Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

I don't like watching preview videos, would rather just watch from episode 1. I follow Neil Gaiman on facebook though and he posted the video.

The fact that it didn't really reveal anything makes me think they've got some meat to it, as usually if a show is average they put more effort into the trailer.

I'm pumped that Pablo Schreiber will get the role of Mad Sweeney, after his portrayal in Orange Is The New Black, I'm so glad he gets another on the edge type of character. And Jonathon Tucker is in it! He's playing Low Key Lyesmith (the God Loki). I dig that casting.

Neil Gaiman, while smart and original, tends to get lost with the plot and tempo of his books. I'm really hoping they develop a solid plot to follow. That they have four directors doing 1 episode each worries me. The directors have some solid experience behind them though.

F my lunch, i'm getting pumped. Really hope they can make it great.

Update: July 25, 2016

First Look at Gillian Anderson as Media Dressed as Marilyn Monroe in AMERICAN GODS

Gillian Anderson tweeted: "Doesn't mean I don't love you! Here's a little more of this story."

Anderson plays Media, the mouthpiece for the New Gods, functioning as their public face and sales representative, by taking the form of various iconic celebrities. She lives off the attention and worship that people give to screens-to their laptops, their TVs, to their iPhones in their hands while they watch their TVs. Ever the perky spokesperson, and always in control, she spins stories in whatever direction best suits her. American Gods will premiere on Starz in 2017.

CoEj6f5W8AALG1p.jpg

I am fucking stoked! Now to finish the book.

Nice trailer.

The funniest part about the book, as far as I remember, was the South American love goddess that had survived by hooking, thus getting the blood/sacrifices she needed to be alive or something.

Just read all of this and I'm seriously intrigued. I may have to get the book and give it a read.

Update: August 18, 2016

Corbin Bernsen Joins Starz's AMERICAN GODS as Vulcan

Corbin-Bernsen-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

Psych alum Corbin Bernsen has been tapped for a potentially recurring role as Vulcan in Starz’s upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed fantasy novel American Gods.

Vulcan is one of Mr. Wednesday’s (Ian McShane) oldest allies. He’s created a comfortable life for himself by harnessing his powers for the modern world, which makes him resistant to Wednesday’s plans.

The plot of American Gods posits a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle), is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday (McShane), a conman who in reality is one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation to battle the new deities.

Bernsen appeared on all eight seasons of USA Network’s hit series Psych in the role of Henry Spencer. His breakout TV role came as lawyer Arnie Becker in the long-running LA Law, which earned him multiple Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. He’s also known for the role of Roger Dorn in the Major League film franchise.

'Psych' Alum Corbin Bernsen Cast in the Recurring Role of Vulcan in Starz's 'American Gods'

Update: August 24, 2016

First Look at Kristen Chenoweth as Easter in AMERICAN GODS

Bryan Fuller tweeted: "#Easter in her Easter bonnet with all the frills upon it @KChenoweth @andmichaelgreen @neilhimself @AmericanGodsSTZ"

CqpdgKoUAAACp2Q.jpg

Update: September 1, 2016

Jeremy Davies Cast as Jesus in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

Jeremy-Davies-Jesus-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

The big guy is coming to Starz. The network’s epic new 2017 series American Gods already has its ensemble bursting with deities, but another familiar name has been cast, EW has learned: Jeremy Davies has joined the cast as Jesus. Yes, that Jesus.

Jesus plays into the appearance of another character: Kristin Chenoweth’s Easter, a.k.a. Ostara. Jesus’ official character description: “Resurrected on Ostara’s feast day, Jesus has always been generous in sharing the Easter holiday with the ancient goddess. But the overly empathetic Son of God would be crushed to know that Ostara harbors some deeply buried resentment over the issue.”

Davies, who will appear on the new season of Fox’s Sleepy Hollow as well as Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival, is an Emmy Award winner known for his work as Dickie Bennett on FX’s Justified, as well as his pivotal arc as Daniel Faraday on Lost. He’s also an alum of Hannibal and, through American Gods, reteams with creator Bryan Fuller (who serves as co-executive producer along with Michael Green).

'Justified' Alum Jeremy Davies Joins Starz's 'American Gods' as Jesus

Um, I don't remember Jesus being in the book at all. For the most part it was Norse and Egyptian and I guess greek gods.

Nice trailer.

The funniest part about the book, as far as I remember, was the South American love goddess that had survived by hooking, thus getting the blood/sacrifices she needed to be alive or something.

Eaten by a vagina-it was erotic.

I don't like watching preview videos, would rather just watch from episode 1. I follow Neil Gaiman on facebook though and he posted the video.

The fact that it didn't really reveal anything makes me think they've got some meat to it, as usually if a show is average they put more effort into the trailer.

I'm pumped that Pablo Schreiber will get the role of Mad Sweeney, after his portrayal in Orange Is The New Black, I'm so glad he gets another on the edge type of character. And Jonathon Tucker is in it! He's playing Low Key Lyesmith (the God Loki). I dig that casting.

Neil Gaiman, while smart and original, tends to get lost with the plot and tempo of his books. I'm really hoping they develop a solid plot to follow. That they have four directors doing 1 episode each worries me. The directors have some solid experience behind them though.

F my lunch, i'm getting pumped. Really hope they can make it great.

I pictured the guy from Game of Thrones that plays Tor Giansbane, husband of bears, to play Mad Sweeney. That, or Kevin Durand(from 3:10 to Yuma, Lost, Wolverine as Blob) for that part.

I pictured, and maybe out of laziness, but Anthony Hopkins as Wednesday, but I am 100% with who they chose. Chernobog seems to be well cast. But damn, is this going to be confusing.

I am currently listening to Neverwhere on audiobook, as it is my favorite Gaiman, and will probably work my way back through Graveyard, Ocean, Stardust, and then Gods a second time.

If you have not listed to one of his books as read by him, you are missing out. He is a wonderful voice actor.

American gods was meh to me but I thought Neverwhere was great.

As I just told another poster, Neverwhere is my favorite Gaiman. But Gods grew on me. What has always hooked me since the first Gaiman I read(ocean at the end of the lane) was that he just gives you a glimpse of a much larger world within his world-some place you want to learn more about. For me, it was that kittens were the roots in the ground and were born if you carefully grabbed the leaves and pulled the "plant" out of the ground; or the Velvets in Neverwhere. I very much want to see a Crupe and Vandemar prequel.

And idea who is playing Anansi? It was my least favorite Gaiman, but Gods made me like the character more.

Sorry, this has me thinking. For Anansi-I was thinking the guy from Harry Potter-Kingsley Shacklbolt, or maybe a little Louis Gossett Jr if his accent was ok, or the guy that played Ice Cube's dad in Friday-if he was still alive(Jonathan Witherspoon-who I pictured in the books).

For Shadow, I pictured Idris Elba, or maybe even Vin Diesel-but this guy works.

I just read that Orlando Jones is Anansi. I don't think I agree with that one. He is too goofy and not smooth enough.

Looking at the cast list, I forgot about the extremely graphic gay Djini cab driver. I had my kids in the car while listening to that book.

Last edited:
Update: December 26, 2016

First Look at Corbin Bernsen's Vulcan in AMERICAN GODS

american-gods.jpg

EW has an exclusive first look at a new character who straddles both worlds in the series: Meet Vulcan, played by actor Corbin Bernsen (Psych, L.A. Law). He’s based on the Roman god of metalworking and volcanoes… so, essentially, the god of weaponry and fire, which translates into a modern character who has done fairly well for himself in a country where guns reign in the discourse.

“Vulcan’s the god of the volcano and the forge, and what is the modern-day extrapolation of what that god could do?” muses co-showrunner Bryan Fuller. “We started talking about America’s obsession with guns and gun control and, really, if you’re holding a gun in your hand, it’s a mini volcano, and perhaps, through this character, there’s a conversation to be had.”

Vulcan wasn’t written into Neil Gaiman’s original 2001 novel that serves as the inspiration for the series, but the character is an important new addition from Gaiman himself. The idea came back when the author was due to write an episode of the Starz series; though timing rendered that impossible for the first season, Fuller and co-showrunner Michael Green continued to weave Gaiman’s idea into the show’s fabric.

American Gods premieres on Starz in April 2017.

Meet Vulcan, American Gods' god of guns — exclusive

I am re reading this book. I keep thinking that vin diesel would have been a good shadow. The whole book talks about what a big guy shadow is, but Ricky whittle seems a bit small for the part, considering everyone says how big he is when they meet him

Did this show already come out? Also isnt there another graphic novel adaption that takes place in future dystopian NYC?

Update: February 24, 2017

Starz's AMERICAN GODS to Premiere on April 30, 2017; New Poster Released

AGS1_KA_Vertical_no-tune-in_1200x1800.jpg

Update: February 24, 2017

Starz's AMERICAN GODS to Premiere on April 30, 2017; New Poster Released

AGS1_KA_Vertical_no-tune-in_1200x1800.jpg
A Chick I know is friends with a bunch of the production crew on this. I wish I'd known earlier, I would have killed someone to have been an extra.

I am re reading this book. I keep thinking that vin diesel would have been a good shadow. The whole book talks about what a big guy shadow is, but Ricky whittle seems a bit small for the part, considering everyone says how big he is when they meet him

Ricky Whittle is a manlet per Sherdog standards at 6'1.

Back