Starz's AMERICAN GODS (Returns March 10, 2019)

Update: June 30, 2016

Teaser Image of Gillian Anderson as Media in AMERICAN GODS

While we are accustomed to seeing The X-Files star as a redhead, Gillian Anderson sports platinum blonde curls, channelling Marilyn Monroe's classic look, in this first look photo of her American Gods' character, Media. Her face is blurred, but you can see a close-up of her hand, with fingernails painted a bright red, holding an old-fashioned TV remote.

Anderson tweeted out the photo (view below) with a caption that reads: "We'll be telling this story. #Media @AmericanGodsSTZ."

Anderson plays Media, the mouthpiece for the New Gods, functioning as their public face and sales representative, by taking the form of various iconic celebrities. She lives off the attention and worship that people give to screens-to their laptops, their TVs, to their iPhones in their hands while they watch their TVs. Ever the perky spokesperson, and always in control, she spins stories in whatever direction best suits her.

CmNiMYwWMAA43Ab.jpg

Gillian Anderson Releases American Gods Teaser Photo

I loved his book Neverwhere, and Sandman of course.

I had a friend give me American Gods and it was the hardest book to read. I'd read twenty pages, then fall asleep. Read another ten, fall asleep again. Put the book down for a week, try to start up again, but couldn't remember where I was at, then had to backtrack and start re-reading shit again.

I never finished the book. But I've been curious how it ends. Not enough to wiki it though.

Update: July 14, 2016

First Look at Technical Boy in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

god-1_0.jpg

In another EW exclusive first look at Starz’ forthcoming TV series American Gods, Bruce Langley plays the ever-evolving Technical Boy, a powerful god who feeds off your devotion to the Internet. He’s part of a new class of modern, mythic creations clashing with the immigrant old gods over the country’s waning worship; as such, he’s a thorn in protagonist Shadow’s (Ricky Whittle) side, terrorizing the traveling ex-con as he tracks him across the country in his regal limo ride.

As the resident deity of all things digital, Technical Boy was first introduced in Neil Gaiman’s 2001 novel as something of a pimplyMatrix fanboy. As far as co-showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green are concerned, bringing the devilish de facto villain into 2017 necessitated a crucial style update — but to bring him into the future, Fuller and Green warped to the past.

“We needed to establish a frame of reference for the aesthetic of the Technical Boy, and [director] David Slade, I believe, was the first one to say ‘Commodore 64,’” says Fuller. “That will mean more to the audience once they understand more of the Technical Boy’s story — why the Commodore 64 and that era of technology is so informative for the look of him and the story and the general aesthetic when we first sample his world.”

Of any character in American Gods, the duo says the Technical Boy is perhaps the most changed from the book iteration. Much of that has to do with the obvious evolution of technology itself — computers and the Internet have morphed into an almost comically different new American beast in 2016 than in 2001 — but the transformative update to Technical Boy trickles beyond apps and into appearances. Fuller describes the new look as “more punk than god.”

“Technology has gone from something that was the province of the young to something ubiquitous and in your pocket, and the aesthetics of that have changed,” says Green. “Technology very much has a tie into fashion, which goes in cycles and changes overnight. What’s in fashion, technologically, and what’s in fashion, in fashion, are minute to minute and you can’t possibly keep up. And we look to the Technical Boy to be someone who’s very much a victim of both. The idea of feeling like you have to feed the beast of what’s new and what’s fresh is very much in his mind.”

“Every time you see the Technical Boy, he’ll be in something else, completely different regalia,” teases Green. “Like a lot of people in that period, he’s constantly trying on new looks and new personas.”

American Gods first look: Meet the Technical Boy — exclusive

I know I have no connection to the source material, thus making me an uncultured philistine, but I'm really liking their reasoning for changing Technical Boy.

I'm getting really excited for this.

I had a friend give me American Gods and it was the hardest book to read. I'd read twenty pages, then fall asleep. Read another ten, fall asleep again. Put the book down for a week, try to start up again, but couldn't remember where I was at, then had to backtrack and start re-reading shit again.

I never finished the book. But I've been curious how it ends. Not enough to wiki it though.

I listened to it on audiobook at a time when I was really into Norse mythology. It was pretty decent and had a good ending. Of course it is more interesting the more you know about the different old myths in it especially norse and egyptian

That's odd. I breezed through it faster than any book I remember reading in the last 15 years.

Update: July 15, 2016

Dane Cook Joins Starz's Adaptation of Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS

Dane-Cook-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

Dane Cook has joined the cast of Starz’ upcoming TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s fantasy novel, American Gods.

The comedian will play Robbie, the best friend of Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle), who looks after Shadow’s wife Laura (Emily Browning) while Shadow serves his time in prison. Upon his release, Shadow relies on Robbie to keep his job at a gym for him. Betty Gilpin (Nurse Jackie) has been tapped to play Robbie’s wife, Audrey.

American Gods follows Shadow upon his release from prison, whereupon he meets a mysterious stranger named Mr. Wednesday (Ian McShane) and is instantly pulled into an ongoing war between old gods like Wednesday, who were first brought to the country centuries prior by a dying population of immigrant believers, and America’s own set of new gods.

American Gods will premiere on Starz in 2017; Gaiman, Bryan Fuller, and Michael Green are executive producing.

Dane Cook has joined the cast of Starz’ upcoming TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s fantasy novel, American Gods

Update: July 18, 2016

First Look at Bilquis, the Ancient Goddess of Love, from AMERICAN GODS

Production continues on the highly-anticipated American Gods TV series, the adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed contemporary fantasy novel, and Starz has released the first look at Bilquis, the ancient goddess of love played by Yetide Badaki (Aquarius, Masters of Sex). An ancient goddess of love who craves the worship she inspired in eras long gone, Bilquis is eager to find that same relevance in today’s world.

9uw83m.jpg

Worship the First Look at Yetide Badaki as Bilquis from Starz's American Gods

Update: July 20, 2016

First Look at Shadow Moon and Laura in AMERICAN GODS

It’s a classic story of boy meets girl, boy marries girl, boy goes to prison and…well, you’ll find out in 2017.

One of the more interesting narrative elements of Neil Gaiman’s 2001 fantasy novel American Gods — which Starz adapts in an exciting series next year — is the supernatural love story between protagonist Shadow Moon (Ricky Whittle) and his wife, Laura (Emily Browning). Without giving too much away, Laura dies early in the tale, just as Shadow is released from prison, but their story hardly ends there.

EW has a first look at Laura and Shadow’s haunting reconnection in an early scene from American Gods, which arrives at Starz from executive producers Bryan Fuller and Michael Green. As you can tell from EW’s first look shot, Laura’s been through the resurrection ringer — just take a look at her massive chest scar for proof — but she’s here in the flesh and ready to close a chapter (or open a new one) with Shadow. She’s not quite a ghost, but in a story about gods manifesting in physical form based on the power of belief, Laura is indeed otherworldly, and Shadow’s the reason why.

000230580hr.jpg

American Gods first look: Laura and Shadow reunite — exclusive

Update: July 21, 2016

New Poster for Starz's AMERICAN GODS

o9mvbr.jpg

Update: July 22, 2016

First Trailer for Starz's AMERICAN GODS Officially Released!

I'm assuming the show will be set present day rather than when the book came out circa 2000. makes me wonder if the show will have new gods since America worships more bullshit now. twitter etc.

maybe there will be a sherdog god

I'm assuming the show will be set present day rather than when the book came out circa 2000. makes me wonder if the show will have new gods since America worships more bullshit now. twitter etc. maybe there will be a sherdog god
How about a Just Bleed God.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm assuming the show will be set present day rather than when the book came out circa 2000. makes me wonder if the show will have new gods since America worships more bullshit now. twitter etc.

maybe there will be a sherdog god

Well, yeah. Look up to post 63.

Update: July 22, 2016

Kristin Chenoweth Cast as Easter in Starz's AMERICAN GODS

Kristin-Chenoweth-American-Gods-Dragonlord.jpg

“We whipped by Easter, but we cast Easter for the show,” EP Bryan Fuller teased today at the American Gods panel at Comic-Con. That’s where he introduced Kristin Chenoweth, who has joined the upcoming Starz series based on Neil Gaiman’s 2001 novel as the goddess Easter.

“I’m exited to be reunited with my Bryan Fuller,” said the Pushing Daisies alum.

“This actually the first time I’ve met some of the cast,” she told the crowd about the show. which is set to debut in 2017. “I can’t wait come in your play box and scratch around.”

Before the panel, the ballroom crowd was shown a preview trailer of the series with Ricky Whittle as Shadow Moon and Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday, offering a brief but heavily stylized look at Crispin Glover among others cast.

Kristin Chenoweth Reunites with Pushing Daisies Creator Bryan Fuller for American Gods

Update: July 23, 2016

AMERICAN GODS Comic-Con Panel Highlights; Neil Gaiman Planning Sequel Novel

American-Gods-Comic-Con-Panel-072316-Dragonlord.jpg

During the Comic-Con panel for American Gods, EP Bryan Fuller was joined by fellow EP/showrunner Michael Green, author and producer Neil Gaiman, director David Slade, plus cast members Whittle, McShane, Pablo Schreiber (Mad Sweeney), Yetide Badaki (Bilquis), and Bruce Langley (Technical Boy).

As for more former collaborators joining the show, the former Hannibal EP said, “As soon as schedules line up, we’d love it” having cast from that show join American Gods.

Said Gaiman after receiving a standing ovation from the audience: “We get to spend a lot more time with a lot more characters than in the book,” in addressing the differences between his novel and the series.

“Three years from America citizen to American God,” joked Badaki as an immigration storyline was discussed. “There was no push-back and complete agreement,” Gaiman noted, saying all wanted to keep the racial makeup of the characters in the book the same. “We got a lot of credit for that, but it should be the norm for adaptations,” Green said to applause.

Gaiman indicated it is “looking more and more likely” that he’ll be writing an American Gods sequel novel — which got a big roar from the crowd.

Author and Executive Producers Talk 'American Gods' at the San Diego Comic-Con Panel

Back