Starz's BLACK SAILS (Season 4 Discussion)

I'm done. Even the cat can't save this ship from sinking.

Episode 5 was (gasp) terrific. I suggest checking the last episode. If you like Master and Commander (love that movie), you will enjoy this episode. Even the power struggle subplot in the mainland was intriguing. Everything is starting to click. Glad I stuck around.

There have been plenty of much better looking women on movie channel premium TV series than Hannah New and Jessica Parker Kennedy. Actually there have been much better looking women in movies and regular TV series, and even B movies made for television than Hannah New and Jessica Parker Kennedy.

I don't even understand why people are talking about them.

There have been plenty of much better looking women on movie channel premium TV series than Hannah New and Jessica Parker Kennedy. Actually there have been much better looking women in movies and regular TV series, and even B movies made for television than Hannah New and Jessica Parker Kennedy.

I don't even understand why people are talking about them.

Uh, because this is a Black Sails thread and both actresses are on the show.

Episode 5 was (gasp) terrific. I suggest checking the last episode. If you like Master and Commander (love that movie), you will enjoy this episode. Even the power struggle subplot in the mainland was intriguing. Everything is starting to click. Glad I stuck around.

Maybe. I was in through 4 and I checked out. Maybe I'll check out 5. They need to streamline things.

Finally some pirate ship fighting action.

Uh, because this is a Black Sails thread and both actresses are on the show.

Yes, but they are not talkin about their acting ability. Quite frankly I think they are perfect for their roles. Not too attractive to make that the main focal point of their parts. They just read their lines and look the part.

Slow burner but agree with DL, the last episode was really good.

I never knew Capt Flint(Toby Stephens) is Dame Maggie Smith's son until my mum told me last Sunday past.

He passed her house every day whilst filming Jane Eyre in the neighbourhood.

Yes, but they are not talkin about their acting ability. Quite frankly I think they are perfect for their roles. Not too attractive to make that the main focal point of their parts. They just read their lines and look the part.

This is nothing new in Mayberry or any other forums. People like to talk about the females of the show and comment on their favorite "hottie" among them. I see it all the time in Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, SHIELD, Justified, and every other TV show threads.

Slow burner but agree with DL, the last episode was really good.

I never knew Capt Flint(Toby Stephens) is Dame Maggie Smith's son until my mum told me last Sunday past.

He passed her house every day whilst filming Jane Eyre in the neighbourhood.

Didn't know that about being Stephens being Maggie Smith's son. Thanks for that.

Also, what was brilliant about last episode was they simultaneously showed the pirates' raid from the point of view of their accountant/bookkeeper(?) giving the viewers to empathize the sense of danger they were undertaking. His first kill was bloody awesome.

It was a pretty decent first episode. Better than the first episode of Spartacus imo. Will stick around to see where the story goes. Want to see more of Hannah New.

I've been recommending this show to several people,it's good.

I'm enjoying this show tbh, it's making my Sunday morning hangovers way more fun.

There's characters/actors I really like and some which clearly suck, if I never hear that stupid accent on the hooker chick again it wouldn't be a bad thing, and the main "bad guy" pirate, vaughn or whatever his name is seems like a really shitty actor who got the role primarily based on his abs.

Flynt, the bald quartermaster and the quarter master who's rocking the shades are all awesome characters.

I love how they gathered two Shakespearean London stage vets to lead as the Captain and Quartermaster. They accrued a lot of acting talent for this show.

Mark Gray in a Dana White biopic, anyone?

MV5BMjA1NzEzMjU4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI2MDkxNA@@._V1__SX1698_SY814_.jpg

Finally caught up with this show. I was getting to make this show walk the plank but the last episode was spectactular. The show is really finding its footing. Glad I did not give up on this show.

I really love how this show is doing some small things without feeling the need to spell everything out the way network television does.

Case in point: Billy & the Captain. Billy's doubts are growing, and as the Captain explains there's a 2/3 chance they won't find their hunted ship, he says, "But does that do anyone any good? The crew needs certainty." You can see that Billy is dissatisfied with this rationale, and that he naturally understands that this kind of manipulation is a slippery slope. Yet, later in the episode, due to paralyzing fear on the part of the accountant when he is told he must join in the attack, Billy finally has to resort to telling the accountant that nobody has ever died on the first boarding. Of course, it was a lie, and after learning that Billy knew it was a lie, the accountant tells him, "Thank you for that. It helped."

Just caught up on the last three episodes. All were very good, especially four and five. The first two episodes started slow but damn this show has improved a lot very quickly. I loved all the little details when they were boarding the ship. Added a lot of depth and realism to the fight. I'm excited for the rest of the season.

watched episode 6, enjoying the storyline. One comment after you watch it

Blackbeard at the End?

Just caught up on the last three episodes. All were very good, especially four and five. The first two episodes started slow but damn this show has improved a lot very quickly. I loved all the little details when they were boarding the ship. Added a lot of depth and realism to the fight. I'm excited for the rest of the season.
The last two episodes were amazing, but this isn't Arrow; it's not that the show has improved, but simply that it's starting to collect dividends on all those schemes and plots they sowed in episodes #2-#4 that made those slower moving, and less satisfying.

This is quickly becoming one of the top 10 current dramas on television.

Last edited:
losing interest in this show. isn't really all that captivating so far.

can't really get into any of the characters.

i might give it another week or two and see if it can get its hooks into me.

a shame really, as I am very interested in pirate related stuff.

I was skeptical and thought that the pilot was lackluster but I have to admit that I'm enjoying this show a lot right now.

Still haven't seen Episode 6 so I can't really read this thread for fear of spoilers.

Back