Andre. My grammer can not be tolerated. I didnt realize I was still in composition class. I thought I had already recieved my credits in comp 1 and comp 2. I could have swore I was on spring break from college this week. I must have mistaken please forgive my negligence in this manner.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that when GJJfighter is trying to sound high brow and write well it actually gets worse? In what "manner" are we supposed to forgive him, exactly?

I mean seriously, is it really that much easier to spell simple words like "grammar" and "matter" wrong or use the incorrect tense for words like "sworn" than it is to do so correctly? I just do this by habit, it is actually harder for me to spell something wrong because I have to get creative. I can perhaps justify leaving out the "been" before "mistaken" because that truly is easier, but not the rest.

Sad that you can get into university with this level of writing.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that when GJJfighter is trying to sound high brow and write well it actually gets worse? In what "manner" are we supposed to forgive him, exactly?

I mean seriously, is it really that much easier to spell simple words like "grammar" and "matter" wrong or use the incorrect tense for words like "sworn" than it is to do so correctly? I just do this by habit, it is actually harder for me to spell something wrong because I have to get creative. I can perhaps justify leaving out the "been" before "mistaken" because that truly is easier, but not the rest.

Sad that you can get into university with this level of writing.

Community college maybe.

pretty much whats already been said.....calmness comes from training. My ability to remain calm in a situation where i'm fighting is due mainly to confidence. I am confident when I'm in the gym so, if put in a position of which i need to defend myself, I am confident enough in my abilities that I can defend myself with doing the least amount of damage necessary. I don't wanna break a man's arm if he attacks me or punch his teeth out, even if that's what he intends to try and do to me. Any guy who tries to start shit will usually pipe down if you give him a well placed hip toss or just any move that makes him uncomfortable. Being calm isn't something I was really taught, just something I developed. Gotta go through fire to make iron...or some shit like that.

i agree here naturally you may be a little nervous at first. The only way to overcome the fear is to train like a fight. If you train like youre in a real fight then when a real fight comes you will know that you have done this a 1000 times and its just another day of training. Confidence is the number one key. The way to get confidence is practice, which leads to success, and success to confidence, and confidence usually to victory.

My training partner got in an incident the other day, he went to a gas station where a guy confronted him and my training partner said he wasnt fighting and left and went home. Well this guy followed him home and my training partner was standing at the door and this came at him swinging so he took him down full mounted him and put the super hooks in and told the guy to relax, then the guy rolled over and it was a rnc, which that guy said he was done so my training partner let him up and then he came right back at him which eventually led to another rnc. My training partner just calmed the situation. Then after the guy left he came back with 5 guys and they were holding bricks and rocks and my training partner called the cops and then those guys took the bricks and rocks and screwed his lincoln car up and kicked his tail light in and threw a rock through the apartment window and then one of them posted what they did on facebook and then my training partner printed it off haha and now they are in some trouble, but as you can see its always better to try to avoid a situation if possible. Never know how far its gonna escalade. If my training partner would have seriously injured the guy it could have been a lot worse when he came back with his friends.

Whoa, I thought I killed you. So, are you the Zombie GJJ Fighter, or the Vampire GJJ Fighter?

If someone starts running their mouth. Beat their ass. Break their limbs.

Having really good cardio (i.e. a resting heart rate in the mid-low 50s) tends to correlate with "staying calm during confrontation". It's one of my training goals for 2010.

Back