staying calm during confrontation

lowdown1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
so im curious if anyone has any teq or strategy that helps you stay calm during a street or self defense situation, so you can apply your jiujitsu under heavy stress.

the best way to get out of a sub is to not get in it. the best way to stay calm in a fight is to not get in it

im quite aware of those two facts yoda but thanks for trying. lets try again. if in a inescapable self-defense situation, the blood pressure rises fight or flight kicks in heart is racing etc. so how to combat those primal feelings and defend yourself with a cool and clear mind

do not take part in somebody's game leading up to the fight. like brian said, avoid at all costs. agree with him when he calls you a pussy and tell him he will win the fight anyway.

IF you must fight, again, don't take part in his game. he attacked you, i know, and you wanna hurt him before he hurts you. BUT you can get in way too much trouble these days for "self defense" and, to be honest, i wouldn't call an experienced grappler/fighter snapping some mouthy punk's arms or smashing out his teeth anything but excessive force anyway. use your bread and butter - take him to the floor and apply a choke if you must. before just rushing to choke him, tell him you are going to. say "i can really hurt you right now and i'm not. if you keep fighting, i will have to."

only push as hard as your being pushed and use discretion. i know it won't ever be as easy as i said above, but you're ignorant if you're one of the people who's all "if someone hit me i'd put him in a triangle, elbow a gash on his forehead, and bury my thumbs in his eyes!". most dudes starting fights are easy enough to hold down in side control or mount, so unless you're a total beginner to the sport you shouldn't have a problem keeping your cool and protecting yourself at the moment and in the sense of liability.

all that said, i'm a very calm person and have only ever raised my voice at my brothers when i was a kid. some people aren't the same, i guess.

so im curious if anyone has any teq or strategy that helps you stay calm during a street or self defense situation, so you can apply your jiujitsu under heavy stress.

Practice?

The only way I know of to stay calm during such high adrenaline situations it to have some experience. If you're in or around a confrontation that may be violent, you get adrenaline. Once you have experience with this, you can control it.

I personally think competing is good for that. If you grapple in a tournament you're going to be nervous as fuck for your first match, and you'll probably get tired about a minute in from the huge adrenaline dump that your system takes. After a while you get used to it.

While in a high adrenaline situation, you always have to remember to take a deep breath, focus, and think. Easier said than done I realize.

Have you competed in BJJ?

Breath. Calm your breathing, and trust your training.

I know thats what every one always says, but trust me, controlled breathing is a vital part of fighting. Whether it be MMA, BJJ, or on the Streets.

I work on this everytime i train, and its served me well in the past. When i have been in street altercations (ive spoken about a couple defense situations in previous posts), i subdued the person.

Generally speaking, people who start troubles dont have the cardio to fight for more than a minute. And as someone who trains daily, i do.

So my best chances especially against a larger opponent (im only 5'9 155) are to take the fight to the ground, and tire him until i can either finish him with strikes, or wait till the police show.

Grappling for a person who doesnt grapple, is exhausting. And establishing a dominant position in a streetfight (imo, mount or back mount) is vital to your ability to subdue him, and hopefully not be forced to hurt him, as you would have to do if you were just boxing with him.

[Tycho?];36909391 said:
Practice?

The only way I know of to stay calm during such high adrenaline situations it to have some experience. If you're in or around a confrontation that may be violent, you get adrenaline. Once you have experience with this, you can control it.

I personally think competing is good for that. If you grapple in a tournament you're going to be nervous as fuck for your first match, and you'll probably get tired about a minute in from the huge adrenaline dump that your system takes.

While in a high adrenaline situation, you always have to remember to take a deep breath, focus, and think. Easier said than done I realize.

i can relate to the turney adrenaline, i did horrible at my first blue belt turney i was way more nervous then i needed to be and performed poorly. im a pritty laid back kind of guy but i work at a bar and sometimes confrontation just happens. I take direct confrontation very seriously and probably need to just take a step back and relax and realize that people are drunk and stupid.:D

You are always going to be scared....it is natural. Some people can control their fears better than others.

Other than getting into a lot of real fights....training would be the next best way.......hard sparring in training where you are actually getting hit and you hitting back. You don't have to be an MMA fighter to train this way.

Remember the way you train is the way you are going to fight......your skills will take over.

Breath. Calm your breathing, and trust your training.

I know thats what every one always says, but trust me, controlled breathing is a vital part of fighting. Whether it be MMA, BJJ, or on the Streets.

I work on this everytime i train, and its served me well in the past. When i have been in street altercations (ive spoken about a couple defense situations in previous posts), i subdued the person.

Generally speaking, people who start troubles dont have the cardio to fight for more than a minute. And as someone who trains daily, i do.

So my best chances especially against a larger opponent (im only 5'9 155) are to take the fight to the ground, and tire him until i can either finish him with strikes, or wait till the police show.

Grappling for a person who doesnt grapple, is exhausting. And establishing a dominant position in a streetfight (imo, mount or back mount) is vital to your ability to subdue him, and hopefully not be forced to hurt him, as you would have to do if you were just boxing with him.

I like what you said but I have often thought of BJJ somewhat on the excessive side when it comes to say a Bar Bouncer, private security guard and in some cases even Police.
Obviously with Police they can use higher and higer levels of force based on the situation but if they have gone to the level of choking out someone (is that even legal anymore) or breaking a limb they are at least at the level of pepper spray and very close to a gun.

Anyway not to derail the thread but your post was very insightful and I agree. But wouldnt a "takedown" to a pin be sufficient in 90% of the cases mentioned above?
I dont mean a throw them on the skull on concrete takedown, perhaps a trip or arm drag go behind followed by dumping them.

Anyway to TS I think the simulation of tourney is about as close as you will get to real life unless you mix in some Krav maga scenario type training. Look it up they have some intereseting drills. I think Human weapon did a piece on them.

Staying "calm" comes from training ,sparing and so forth.
Iv offen wonderd what kind of troubel would come out of breaking a arm or leg on a person?

Staying "calm" comes from training ,sparing and so forth.
Iv offen wonderd what kind of troubel would come out of breaking a arm or leg on a person?

One of my students broke a guys arm with an arm bar two months ago.....the fuck was messing with his old father. He is still waiting for the cops to show up. I doubt anything wil come out of it.

no idea mate.

if it really is unavoidable then why not just go ape shit on the guy?

Have you competed in BJJ?

Competition (striking, grappling or mixed) is not nearly the same as a street fight. When you are ina competition you know it is 1 vs 1, there are rules to prevent serious injury and that a ref is there to step in.

In a street fight you have so many other factors that contribute ot fight or flight. How many friends does this guy have, does he have a weapon, could he glass me, if I end up KO'd or on the ground will this guy & possibly his mates kick me in the head until I die.

As I say, competition is not nearly the same, it may help but when you are truly scared the adrenaline dump is way bigger than anything you can get from training.

i forgot to say that if you are going to get in a fight and have to take a dude down, pop him hard on the chin with a straight shot first(he will most likely be windmilling like an idiot). if you knock him out cold, you can wear your jeans again the next day without getting mud all over your knees.

I've been tense situations in work, like doing high risk entries and what not. I always breathe in through my nose 1-2-3-4 out through my mouth 1-2-3-4 and gather myself before I do it. This is a different situation then punching a drunk in a bar, but the point is to gather yourself and try as best you can to use all of your faculties. Another aspect is training. If you train muay thai and have drilled 1000's of times to jabe cross, leg kick high kick (or whatever) odds are in a confrontation you will fall to the level of your training.

Lt. Col. David Grossman has forged a career on studying the psychology of combat. He would be an invaluable resource for you if you really wanted to research the topic. I think his site is killology.com
He's got some interesting stuff to say on the topic.

Competition (striking, grappling or mixed) is not nearly the same as a street fight. When you are ina competition you know it is 1 vs 1, there are rules to prevent serious injury and that a ref is there to step in.

In a street fight you have so many other factors that contribute ot fight or flight. How many friends does this guy have, does he have a weapon, could he glass me, if I end up KO'd or on the ground will this guy & possibly his mates kick me in the head until I die.

As I say, competition is not nearly the same, it may help but when you are truly scared the adrenaline dump is way bigger than anything you can get from training.

competition is not the same but your right the adrenaline is close. Im not naive and i always assume the worst in a street confrontation ie.weapon he trains also etc etc.. im not sure who sead it but controlling your breathing drills seams like a overlooked part of training for me and something i should start doing.

You are always going to be scared....it is natural. Some people can control their fears better than others.

Other than getting into a lot of real fights....training would be the next best way.......hard sparring in training where you are actually getting hit and you hitting back. You don't have to be an MMA fighter to train this way.

Remember the way you train is the way you are going to fight......your skills will take over.

i agree here naturally you may be a little nervous at first. The only way to overcome the fear is to train like a fight. If you train like youre in a real fight then when a real fight comes you will know that you have done this a 1000 times and its just another day of training. Confidence is the number one key. The way to get confidence is practice, which leads to success, and success to confidence, and confidence usually to victory.

My training partner got in an incident the other day, he went to a gas station where a guy confronted him and my training partner said he wasnt fighting and left and went home. Well this guy followed him home and my training partner was standing at the door and this came at him swinging so he took him down full mounted him and put the super hooks in and told the guy to relax, then the guy rolled over and it was a rnc, which that guy said he was done so my training partner let him up and then he came right back at him which eventually led to another rnc. My training partner just calmed the situation. Then after the guy left he came back with 5 guys and they were holding bricks and rocks and my training partner called the cops and then those guys took the bricks and rocks and screwed his lincoln car up and kicked his tail light in and threw a rock through the apartment window and then one of them posted what they did on facebook and then my training partner printed it off haha and now they are in some trouble, but as you can see its always better to try to avoid a situation if possible. Never know how far its gonna escalade. If my training partner would have seriously injured the guy it could have been a lot worse when he came back with his friends.

WHATS UP GJJ FIGHTER IS BACK!

you gonna respond to any of padlock's posts?

Back