Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

Believe. Is this about believing in the Gods or believing the tv show will be good?
I try and curb my enthusiasm for shows before i've seen them but damnit if this one isn't getting ready to play a violin inside of me, one way or the other.

I pictured the guy from Game of Thrones that plays Tor Giansbane, husband of bears, to play Mad Sweeney. That, or Kevin Durand(from 3:10 to Yuma, Lost, Wolverine as Blob) for that part.

For Shadow, I pictured Idris Elba

Neverwhere is my favorite Gaiman

I'm happy with some of their picks, it looks like they have some potential in there. Ian McShane, Pablo Shrieber, Jonathon Tucker. Those three are phenomenal.
Idris is always a cool choice. I like him for his charisma but don't always find his acting decent. Early days though, he has potential to become a GOAT.

I enjoyed Neverwhere the tv show, the budget was so low but it shone through regardless. Gaiman is ultra creative and while he's not seemless, he does deliver quality in his writing and like you mention, there's at least one thing that really stands out per book that blows my mind with how clever it is. He's the same personality type (INFP) as George R R Martin.

I'm happy with some of their picks, it looks like they have some potential in there. Ian McShane, Pablo Shrieber, Jonathon Tucker. Those three are phenomenal.
Idris is always a cool choice. I like him for his charisma but don't always find his acting decent. Early days though, he has potential to become a GOAT.

I enjoyed Neverwhere the tv show, the budget was so low but it shone through regardless. Gaiman is ultra creative and while he's not seemless, he does deliver quality in his writing and like you mention, there's at least one thing that really stands out per book that blows my mind with how clever it is. He's the same personality type (INFP) as George R R Martin.

Since my post, I started watching orange is the new black. I love Pablo Shrieber, so I am happy with that choice. McShane as well, though I still pictured Anthony Hopkins both times through the book.

I have not seen the show, yet, not has anyone else, but I am not their shadow pick. This may seem strange, but Vin Deisal would have been good. I just don't think their shadow is big enough, as everyone remarks how big he is.

Looking forward to the series. I needed a new show to watch after Taboo ends and by that time Legion would be close to the season finale

Update: March 6, 2017

First Look at Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

american-gods-first-look-orlando-jones.jpg

Like many self-described “nerds,” actor Orlando Jones came across Neil Gaiman’s sci-fi/fantasy classic American Gods well before Starz decided to turn it into a series from genre TV buffs Michael Green and Bryan Fuller.

But despite his Gaiman love, Jones never expected in his wildest dreams he’d land the role of Mr. Nancy/Anansi—one of the book and show’s many imported old-world deities vying for the increasingly fractured attention span of modern-day Americans. And Jones is attacking the role of the arachnid African trickster god with all the glee you would expect from a true fan.

Mr. Nancy/Anansi is the only one of Gaiman’s American gods so far to warrant a spin-off novel—2005’s Anansi Boys—and speaking with Vanity Fair, Jones reveals his character might get the TV spin-off treatment as well.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ncy-anansi-orlando-jones-anansi-boys-spin-off

It's been so long since I've seen Orlando jones

I can't think of him doing anything since evolution (great fun movie btw)

To me, he is eternally the make seven, UP YOURS guy

hqdefault.jpg

It's been so long since I've seen Orlando jones

I can't think of him doing anything since evolution (great fun movie btw)

To me, he is eternally the make seven, UP YOURS guy

hqdefault.jpg
Damn, I loved those commercials.

He also crushed it in the replacements and his minor role in office space

Wonder why he fell off so hard

Update: March 6, 2017

First Look at Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

american-gods-first-look-orlando-jones.jpg

Like many self-described “nerds,” actor Orlando Jones came across Neil Gaiman’s sci-fi/fantasy classic American Gods well before Starz decided to turn it into a series from genre TV buffs Michael Green and Bryan Fuller.

But despite his Gaiman love, Jones never expected in his wildest dreams he’d land the role of Mr. Nancy/Anansi—one of the book and show’s many imported old-world deities vying for the increasingly fractured attention span of modern-day Americans. And Jones is attacking the role of the arachnid African trickster god with all the glee you would expect from a true fan.

Mr. Nancy/Anansi is the only one of Gaiman’s American gods so far to warrant a spin-off novel—2005’s Anansi Boys—and speaking with Vanity Fair, Jones reveals his character might get the TV spin-off treatment as well.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ncy-anansi-orlando-jones-anansi-boys-spin-off
980FA0D6-98FD-416C-9F2F-D07AD36C60ED_zpsxcv36txf.gif

I read Anansi Boys before American gods. I thought it was ok. I then read American gods, then listened to the audio book of anansi boys and loved it.

Both books have so much heart hidden in there that doesn't seem apparent until at least mid way through. I keep hearing the audio book guy say " you da fellow wit da lime?"

I'm kind of surprised how low key the buzz is for the show since its going to premiere in just a month and a half from now. I'm very looking forward to the show.
Gaiman + Fuller + Al Swear Engine + George McFly should make it well worth it

I was skeptical if they could incorporate the more obscure aspects of the book and still keep it as explicit as it should be -- that trailer suggest they got it right.

Plus, Peter Stormare as Czernobog =

latest

looks fucking nuts, i'm in.

Who here has read the book? Any good?

Who here has read the book? Any good?

Very good. I recommend it.

Although, there's a particular reveal that's telegraphed early and if you don't spot it on the first read you'll be kicking yourself for not noticing it for years to come.

I wonder how they'll handle it on the show.

Back